• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Store fined $30K for stocking toy guns

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Jack House

And try to use the excues of the kid in Texas being shot... got to look at the whole thing. What was the kid doing with the "toy"? Look at the time laspe from, what the kid doing with it til the cops showed up. You meaning during all that, no one really confronted the kid and ask if it was real (with the big red tip).
From what I heard, the kid assault another boy and then when the police arrived, he had the gun aimed at them or something. The police told the boy to drop it several times and he refused each time and was eventually shot. Don't really know all of the circumstances. But airsoft guns, especially the higher quality ones are made to resemble the real thing as much as possible. Fed law dictates that they must have an orange tip when sold, but at no other time is this required except for state law. Unless, I'm mistaken, there is no state law in Texas mandating an orange tip at all times. So many high quality airsoft guns will have a removable tip. This is to facilitate air soft leagues and what now. I mean, would you really want to play paintball with an paintball gun that prominently features an orange tip? Same applies to air soft matches. The gun the boy had either never had an orange tip(pellet guns do not require them) or had it removed.

This incident should not in anyway be used as a case for outlawing toy guns and air soft/pellet gun replicas.

DocWalker

From what I heard, the kid assault another boy and then when the police arrived, he had the gun aimed at them or something. The police told the boy to drop it several times and he refused each time and was eventually shot. Don't really know all of the circumstances. But airsoft guns, especially the higher quality ones are made to resemble the real thing as much as possible. Fed law dictates that they must have an orange tip when sold, but at no other time is this required except for state law. Unless, I'm mistaken, there is no state law in Texas mandating an orange tip at all times. So many high quality airsoft guns will have a removable tip. This is to facilitate air soft leagues and what now. I mean, would you really want to play paintball with an paintball gun that prominently features an orange tip? Same applies to air soft matches. The gun the boy had either never had an orange tip(pellet guns do not require them) or had it removed.

This incident should not in anyway be used as a case for outlawing toy guns and air soft/pellet gun replicas.

This is nothing more than our goverment trying to take more control over our lives under the vail of "It is for your safety".

Jack House

This is nothing more than our goverment trying to take more control over our lives under the vail of "It is for your safety".
You're talking about NY, right? Because you know, I do agree. NYC's claim is BS. I was trying to highlight that by pointing out the case which they tried to twist as simply a teenaged boy getting shot and killed just because he was holding a toy gun.

Firedawg314

Come to think about... I seen a lot of pellet guns and soft bb guns here that do not have the "orange tip" I have seen some that do. Yeah that boy in Texas... I cannot help to think about... the time the teachers knew about it to the times the cops where called. To a certain extent... the kid had to know... this is going to get me into so much trouble. Espeically when the cops got there, and their guns are drawn on him...and he still refused to drop the gun... what would you do? Its like being overseas again... if you meet a kid who have a gun aimed at you... you better drop him, because he's going to drop you. Now on the homefront... me... I probably try to knock him the F** out with a baton, chair, etc. something. Call a sharpshooter to blow his leg off... something.

Firedawg314

You're talking about NY, right? Because you know, I do agree. NYC's claim is BS. I was trying to highlight that by pointing out the case which they tried to twist as simply a teenaged boy getting shot and killed just because he was holding a toy gun.

Really... what is "safety"?
I, you and everyone else have a view of "safety". I see a world where people are allow to have a firearm, even hanging off their back windows, that a fellon can have one at his or her home (depending on the law they broke in the past)... because now-a-days, it doesn't take much for you to be considered a "fellon".

I think for NYC, it should be up to the voters to decide about their safety.

Sheldon

As a kid back in the early 60's , I had one of these gun sets ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

A few months ago I saw an old 60's magazine ad for these gun sets and at the bottom it said , " not for sale in Mass. or NY. " So even way back then they were banning some toy guns.

I had the derringer version of that and wanted the revolver!!! I still have my "Johnny 7 OMA" stored with the rest of my antique toys....