Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Permit to purchase: how long does it really take?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    81

    Permit to purchase: how long does it really take?

    The reason I am askin this is because there are a couple gun shows coming up and I am seriously contemplating getting a different gun. (I love my hipoint, but its a bit like carrying a bazooka, lol) the charlotte site lists a 30 day wait..... Thats rediculous. Has anyone gotten one recently, and if so how long did it take?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    greensboro
    Posts
    71
    Yeah all the time. It take about five days here in guilford. I'm assuming that most counties are at least as fast

    Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    It can take up to that long. Or you could be in and out of there in half an hour. Depends on how many other permits are going through and if the sheriff is in a good mood or not to be honest.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    81
    Wonderful. Well, I guess I will go down and see. Worse case scenario is I am screwed for a month lol.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8
    5-7 days here in Wake county. Very easy process

  6. #6
    Regular Member WTFOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    111
    Just had a friend get two of them here at the local SO and they were in and out in less then 20 minutes.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by drew9 View Post
    The reason I am askin this is because there are a couple gun shows coming up and I am seriously contemplating getting a different gun. (I love my hipoint, but its a bit like carrying a bazooka, lol) the charlotte site lists a 30 day wait..... Thats rediculous. Has anyone gotten one recently, and if so how long did it take?
    Thanks
    I dont know why it would take that long when in Forsyth its around 20min.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    That is a good reason to get a ccp.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    26

    Nash County

    What I find of interest is that 2 references are required here unless you know someone in law enforcement, then five days. Are the two that gave reference gonna be held responsible if the individual that they spoke for goes off the deep end and uses a purchased gun in a crime? I just don't get the logic but rules is rules.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by 94 at Large View Post
    What I find of interest is that 2 references are required here unless you know someone in law enforcement, then five days. Are the two that gave reference gonna be held responsible if the individual that they spoke for goes off the deep end and uses a purchased gun in a crime? I just don't get the logic but rules is rules.
    That's kind of the way I feel here about getting a CHP they want your medical records. I haven't seen a civilian doctor in years, and they sure aren't getting my military medical records.

  11. #11
    Regular Member J_Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Haw River, North Carolina
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22 View Post
    That's kind of the way I feel here about getting a CHP they want your medical records. I haven't seen a civilian doctor in years, and they sure aren't getting my military medical records.
    They don't want your medical records for the sake of medical records. They want them to make sure you've never been committed to a mental institution or been admitted to a hospital for an attempted suicide or anything. In the case of military records, I believe they're only looking for signs of being unstable due to some form of PTSD. I personally don't have a problem with it. If the shop owner that sold the rifle to windell williamson had access to those records(which for all intents and purposes, I don't think he should have anyways) my uncle, his neighbor, and two police officers would still be alive. He was a certified nut-case (no disrespect intended to people with mental handicaps) and I for damn sure wouldn't want him having a CHP. Just my $.02 rant... carry on...

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

    [ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

    Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

    Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

  12. #12
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Oliver View Post
    They don't want your medical records for the sake of medical records. They want them to make sure you've never been committed to a mental institution or been admitted to a hospital for an attempted suicide or anything. In the case of military records, I believe they're only looking for signs of being unstable due to some form of PTSD. I personally don't have a problem with it. If the shop owner that sold the rifle to windell williamson had access to those records(which for all intents and purposes, I don't think he should have anyways) my uncle, his neighbor, and two police officers would still be alive. He was a certified nut-case (no disrespect intended to people with mental handicaps) and I for damn sure wouldn't want him having a CHP. Just my $.02 rant... carry on...

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I see your point. I was diagnosed with PTSD, but it doesn't affect me in my opinion. When I tried to tell the doctor that I didn't have PTSD, that somehow reinforced his opinion that I did... but whatever. But I don't think I'm That crazy or anything lol. I'd just hate for that to be a deciding factor in me getting approved or not.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    81
    What I don't understand is why they don't use the instant background check system? When I lived in Arkansas, I walked into a pawn shop, gave them my DL, and walked out 20 minutes later after it came back with no record. So why in the hell would it take 5-7 days, or 30?

  14. #14
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by drew9 View Post
    What I don't understand is why they don't use the instant background check system? When I lived in Arkansas, I walked into a pawn shop, gave them my DL, and walked out 20 minutes later after it came back with no record. So why in the hell would it take 5-7 days, or 30?
    That's basically what they do here too. I had my permit in hand in less than 30 minutes. But that's only if the sheriff isn't doing anything else and he feels like signing the paperwork at the time, along with how many other people are trying to get a purchase permit too.

