Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SB 573: Disposal of unclaimed firearms; Capitol Police.

  1. #1
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    SB 573: Disposal of unclaimed firearms; Capitol Police.

    SB 573: Disposal of unclaimed firearms; Capitol Police.

    Disposal of unclaimed firearms; Capitol Police. Provides that the Division of Capitol Police may destroy unclaimed firearms or other weapons after the items have been in their possession for 60 days.



    I'm somewhat hard-pressed to imagine that this is very much of a problem... and what's the deal with destroying the gun? They need to add in Paragraph B of Mark Cole's HB 22 to require the attempted sale of such guns to licensed dealers first, then if no takers, they may be disposed of.

    TFred


    HB 22: Firearms; disposition thereof acquired by localities.


    B. Any ordinance enacted pursuant to this section shall require that any firearm received, except a firearm of the type defined in 18.2-288 or 18.2-299, shall be offered for sale by public auction or sealed bids to a person licensed as a dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 921 et seq. Notice of the date, time, and place of sale shall be given by advertisement in at least two newspapers published and having general circulation in the Commonwealth, at least one of which shall have general circulation in the locality in which the property to be sold is located. At least 30 days shall elapse between publication of the notice and the auction or the date on which sealed bids will be opened. Any firearm remaining in possession of the locality or agent of the locality after attempts to sell at public auction or by sealed bids shall be disposed of in a manner the locality deems proper, which may include destruction of the firearm or, subject to any registration requirements of federal law, sale of the firearm to a licensed dealer.

  2. #2
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Question

    Sale to licensed dealers or auction sale to anyone who is not otherwise prohibited.

    These idiots are always looking for vehicles to increase municipal revenue, I can't understand why they would let a cash cow like this slip through their fingers.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  3. #3
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    SB 573: Disposal of unclaimed firearms; Capitol Police.

    Disposal of unclaimed firearms; Capitol Police. Provides that the Division of Capitol Police may destroy unclaimed firearms or other weapons after the items have been in their possession for 60 days.



    I'm somewhat hard-pressed to imagine that this is very much of a problem... and what's the deal with destroying the gun? They need to add in Paragraph B of Mark Cole's HB 22 to require the attempted sale of such guns to licensed dealers first, then if no takers, they may be disposed of.

    TFred


    HB 22: Firearms; disposition thereof acquired by localities.


    B. Any ordinance enacted pursuant to this section shall require that any firearm received, except a firearm of the type defined in 18.2-288 or 18.2-299, shall be offered for sale by public auction or sealed bids to a person licensed as a dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 921 et seq. Notice of the date, time, and place of sale shall be given by advertisement in at least two newspapers published and having general circulation in the Commonwealth, at least one of which shall have general circulation in the locality in which the property to be sold is located. At least 30 days shall elapse between publication of the notice and the auction or the date on which sealed bids will be opened. Any firearm remaining in possession of the locality or agent of the locality after attempts to sell at public auction or by sealed bids shall be disposed of in a manner the locality deems proper, which may include destruction of the firearm or, subject to any registration requirements of federal law, sale of the firearm to a licensed dealer.
    This notice should also be required to be conspicuously posted on the locality's web site!

    So if nobody bids (or no satisfctory bids are received) during the public auction, the locality can just select a dealer and make an offer of sale? Talk about the potential for graft!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  4. #4
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Sale to licensed dealers or auction sale to anyone who is not otherwise prohibited.

    These idiots [ding ding ding ding ding] are always looking for vehicles to increase municipal revenue, I can't understand why they would let a cash cow like this slip through their fingers.
    I answered your question.

    They wouldn't do a private sale. The point is that using a dealer puts the gun "back in the system", even if it was "on the street."

    [By the way, the fact that the anti-gun folks generally oppose reselling and prefer destruction reveals that they truly believe that even law-abiding gun-owner citizens are really criminals. They do not view putting a gun back into the full legal accountability of the FFL is any better than it being on the street to begin with.

    TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 01-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I answered your question.

    They wouldn't do a private sale. The point is that using a dealer puts the gun "back in the system", even if it was "on the street."

    [By the way, the fact that the anti-gun folks generally oppose reselling and prefer destruction reveals that they truly believe that even law-abiding gun-owner citizens are really criminals. They do not view putting a gun back into the full legal accountability of the FFL is any better than it being on the street to begin with.

    TFred
    Because any gun not in the hands of LEO is on the street to them...

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596
    VCDL is opposing this as written. I will talk to Senator Carrico about trying to sell the guns first, and if that fails, then destruction is an option.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •