Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Store fined $30K for stocking toy guns

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948

    Store fined $30K for stocking toy guns

    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/01/...#ixzz1jmSH5VxQ

    NEW YORK, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- A New York discount store was ordered to pay a $30,000 fine for stocking toy guns that were deemed to be too realistic.

    Andrew Tilem, lawyer for the odds-and-ends store called 99˘ Target, said the fine amounts to $5,000 for each of the six toy sheriff sets put up for sale at the store in Brooklyn's Flatbush neighborhood, the New York Post reported Tuesday.

    Tilem said the vender for the toys, JMD All Star of New Jersey, told owner Jamal Ahmed the sets, which included orange plastic-tipped toy guns, were legal for sale and one of the store's managers failed to inform the owner when a city inspector wrote the store up for stocking the items.

    City regulations bar the sale of realistic toy weapons.

    Tilem said Ahmed missed a hearing due to not being informed by the manager and the city imposed the $30,000 fine, which he described as "a really, really abusive penalty."

    A spokeswoman for the city's Consumer Affairs department said the fine was appealed, but upheld.

    "Realistic-looking imitation guns are illegal and dangerous, and just last week, a 15-year-old in Texas was killed while holding one of these guns," she said.

  2. #2
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Really???

    http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Ranger-Gun-Set/dp/B0033T7PRQ

    NY and NYC are lost causes.....if the citizens of New York and NYC don't care, why should anyone else.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  3. #3
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    How many times has Bloomberg and his cohort been re-elected, since 2002 when he took office? By what principle has he changed political party so many times, to the point of damning the parties as mere opportunists sucking up to the twelfth richest anus in the world (no, he is not an old woman 'anus', but an anus none the less).

    At some point New York must take responsibility for their circumstances and protect us from its influence.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    That's story is so ridiculous, that I don't even know what to say. New York has some of the dumbest laws out there.

    The gun from Texas was a pellet gun actually capable of causing damage and it did not have an orange tip.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    A pizza-pistol is capable of causing damage - stuffed in your eye - and does not have a pink tit. "GUN! Shoot!"

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post

    A spokeswoman for the city's Consumer Affairs department said the fine was appealed, but upheld.

    "Realistic-looking imitation guns are illegal and dangerous, and just last week, a 15-year-old in Texas was killed while holding one of these guns," she said.
    Mail her a couple of toy guns ....

  7. #7
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Mail her a couple of toy guns ....
    Haha I just might. $10 toy gun + $5 shipping equals priceless news story the next day.

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  8. #8
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Better yet, send her a couple of these pistols. Then call in a tip to the cops telling them she has a pair of illegal pearl handle pistols and your scared.

    They are ILLEGAL according to her, I wonder if they would do one of those NO KNOCK, MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, SWAT TEAM RAIDS....lol

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek, ,
    Posts
    559
    "Deemed too realistic" AKA anything that even remotely has a gun shape to it, those people are criminally insane and are in serious need of psychological help and heavy medication!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    The irony here, is that it is a toy for little boys and girls who want to wear a badge, pretending that they are police officers.

  11. #11
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    The irony here, is that it is a toy for little boys and girls who want to wear a badge, pretending that they are police officers.
    Maybe the powers to be are afraid the little boys and girls will do a better job than the real police and don't want the competition.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    City regulations bar the sale of realistic toy weapons.

  13. #13
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I'm sending this article & the Amazon link to This Is True.
    Someone else needs to send it to Leno.
    Only by exposing these idiots to public ridicule is there any hope of stopping their stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  14. #14
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I'm sending this article & the Amazon link to This Is True.
    Someone else needs to send it to Leno.
    Only by exposing these idiots to public ridicule is there any hope of stopping their stupidity.
    Do you really think they care about what the public thinks? I don't hold much hope they would even get the whole public ridicule thing.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    No, but they love to make people look ridiculous for a laugh. This is a sure bet, It's worth a shot.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    377
    In NYC I hear you get shot by the police getting your wallet out for your ID. A cop can just yell GUN! and multiple officers will let loose on you. I don't think I will be vacationing there any time soon... too bad... my wife likes to spend ALOT of money on vacation.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    In NYC I hear you get shot by the police getting your wallet out for your ID. A cop can just yell GUN! and multiple officers will let loose on you.

    Not just NYC--all over the nation. The Feds (DHS specifically) are training local LEOs that if a "suspect" makes any moves with their hands that could POSSIBLY be a move to retrieve a weapon, they are supposed to yell "GUN". Even if that motion is being made at the direction of an LEO.

    This would just seem stupid and paranoid if it weren't for the second part of the training.

    Per DHS and US DOJ guidelines, many LEAs use the word "GUN" on their training ranges to signal to officers on the firing line that it is time to draw and shoot.

