• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Store fined $30K for stocking toy guns

stainless1911

Banned
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/01/...#ixzz1jmSH5VxQ

NEW YORK, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- A New York discount store was ordered to pay a $30,000 fine for stocking toy guns that were deemed to be too realistic.

Andrew Tilem, lawyer for the odds-and-ends store called 99¢ Target, said the fine amounts to $5,000 for each of the six toy sheriff sets put up for sale at the store in Brooklyn's Flatbush neighborhood, the New York Post reported Tuesday.

Tilem said the vender for the toys, JMD All Star of New Jersey, told owner Jamal Ahmed the sets, which included orange plastic-tipped toy guns, were legal for sale and one of the store's managers failed to inform the owner when a city inspector wrote the store up for stocking the items.

City regulations bar the sale of realistic toy weapons.

Tilem said Ahmed missed a hearing due to not being informed by the manager and the city imposed the $30,000 fine, which he described as "a really, really abusive penalty."

A spokeswoman for the city's Consumer Affairs department said the fine was appealed, but upheld.

"Realistic-looking imitation guns are illegal and dangerous, and just last week, a 15-year-old in Texas was killed while holding one of these guns," she said.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

How many times has Bloomberg and his cohort been re-elected, since 2002 when he took office? By what principle has he changed political party so many times, to the point of damning the parties as mere opportunists sucking up to the twelfth richest anus in the world (no, he is not an old woman 'anus', but an anus none the less).

At some point New York must take responsibility for their circumstances and protect us from its influence.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That's story is so ridiculous, that I don't even know what to say. New York has some of the dumbest laws out there.

The gun from Texas was a pellet gun actually capable of causing damage and it did not have an orange tip.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

A pizza-pistol is capable of causing damage - stuffed in your eye - and does not have a pink tit. "GUN! Shoot!"

davidmcbeth

Banned
A spokeswoman for the city's Consumer Affairs department said the fine was appealed, but upheld.

"Realistic-looking imitation guns are illegal and dangerous, and just last week, a 15-year-old in Texas was killed while holding one of these guns," she said.

Mail her a couple of toy guns ....

DocWalker

Better yet, send her a couple of these pistols. Then call in a tip to the cops telling them she has a pair of illegal pearl handle pistols and your scared.

They are ILLEGAL according to her, I wonder if they would do one of those NO KNOCK, MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, SWAT TEAM RAIDS....lol

Sheldon

"Deemed too realistic" AKA anything that even remotely has a gun shape to it, those people are criminally insane and are in serious need of psychological help and heavy medication!

Superlite27

City regulations bar the sale of realistic toy weapons.

darthdaddy.jpg

MKEgal

I'm sending this article & the Amazon link to This Is True.
Someone else needs to send it to Leno.
Only by exposing these idiots to public ridicule is there any hope of stopping their stupidity.

DocWalker

I'm sending this article & the Amazon link to This Is True.
Someone else needs to send it to Leno.
Only by exposing these idiots to public ridicule is there any hope of stopping their stupidity.

Do you really think they care about what the public thinks? I don't hold much hope they would even get the whole public ridicule thing.

Ken56

In NYC I hear you get shot by the police getting your wallet out for your ID. A cop can just yell GUN! and multiple officers will let loose on you. I don't think I will be vacationing there any time soon... too bad... my wife likes to spend ALOT of money on vacation.

Dreamer

In NYC I hear you get shot by the police getting your wallet out for your ID. A cop can just yell GUN! and multiple officers will let loose on you.

Not just NYC--all over the nation. The Feds (DHS specifically) are training local LEOs that if a "suspect" makes any moves with their hands that could POSSIBLY be a move to retrieve a weapon, they are supposed to yell "GUN". Even if that motion is being made at the direction of an LEO.

This would just seem stupid and paranoid if it weren't for the second part of the training.

Per DHS and US DOJ guidelines, many LEAs use the word "GUN" on their training ranges to signal to officers on the firing line that it is time to draw and shoot.

So they are being given muscle-memory training to respond to the word "GUN" on the range by drawing and firing, and then they are being told that ANY TIME a "suspect" goes into their clothing with their hands--even when instructed to do so by an LEO--that they are to yell "GUN"...

Do the math, people.

The only thing that a rational person could deduce from DHS's training policies is that DHS wants cops to shoot innocent people.

Last edited:

Firedawg314

....THAT'S WHY I HATE VISITING NYC. People are generally good. The laws are what F*** you! With New Jersey laws of not filling your own gas tank... that will lead to you a jail cell. But "realistic" guns???? WTF. So what's next NYC???? Put a ban on boxing gloves because.... it promotes fighting?

And try to use the excues of the kid in Texas being shot... got to look at the whole thing. What was the kid doing with the "toy"? Look at the time laspe from, what the kid doing with it til the cops showed up. You meaning during all that, no one really confronted the kid and ask if it was real (with the big red tip).

But... next to NYC, is STL with its crazy laws. The mayor in STC...wow. They still have Jefferson City (about 200 miles away) still in charge of the cops in ST. Louis City??? All because a law/rule back from the civil war???!!! With that stupid laws stating that, if you work for the city (ST. Louis City), you MUST live in (ST. Louis City).... but you don't see the reps working in government bound to living in Jefferson City.

Big cities are known for having crazy laws and fines. GOD help you if you need an inspection for a house. They will fail you for a few paint cracks on a exterior door, but they will pass their buildings that been vacant for years.

In my opinion... don't visit NYC unless you know 50% of the current laws. If not, chances are you will be fined for something. Like parking within 10 feet of a fire hydrant but you are 20 feet away, catching a non liscense cab, walking in a park after hours, J-walking, Not carrying at least 20 bucks for toll fees, etc. Its not a place for the poor and working class.

Motofixxer

At many LEO ranges, the range officer will yell "GUN" to signal the all clear to start shooting. I found out even locally they do the same. Talk about poor conditioning practices and a recipe for disaster.