• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry

tp9mm

hello guys i am from detroit southside. Looking forward to learing what i can before i start to open carry.

xmanhockey7

Welcome to OCDO. Read all the stickies. Any questions just feel free to ask someone will be able to provide some help for ya. Do you have a CPL?

Yance

Welcome aboard, have you also visited the Michigan Open Carry, Inc site yet? Lots of information there as well. www.miopencarry.org

either way we will be glad to help, its always nice to have new people getting into OC because we are strong in numbers.

griffin

Welcome!

SIDEBAR1.jpg

(I'm not a woman, I just like this picture!) :banana:

Staying_American

hello all!

Hi all. This is my first post and I seemed like a good place to start. I do not have a cpl so I was wondering where I stood with open carrying and I was curious as to what all goes along with open carry. thanks in advance :p

stainless1911

Banned
Welcome aboard.

See the stickies.

Fist off, especially in cold weather, dont let any clothing ever cover your gun, not even briefly. Transportation, You mist keep the gun in the trunk, it has to be unloaded, and in a case designed for a firearm. You must cas and uncase the gun OUTSIDE the vehicle. You must not be on the premises of any place that has any liquor license of any kind, whether they sell alcohol or not. This includes Krogers, Meijers, as well as the local bar. You can't even have it stored in the trunk.

The following link contains the places that you cannot be without a CPL.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(t3...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

Transport law.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(t3...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

Liquor licenses by county

http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

Look up laws here

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vyyegt45se12uuql150gcwrv))/mileg.aspx?page=home

ANY questions, just ask.

TheQ

so say I was walking to a friends. I'm 23 by the way. if I had it holstered on my side in open side that is fully legal as long as it is empty?

EMPTY?! Why would you do that? ;)

California used to be Unloaded Carry until they heavily restricted OC.

Please, don't carry a club. Carry loaded with one in the chamber.

Please be aware of the link for MCL 750.234d above. Stay around and ask plenty of questions BEFORE you OC.

For example, having read the links Stainless provided, answer me this:

Can you open carry into Meijers without a CPL?

Staying_American

I plan on getting my cpl but money is tight right now because I am going through a divorce and custody battle. to your question I believe in order to of in a store like that I would have to have my cpl and it would have to b in plain sight. Rest assured i will only open carry once I know the laws relating to it thoroughly. oh and I would lie to apologize for typing errors. I'm using an iPhone and still have to get used to the on screen keyboard. :p

stainless1911

Banned
You wont have to OC at a store like that with a CPL, but you have the option once you have a CPL. A bar is a different story, you can only OC with a CPL there, but let's get you up to speed on the basics first.

Transport properly, carry a digital voice recorder, and know the gun free zones like you know your back yard.

Start saving your pennies. I just picked up a brand new M&P and had Trijicon sights installed, and I am unemployed. Took me less than 5 months. You can do it.