• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Know the law when it pertains to carrying concealed weapons in banks

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"Never ever accept legal advice from an enforcer of the law. Remember that "you may beat the rap but you cannot beat their ride."

Accept legal advice only from your personal paid legal representative, your attorney.

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth."

Bronson

News article today, seems to indicate that Open Carry is not allowed in Banks with a CPL (based upon the article wording).

I don't see the problem.

From the article (bolded emphasis is mine):
MCL 750.234d(1)(a) prohibits a person from possessing a firearm on the premises of a “depository finacial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.” Accordingly, a person is prohibited from carrying a firearm on the premises of a bank or credit union, unless the person is exempt. This applies whether the person is carrying a concealed pistol or non-concealed pistol. However, individuals carrying a concealed pistols illegally may be charged with violating Michigan's carrying a concealed weapon statute, MCL 750.227, in addition to the charge for violating MCL 750.234d.
MCL 750.234(2) lists the people who are exempt from MCL 750.234d(1). The following people are exempt:

A person who owns, is employed by or contracted by, an entity listed in MCL 750.234d(1) if the possession of the firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
A peace officer.
A person licensed by Michigan or another state to carry a concealed weapon. A person who possesses a firearm on the premises with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity. Accordingly, a person who possess a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may lawfully carry a pistol, concealed or non-concealed, on the premises of a bank or credit union.

Bronson

Last edited:

griffin

I think the OP is referring to the LEO summary at the end which states:

a Michigan CPL holder may legally carry a concealed pistol on the premises

which seems to indicate OC is not allowed, only CC.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I didn't see a problem either, what are we missing?
Obviously the change in font from the [big]big bold words ex-cathedra[/big] of the chief enforcer to the eeney weenie little of the actual statute.

PDinDetroit

I think the OP is referring to the LEO summary at the end which states:

a Michigan CPL holder may legally carry a concealed pistol on the premises

which seems to indicate OC is not allowed, only CC.

Precisely. Subtle, but important point.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Obviously the change in font from the [big]big bold words ex-cathedra[/big] of the chief enforcer to the eeney weenie little of the actual statute.

I have read a couple other OPINION COLUMNS from Sgt. Mark E. Thompson and they are most of the time right on. I have read far worse OPINION COLUMNS about Open Carry in Michigan. From the article, it appears that he contacted the right person in the MSP:

To make sure I convey the right information I contacted Sgt. Aimee Maike, Michigan State Police - Headquarters, Office of the Director, Legal Resource and Education Unit, to help me answer this question.

Sgt. Aimee Maike is the one who created Michigan State Police Legal Update #86 which is completely dedicated to Open Carry in Michigan and had the involvement from MOC/OCDO/MGO Member autosurgeon. This Legal Update has been provided to every Police Department in Michigan and since that time OC'er-LEO Bad Interactions have dropped substantially to the point of almost being non-existent. Sgt. Aimee Maike, from the posts I read on MGO and OCDO, is quite knowledgeable, helpful, and is supportive of rights. For your reference, the link to MSP Legal Update #86 is below.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

PDinDetroit

I think your tinfoil is too tight :p

Bronson

Could be, maybe why I am having so many headaches lately! :banghead:

My thread post was not to make a big deal about it, was more to post that the article existed and asking for help from someone who uses FaceBook. For people like you and I who understand the law very well, we read it and already know that OC with a CPL is allowed in a Bank. A person who is not as familar with the law that reads the OPINION PIECE and could come away thinking that OC is not allowed in a Bank especially with the wording used. I try my level best to put myself in a "general everyday person" mode when reading things like this.