    So they are being given muscle-memory training to respond to the word "GUN" on the range by drawing and firing, and then they are being told that ANY TIME a "suspect" goes into their clothing with their hands--even when instructed to do so by an LEO--that they are to yell "GUN"...

    Do the math, people.

    The only thing that a rational person could deduce from DHS's training policies is that DHS wants cops to shoot innocent people.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florissant, Mo
    Posts
    227
    ....THAT'S WHY I HATE VISITING NYC. People are generally good. The laws are what F*** you! With New Jersey laws of not filling your own gas tank... that will lead to you a jail cell. But "realistic" guns???? WTF. So what's next NYC???? Put a ban on boxing gloves because.... it promotes fighting?

    And try to use the excues of the kid in Texas being shot... got to look at the whole thing. What was the kid doing with the "toy"? Look at the time laspe from, what the kid doing with it til the cops showed up. You meaning during all that, no one really confronted the kid and ask if it was real (with the big red tip).

    But... next to NYC, is STL with its crazy laws. The mayor in STC...wow. They still have Jefferson City (about 200 miles away) still in charge of the cops in ST. Louis City??? All because a law/rule back from the civil war???!!! With that stupid laws stating that, if you work for the city (ST. Louis City), you MUST live in (ST. Louis City).... but you don't see the reps working in government bound to living in Jefferson City.

    Big cities are known for having crazy laws and fines. GOD help you if you need an inspection for a house. They will fail you for a few paint cracks on a exterior door, but they will pass their buildings that been vacant for years.

    In my opinion... don't visit NYC unless you know 50% of the current laws. If not, chances are you will be fined for something. Like parking within 10 feet of a fire hydrant but you are 20 feet away, catching a non liscense cab, walking in a park after hours, J-walking, Not carrying at least 20 bucks for toll fees, etc. Its not a place for the poor and working class.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    At many LEO ranges, the range officer will yell "GUN" to signal the all clear to start shooting. I found out even locally they do the same. Talk about poor conditioning practices and a recipe for disaster.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    ...orange plastic-tipped toy guns...
    Orange plastic-tipped guns are realistic? What are New York's finest carrying these days, anyway? Air Softs?

    I suppose the fine for sharpening popsicle sticks on the sidewalk is a thousand bucks.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    We could always start painting our muzzles orange :/

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/01/...#ixzz1jmSH5VxQ

    NEW YORK, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- A New York discount store was ordered to pay a $30,000 fine for stocking toy guns that were deemed to be too realistic.
    Words fail me.

    Well, not quite.

    I wonder if the people of NYC have reached a point where it is better to pay the Gambinos and Genoveses for protection---from the government!

  23. #23
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    And try to use the excues of the kid in Texas being shot... got to look at the whole thing. What was the kid doing with the "toy"? Look at the time laspe from, what the kid doing with it til the cops showed up. You meaning during all that, no one really confronted the kid and ask if it was real (with the big red tip).
    From what I heard, the kid assault another boy and then when the police arrived, he had the gun aimed at them or something. The police told the boy to drop it several times and he refused each time and was eventually shot. Don't really know all of the circumstances. But airsoft guns, especially the higher quality ones are made to resemble the real thing as much as possible. Fed law dictates that they must have an orange tip when sold, but at no other time is this required except for state law. Unless, I'm mistaken, there is no state law in Texas mandating an orange tip at all times. So many high quality airsoft guns will have a removable tip. This is to facilitate air soft leagues and what now. I mean, would you really want to play paintball with an paintball gun that prominently features an orange tip? Same applies to air soft matches. The gun the boy had either never had an orange tip(pellet guns do not require them) or had it removed.

    This incident should not in anyway be used as a case for outlawing toy guns and air soft/pellet gun replicas.

  24. #24
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    From what I heard, the kid assault another boy and then when the police arrived, he had the gun aimed at them or something. The police told the boy to drop it several times and he refused each time and was eventually shot. Don't really know all of the circumstances. But airsoft guns, especially the higher quality ones are made to resemble the real thing as much as possible. Fed law dictates that they must have an orange tip when sold, but at no other time is this required except for state law. Unless, I'm mistaken, there is no state law in Texas mandating an orange tip at all times. So many high quality airsoft guns will have a removable tip. This is to facilitate air soft leagues and what now. I mean, would you really want to play paintball with an paintball gun that prominently features an orange tip? Same applies to air soft matches. The gun the boy had either never had an orange tip(pellet guns do not require them) or had it removed.

    This incident should not in anyway be used as a case for outlawing toy guns and air soft/pellet gun replicas.
    This is nothing more than our goverment trying to take more control over our lives under the vail of "It is for your safety".

  25. #25
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    This is nothing more than our goverment trying to take more control over our lives under the vail of "It is for your safety".
    You're talking about NY, right? Because you know, I do agree. NYC's claim is BS. I was trying to highlight that by pointing out the case which they tried to twist as simply a teenaged boy getting shot and killed just because he was holding a toy gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •