• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lost a dream job on principle

Prophet

So, the short condensed version of the story is as follows. For the past 3 months or so I have been working as a personal trainer and business manager for an exclusive fitness center in Pittsburgh. Not exclusive snooty but exclusive pricey - $100 a week exclusive. Anyways, we were doing some remodeling that I was arranging in order to put in some pull up bars and punching bags so on an off day when there wouldn't be any clients in I swung by the gym, it was a nice day so no jacket, OCing my 1911 as I do, to check out the progress. My boss Christina was there and we went over some remodeling ideas for the place and shot the breeze for about 30 minutes until her kids showed up (10 yr olds or so). I have other errands to run so I bid them a good day and go.

Later in the evening I get an email telling me who disrespected she felt that I carried my gun in the gym and how I didn't even cover it up when her children came - ahhh, the CHILDREN!!! - suffice it to say, I'm blown away. In her email she made it seem like I was some aberation of normal society...like i was defective. I email saying im blown away and that i really didn't feel comfortable comin in on sunday because of what she said.

Fast forward on Tuesday when I go in and she and another trainer and I have a meeting in which I am told that if I wish to continue to work there I will have to stop Open Carrying...IN PITTSBURGH! The entire city. Here rationale was that since I represent her business that clients might feel uncomfortable with me if they saw me on the street OC'ing. I find that ridiculous though im sure there are people who would feel that way. Just like there are people who might not want to be trained by a homosexual or a black guy but would she tolerate those kind of clients? I wonder.

Anyways, she gives me until tonight to decide whether I want to keep my job. Im not gonna lie fellas...it was tempting...until I came to my senses. This is the email I sent her...which I guess is my letter of resignation.

Chris,

The depth of soul searching and questioning I have done in the past 24 hours is a testament to how much I love working at the gym and for you. With that being said, I cannot in good conscience continue to be a trainer with your restriction on the manner of how I live my life and practice my patriotism.

I asked everyone I knew, Jake, roommates, co-workers at (my other job) and to the last one they all agreed that I should capitulate and do as you ask. They all know how much I love working for you...but they aren't the ones who'd have to look at themselves in mirror and judge themselves to be a sellout of their beliefs.

I slept very fitfully last night, tossing and turning, weighing the costs of one little self betrayal against the opportunity and potential there is. I even turned to religion to help me find a way but alas, as the book says,

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul."

I grasp that you and others don't understand why this is such an important issue to me but if I were to do as you ask I would turn my back upon one of the very foundations of my being. This isn't some Army hold over thing that I can "get past" or re-evaluate. This is a firm and honestly held belief that if, for a few pieces of silver, I were to turn from would morally bankrupt me.

And I could have lied to you. I could have said "I'll do as you ask". I could wear a coat for the rest of winter, and then after that, risk that I wouldn't run into anyone from the gym. I could do that save for 2 reasons, 1: I'd be lying about what I believe in which is just as bad as turning away from it and 2: I respect you too much to lie.

Its funny that this came up this week, the week of Martin Luther King Jrs birthday because I had been spending time reading over things he said and things he went through and now, looking back on a thing he said I am almost ashamed that I weighed your ultimatum for so long. He said:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

My principles wouldn't amount to anything and therefore would be worthless if I just tossed them aside at the first difficult decision that was forced upon me. My principles may be tossing aside the best opportunity I have had in a good long while, but that is merely a reflection of how deeply those principles run in me.

Would you really prefer if I could simply toss them aside and do as you ask? Would that really be the kind of person you wanted in your business?

It makes me heart sick that I have to say no to you in this matter...but it would kill the small idealistic part of me if I said yes.

-Prophet

She responded quickly saying that I should toss my feelings to the wind and its not who i am its who i am choosing to be.

I knew she wouldn't understand. But I feel good and can go to bed tonight a man, and not so pariah who would sell his soul for some pieces of silver.

And please, no bashing...she's a good boss. Just very misguided in this.

But any thoughts pro or con would be welcomed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Are you salaried or hourly? If the latter, you are NOT representing her in ANY WAY when you are off the clock.

Either way, and nice lady or not, I'm thinking her request was ILLEGAL. Do you have her ultimatum in writing?

Last edited:

tyc

If as you presented it your story is true, "good boss" or not, you do of course realize you have rights. That you wish to ignore those rights and seek employment elsewhere, that to is your right.

tyc

PistolPackingMomma

I think you did what was hard, but right. Thank you for standing up for your principles, and showing your boss (and anyone she confides in) that you will not go whatever direction the wind blows, just because it howls.

wrightme

If as you presented it your story is true, "good boss" or not, you do of course realize you have rights. That you wish to ignore those rights and seek employment elsewhere, that to is your right.

tyc

That does not compute. Since he is aware he has rights, he IS seeking employment elsewhere.

wrightme

Are you salaried or hourly? If the latter, you are NOT representing her in ANY WAY when you are off the clock.