  15. #15
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670

    one theory postulated

    i have heard bantered about has to do w/an olde hold over of control by the state of who can buy a firearm while another theory is revenue generation per se...

    wabbit

  16. #16
    Regular Member CDT COX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    i have heard bantered about has to do w/an olde hold over of control by the state of who can buy a firearm while another theory is revenue generation per se...

    wabbit

    Yeah I read somewhere (maybe here?) that it was put into place back in the day to keep blacks from owning pistols. Not sure if its true.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    Yeah I read somewhere (maybe here?) that it was put into place back in the day to keep blacks from owning pistols. Not sure if its true.
    This is 100% true. The NC Purchase Permit program is nothing more than a held-over Jim Crow law. IT has nothing to do with safety or effective background checks, given that the check they perform to issue a Purchase Permit is a NICS check, which can be done in less than 5 minutes...

    Modern "Gun Control" laws are almost each and every one based on racist Jim Crow laws and preventing guns from getting into the hands of the "wrong kinds of people"--meaning minorities, Native Americans, single women and poor folk.

    NC's Purchase Permit program needs to be stricken from the books--it is a disgusting remnant of an ugly period of American history. Every Pistol Purchase Permit that is processed in NC is a slap in the face to every person who ever fought for Civil Rights in the US, and a constant reminder to the rest of the country that NC legislators are, almost each and every one--night-riding, cross-burning, white hood-wearing racists in their heart of hearts--regardless of their own race.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  18. #18
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    That is a good reason to get a ccp.
    I can't think of a good reason to get one. I'd rather see it go away and go to constitutional carry in NC.

  19. #19
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    I can't think of a good reason to get one. I'd rather see it go away and go to constitutional carry in NC.
    The only reason I can think of is traveling to other states "which I do frequently". Now if EVERY state went to constitutional carry, that'd be great.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    I can't think of a good reason to get one. I'd rather see it go away and go to constitutional carry in NC.
    Although I agree with you 100% on the nation-wide Constitutional Carry issue, the fact is that we don't have it, and won't for years. In the interim, those of us who travel frequently find that the hassles and intrusion of getting a NC CHP offer a termendous amount of benefit for the small amout of intrusion they pose. Vehicle Carry on our hips, coverage in other states (39--more than ANY other permit in the nation!) instant firarms purchases, and the option to lawfully CC (in bad weather when wearing a big coat, or when we dress up in a suit) are all worthwhile things.

    Sure I'm working for Constitutional Carry, and I hope it becomes a universal reality in the USA, but I also know that it's a LONG way off, and will most likely only come in one of two ways--a long, slow process of lawsuits, court rulings, and legislation, or a quick, violent, chaotic process of all-out civil war and societal collapse.


    In the meantime, many of us are willing to compromise a few things for the massive amount of benefits a CHP provides...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  21. #21
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This is 100% true. The NC Purchase Permit program is nothing more than a held-over Jim Crow law. IT has nothing to do with safety or effective background checks, given that the check they perform to issue a Purchase Permit is a NICS check, which can be done in less than 5 minutes...

    Modern "Gun Control" laws are almost each and every one based on racist Jim Crow laws and preventing guns from getting into the hands of the "wrong kinds of people"--meaning minorities, Native Americans, single women and poor folk.

    NC's Purchase Permit program needs to be stricken from the books--it is a disgusting remnant of an ugly period of American history. Every Pistol Purchase Permit that is processed in NC is a slap in the face to every person who ever fought for Civil Rights in the US, and a constant reminder to the rest of the country that NC legislators are, almost each and every one--night-riding, cross-burning, white hood-wearing racists in their heart of hearts--regardless of their own race.
    Agreed with DREAMER, and add several cuss words to that
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    131
    Back on topic! I was in a few months ago to "order a few" I dropped it off on monday and then on the fallowing saturday, I received a letter saying my permits were ready to be picked up. I had to wait till monday being that office is only monday through friday!

    So I would say generally in Charlotte, a week to two on average.


    Tim

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, , USA
    Posts
    96
    I guess i was lucky i went downtown on a thurs and had a response in the mail the next day and picked it up. So within 24 hrs for me. But I have CHP now so I am glad i dont have to deal with that anymore because you can only get 3 at a time and i used 2 real quick .
    Last edited by Jerry1981; 01-24-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •