• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aldi's in Kinston, Bad News

hamilton1049

I drove from New Bern to Kinston today to go to Aldi as we are want to do each month and spend about $400 on groceries, I have shopped in this store before and carried each time with no problems.

Today a young manager approached me and said she was sorry but I would have to leave my side arm in the car to continue shopping, to which I replied that I was sorry but if that was the Aldi policy I would no longer shop there. To which she replied well she was sorry but it was private property and it was not allowed. I tried to ask why it was not posted to which she only replied it was private property and I had to leave.

It was evident further discussion would only cause trouble so I left.

I got home and promptly e-mailed Aldis Corporate and requested a clarification of their policy and await their reply.

Dreamer

I don't know what Aldi's official corporate policy is, but here is my guess at what happened...

This manager is a hopolophobe, probably from some god-forsaken Yankee enclave up north. She doesn't like guns, and hates the idea tha ta mere commoner would have the ability to NOT be a victim.

She recently read some anti-article about "private property rights" and being able to ban guns on private property, and thinks she can just claim "private property" and ban lawful carry without consulting Corporate on their policies.

Keep at it. Keep calling and writing Aldi's Corporate Headquarters until you get an answer or a remedy.

If they agree with her, then put them on the "Friend or Foe" map as a "Foe" and broadcast this information to the world.

Good luck getting this one resolved.

hamilton1049

I don't know what Aldi's official corporate policy is, but here is my guess at what happened...

This manager is a hopolophobe, probably from some god-forsaken Yankee enclave up north. She doesn't like guns, and hates the idea tha ta mere commoner would have the ability to NOT be a victim.

She recently read some anti-article about "private property rights" and being able to ban guns on private property, and thinks she can just claim "private property" and ban lawful carry without consulting Corporate on their policies.

Keep at it. Keep calling and writing Aldi's Corporate Headquarters until you get an answer or a remedy.

If they agree with her, then put them on the "Friend or Foe" map as a "Foe" and broadcast this information to the world.

Good luck getting this one resolved.

Still no response from 2 e-mails to corporate, if I don't hear from them by c.o.b. today they'll go up on the map.

hamilton1049

Still no response from 2 e-mails to corporate, if I don't hear from them by c.o.b. today they'll go up on the map.

Finally received a call from corporate, and they apparently have no policy concerning firearms in their stores so it appears to be at the whim of the management and carrying in this store for now is not an option. I'm on my way to the Friend or Foe map to post this store as unfriendly.

ncwabbit

Suggestion…Since, according to the OP, there was no signage, you might wish want to hold off posting on the f/f db until someone goes in and has a chat w/the appropriate local management representative to validate the store’s true policy actually is, especially since corp hq apparently does not have a specific policy regarding the subject.

I would hate to cut someone off at the knee’s w/o hearing their side of the story especially since this an exemplary and good store which saves patrons money in today’s economy.

I have no problem what so ever of toddling over to Kingston on an afternoon field trip to discuss this w/management as well provide a spot of education using the NC flyer which will be left for their reading pleasure. This being done as a concerned and private citizen of course!

wabbit

ncwabbit

petite redheaded female who said she was the manager was asked about both open and conceal carry in the store. she emphatically stated we reserve the right not to serve ppl with guns on. at this point the mgr started looking closely if i was oc'g (cc actually).

she said she called her boss who stated the same response...corp policy!! she looked surprized when i mentioned that i was surprised w/that since aldi's corp rep had stated there wasnt a corp policy...mgr's response was: Really!!

imho she is parroting her boss' rethoric and she has not seen any thing in writting per se...

mtg was cordial and she listened when i talked about open carry in NC...then she had to go man a register...i said good bye and left...

wabbit

ps: nice store shame it is going on foe list ...sigh

USNRCorpsman

While my understanding is that one is able to obtain a permit to carry a handgun in Germany, I'm pretty sure that it is fairly uncommon so that carrying in their stores has more than likely not presented an issue for the parent company. Europeans seem to frown on carrying firearms generally so, if pressed and they receive guidance from there, corporate may come down against carrying in their stores.

The_Pennsylvanian

EVERY Aldi's I have EVER been to has been posted . . . . in the ones I went to , the sign was on the INSIDE set of doors , you litewrally can't see it until AFTER you have entered the premises . Now , I've never been down to one by you'uns , but in the Midwest they're all posted.

rotorhead

petite redheaded female who said she was the manager was asked about both open and conceal carry in the store. she emphatically stated we reserve the right not to serve ppl with guns on. at this point the mgr started looking closely if i was oc'g (cc actually).

she said she called her boss who stated the same response...corp policy!! she looked surprized when i mentioned that i was surprised w/that since aldi's corp rep had stated there wasnt a corp policy...mgr's response was: Really!!

imho she is parroting her boss' rethoric and she has not seen any thing in writting per se...

mtg was cordial and she listened when i talked about open carry in NC...then she had to go man a register...i said good bye and left...

wabbit

ps: nice store shame it is going on foe list ...sigh

Much appreciate the attempt, though. It's always better to get confirmation than simply tag a store based on the first incident. Sometimes it's a misunderstanding but in this case it seems this store has instututed a policy on their own. We can't do much about it but go somewhere else.

Their crap is junk anyway, imo :)

Dreamer

Aldi's is owned by a German company. Reason enough NOT to shop there--their profits go overseas to some international cartel.

Interesting note, though, is that Aldi's also owns Trader Joes, which in my experience, has been 100% OC-friendly.

The Aldi's stores in the US are under Aldi Nord, while the Trader Joes stores are under another division--Aldis Süd.

The plot thickens...

M

mattwestm

I've been to the Aldi in Greenville two or three times... Not really my cup of tea... I never noticed if they were posted or not. I guess I will have to run in there sometime this week to pick up some sauce and canned goods to check for any signs.