Either way, and nice lady or not, I'm thinking her request was ILLEGAL. Do you have her ultimatum in writing?

What has she done that is illegal? What law do you allege she has broken?

Pat Gardner

I congratulate you, i think what she did was wrong, specially telling you to stop oc in the entire city just so you can keep your job. I'm sure there is a job out there that would proudly have you work for them and want you to oc, might even keep their business safer. keep carrying on

OC for ME

<snip> And please, no bashing...she's a good boss. Just very misguided in this. <snip>
....uh, no, she is not a good boss. Let alone a good person.

She has demonstrated that she has little regard for you and your liberty. She used her position as your boss to extort your off-work behaviors. Her way or the highway. This is the foulest of deeds in my view. The very core of the liberal mindset.

If I have a 'friend' such as this a friend no more they would be.

Cracker

....uh, no, she is not a good boss. Let alone a good person.

She has demonstrated that she has little regard for you and your liberty. She used her position as your boss to extort your off-work behaviors. Her way or the highway. This is the foulest of deeds in my view. The very core of the liberal mindset.

If I have a 'friend' such as this a friend no more they would be.

+1, she may have been a good "boss" while you, in her opionion are a good person, until she found out that you excersize your rights. That in itself should negate any feelings of her being a "good boss". You handled it VERY well and expressed your thoughts wonderfully but, she's not the kind of person I would care to associate myself with. The fact that she tried to dictate what you do in your personal life is absolutely out of bounds and I'm glad you did not tolerate it. People like her are the very reason we have to Fight for our Rights and we should never have to fight for those. They belong to us, OURS, not hers to tell what to do with.

This could be a blessing in dusguise, you'll find something else and be just as happy at some point down the road. Sleep WELL, you made a great decision.

OC for ME

+1, she may have been a good "boss" while you, in her opinion are a good person, until she found out that you exercise your rights. That in itself should negate any feelings of her being a "good boss". You handled it VERY well and expressed your thoughts wonderfully but, she's not the kind of person I would care to associate myself with. The fact that she tried to dictate what you do in your personal life is absolutely out of bounds and I'm glad you did not tolerate it. People like her are the very reason we have to Fight for our Rights and we should never have to fight for those. They belong to us, OURS, not hers to tell what to do with.

This could be a blessing in disguise, you'll find something else and be just as happy at some point down the road. Sleep WELL, you made a great decision.
I get your drift.

But, the comma after the +1 seems to indicate that you are referring to me and not Prophet....to those who are just skimming through the posts.

I agree with you, it is a blessing and a opportunity, not a problem for Prophet. Knowing who are your friends and who are not is very important in life. The down side is the views of the circle of friends and acquaintances from the gym. Are there others with the boss's views?

It is a difficult to weigh principals vs. friendships. I have friends who may hold opposite views from mine on certain issues but they would never attempt to impose their views on me, or else. If they attempted to do so, they would be friends no more.

Aknazer

What has she done that is illegal? What law do you allege she has broken?

I don't know the laws regarding termination but if she has broken any laws it is likely to revolve around firing or threatening to fire him for exercising his rights outside of work. This would be akin to firing someone because of their religious preference regardless of what their on duty performance is like.

OC for ME

While a court win on that grounds would be great for advancing our self defense rights, that whole 'protected class' thing keeps intruding on my thoughts.

DocWalker

I bet she wished you were still there if she is every attacked in the parking lot one night. Not saying it would happen but it could, maybe she will defend herself with a "I'm unarmed leave me alone line".

I hope you find a new job soon, with a boss that actually believes in the USA.

eb31

I commend you on you convictions. I'm currently changing careers as a result of my beliefs and ideals.

FallonJeeper

I do applaud you for standing up for what you believe. I also hope you'll work it out and get hired back or get a new position very soon.

An employer can ask you to do/not do things while on the clock. You then have a choice to follow those rules, or seek employement elsewhere. But if you're off the clock, it's should be none of their business, as long as you are obeying the laws. It seems companies can fire you for little or no reason these days.

I don't OC at work, because it's company policy. I knew that when I accepted the position. But, when I'm not on the company's dime, it's my time to do as I wish.

I might have offered a compromise, maybe not OC at work, but off time is none of her concern, unless you are out there representing her business.

Last edited:

Operator_223

sue the bitch for 2 million dollars plus court / lawyer costs for illegal termination (under duress / extortion) she cant tell you what to do on your own time.

Aknazer

While a court win on that grounds would be great for advancing our self defense rights, that whole 'protected class' thing keeps intruding on my thoughts.

It's less about being a protected class and more about trying to control your off duty time (or as someone else said, trying to extort you). I might be wrong, but to me a protected class would be where you can't fire someone because of what they so while on the job (such as taking time out of the work day to pray and being forced to pay them for that time, etc).