Thread: Question about carrying while engaging in a political campaign

Question about carrying while engaging in a political campaign

Hey everyone

I have a question regarding carry while I am out and about spreading the word about the person I want to be president. I have looked through all of the T.C.A 39-13 codes about firearms on LexisNexis and I do not see any law saying no. I just wanted to see if anyone else might see it in there and I am over looking it. I know that if there isn't a law against it then its legal lol, I just don't want to overlook the law saying NO and get into a confrontation with a LEO. I am going to be with a group of people on a public sidewalk holding signs in Memphis on Saturday and I am pretty sure we are in the clear to carry. Any info is greatly appreciated in advance!

No statute I know of that could remotely be interpreted to forbid it.

- OS

I agree with OS.

I know some states have laws that prohibit carry when you are at certain events/functions but TN has no such laws, just prohibitation at certain locations.
    Last edited by Fallguy; 01-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks guys that's the conclusion I cam up with too. Don't know if I'll opencarry or not but I'll be carrying for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by utbob2004 View Post
    Thanks guys that's the conclusion I cam up with too. Don't know if I'll opencarry or not but I'll be carrying for sure!
    Well, if you OC, realize that no matter who you're stumping for, it may well not be a persuasive positive, likely even to some who are already leaning your way.

- OS

Well, if you OC, realize that no matter who you're stumping for, it may well not be a persuasive positive, likely even to some who are already leaning your way.
    I doubt it'd be much of a persuasive negative either though, not at a public rally... now if he were campaigning door to door, that'd be a whole different can of worms.