• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at the Auto Show?

Ken56

I went last Tuesday but didn't carry because I wasn't sure about. They did look in bags an back packs of those comming in but no body serches or even questions or signs that I noticed prohibiting carry so concealed would be fine I THINK. Again, just because I didn't notice any signs or postings at the doors does'nt mean its gospel. Just say'in I wouldn't have had any trouble if I had carried concealed.

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
Is anyone planning on Open Carrying at the Auto Show?

Unfortunately firearms are against the policy of NAIAS. That is why I don't like going. They don't use metal detectors or signs anywhere to convey this but it has been researched by many in similar threads and the consensus is you will only get in if concealed although I recommend simply not going. Last time I went I was unarmed and unnerved yet there was a high presence of armed LEO there. Not only Detroit police every 60 to 100 feet but also Wayne County Sheriff and Border Patrol officers.

Bottom line is I guess it is a safe venue once inside but its getting to and from it and your car that everyone really has to worry about. Business men were mugged at gunpoint leaving last January.

They will probably tell you to leave if you OC with no refund or go secure it in your car and come back. They won't notice if you CC but that is up to how you feel about that.

Small_Arms_Collector

Unfortunately firearms are against the policy of NAIAS. That is why I don't like going. They don't use metal detectors or signs anywhere to convey this but it has been researched by many in similar threads and the consensus is you will only get in if concealed although I recommend simply not going. Last time I went I was unarmed and unnerved yet there was a high presence of armed LEO there. Not only Detroit police every 60 to 100 feet but also Wayne County Sheriff and Border Patrol officers.

Bottom line is I guess it is a safe venue once inside but its getting to and from it and your car that everyone really has to worry about. Business men were mugged at gunpoint leaving last January.

They will probably tell you to leave if you OC with no refund or go secure it in your car and come back. They won't notice if you CC but that is up to how you feel about that.

Is it public, or private property? If it's public how can they stop you with preemption?

NHCGRPR45

That sucks! Your country trusted you to carry a squad automatic weapon [SAW] for combat in a war-zone. But Detroit won't trust you to carry a simple pistol for self preservation in theirs....go figure? Thanks for your service Sir. Carry on good man.

Thank you sir! And I do plan on going again this year but I won't conceal just to get in I hope I can get in because I really like this event in Detroit and its one of the few events that I will go to. I don't go to any of the sporting events because I can't carry my firearm.

maustin195

The best answer to ownership I can find is that Cobo Center is owned by the City of Detroit. The Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority was formed to run Cobo and make day to day decisions.

CV67 PAT

The best answer to ownership I can find is that Cobo Center is owned by the City of Detroit. The Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority was formed to run Cobo and make day to day decisions.

It's owned by the City of Detroit, but run by an "authority" so it must not be "pre-empted" just like the CADL.