Thread: Open Carry at the Auto Show?

Open Carry at the Auto Show?

Is anyone planning on Open Carrying at the Auto Show?

Unfortunately not. If i'm there I'll be there for work.

I do, though last year I was turned away.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    I do, though last year I was turned away.
    That sucks! Your country trusted you to carry a squad automatic weapon [SAW] for combat in a war-zone. But Detroit won't trust you to carry a simple pistol for self preservation in theirs....go figure? Thanks for your service Sir. Carry on good man.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 01-20-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

I went last Tuesday but didn't carry because I wasn't sure about. They did look in bags an back packs of those comming in but no body serches or even questions or signs that I noticed prohibiting carry so concealed would be fine I THINK. Again, just because I didn't notice any signs or postings at the doors does'nt mean its gospel. Just say'in I wouldn't have had any trouble if I had carried concealed.

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    Is anyone planning on Open Carrying at the Auto Show?
    Unfortunately firearms are against the policy of NAIAS. That is why I don't like going. They don't use metal detectors or signs anywhere to convey this but it has been researched by many in similar threads and the consensus is you will only get in if concealed although I recommend simply not going. Last time I went I was unarmed and unnerved yet there was a high presence of armed LEO there. Not only Detroit police every 60 to 100 feet but also Wayne County Sheriff and Border Patrol officers.

Bottom line is I guess it is a safe venue once inside but its getting to and from it and your car that everyone really has to worry about. Business men were mugged at gunpoint leaving last January.

They will probably tell you to leave if you OC with no refund or go secure it in your car and come back. They won't notice if you CC but that is up to how you feel about that.
    "Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings can become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by StingMP9 View Post
    Unfortunately firearms are against the policy of NAIAS. That is why I don't like going. They don't use metal detectors or signs anywhere to convey this but it has been researched by many in similar threads and the consensus is you will only get in if concealed although I recommend simply not going. Last time I went I was unarmed and unnerved yet there was a high presence of armed LEO there. Not only Detroit police every 60 to 100 feet but also Wayne County Sheriff and Border Patrol officers.

Bottom line is I guess it is a safe venue once inside but its getting to and from it and your car that everyone really has to worry about. Business men were mugged at gunpoint leaving last January.

They will probably tell you to leave if you OC with no refund or go secure it in your car and come back. They won't notice if you CC but that is up to how you feel about that.
    Is it public, or private property? If it's public how can they stop you with preemption?

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    Is it public, or private property? If it's public how can they stop you with preemption?
    Its at Cobo... not sure who owns that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    That sucks! Your country trusted you to carry a squad automatic weapon [SAW] for combat in a war-zone. But Detroit won't trust you to carry a simple pistol for self preservation in theirs....go figure? Thanks for your service Sir. Carry on good man.
    Thank you sir! And I do plan on going again this year but I won't conceal just to get in I hope I can get in because I really like this event in Detroit and its one of the few events that I will go to. I don't go to any of the sporting events because I can't carry my firearm.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Its at Cobo... not sure who owns that.

Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority see: ​http://www.cobocenter.com/about_us/do_business_with_us
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

The best answer to ownership I can find is that Cobo Center is owned by the City of Detroit. The Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority was formed to run Cobo and make day to day decisions.

Another "authority". See why this CADL case is so important?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Another "authority". See why this CADL case is so important?
    Took the words right out of my MOUTH there is that word "authority" again
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios