• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit to purchase: how long does it really take?

drew9

The reason I am askin this is because there are a couple gun shows coming up and I am seriously contemplating getting a different gun. (I love my hipoint, but its a bit like carrying a bazooka, lol) the charlotte site lists a 30 day wait..... Thats rediculous. Has anyone gotten one recently, and if so how long did it take?
Thanks

importinvasion

Yeah all the time. It take about five days here in guilford. I'm assuming that most counties are at least as fast

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

ArmySoldier22

It can take up to that long. Or you could be in and out of there in half an hour. Depends on how many other permits are going through and if the sheriff is in a good mood or not to be honest.

drew9

Wonderful. Well, I guess I will go down and see. Worse case scenario is I am screwed for a month lol.

WTFOVER

Just had a friend get two of them here at the local SO and they were in and out in less then 20 minutes.

nobama

The reason I am askin this is because there are a couple gun shows coming up and I am seriously contemplating getting a different gun. (I love my hipoint, but its a bit like carrying a bazooka, lol) the charlotte site lists a 30 day wait..... Thats rediculous. Has anyone gotten one recently, and if so how long did it take?
Thanks

I dont know why it would take that long when in Forsyth its around 20min.

94 at Large

Nash County

What I find of interest is that 2 references are required here unless you know someone in law enforcement, then five days. Are the two that gave reference gonna be held responsible if the individual that they spoke for goes off the deep end and uses a purchased gun in a crime? I just don't get the logic but rules is rules.:banghead:

ArmySoldier22

What I find of interest is that 2 references are required here unless you know someone in law enforcement, then five days. Are the two that gave reference gonna be held responsible if the individual that they spoke for goes off the deep end and uses a purchased gun in a crime? I just don't get the logic but rules is rules.:banghead:

That's kind of the way I feel here about getting a CHP they want your medical records. I haven't seen a civilian doctor in years, and they sure aren't getting my military medical records.

J_Oliver

That's kind of the way I feel here about getting a CHP they want your medical records. I haven't seen a civilian doctor in years, and they sure aren't getting my military medical records.

They don't want your medical records for the sake of medical records. They want them to make sure you've never been committed to a mental institution or been admitted to a hospital for an attempted suicide or anything. In the case of military records, I believe they're only looking for signs of being unstable due to some form of PTSD. I personally don't have a problem with it. If the shop owner that sold the rifle to windell williamson had access to those records(which for all intents and purposes, I don't think he should have anyways) my uncle, his neighbor, and two police officers would still be alive. He was a certified nut-case (no disrespect intended to people with mental handicaps) and I for damn sure wouldn't want him having a CHP. Just my $.02 rant... carry on...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

ArmySoldier22

They don't want your medical records for the sake of medical records. They want them to make sure you've never been committed to a mental institution or been admitted to a hospital for an attempted suicide or anything. In the case of military records, I believe they're only looking for signs of being unstable due to some form of PTSD. I personally don't have a problem with it. If the shop owner that sold the rifle to windell williamson had access to those records(which for all intents and purposes, I don't think he should have anyways) my uncle, his neighbor, and two police officers would still be alive. He was a certified nut-case (no disrespect intended to people with mental handicaps) and I for damn sure wouldn't want him having a CHP. Just my $.02 rant... carry on...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I see your point. I was diagnosed with PTSD, but it doesn't affect me in my opinion. When I tried to tell the doctor that I didn't have PTSD, that somehow reinforced his opinion that I did... but whatever. But I don't think I'm That crazy or anything lol. I'd just hate for that to be a deciding factor in me getting approved or not.

drew9

What I don't understand is why they don't use the instant background check system? When I lived in Arkansas, I walked into a pawn shop, gave them my DL, and walked out 20 minutes later after it came back with no record. So why in the hell would it take 5-7 days, or 30?

ArmySoldier22

What I don't understand is why they don't use the instant background check system? When I lived in Arkansas, I walked into a pawn shop, gave them my DL, and walked out 20 minutes later after it came back with no record. So why in the hell would it take 5-7 days, or 30?

That's basically what they do here too. I had my permit in hand in less than 30 minutes. But that's only if the sheriff isn't doing anything else and he feels like signing the paperwork at the time, along with how many other people are trying to get a purchase permit too.

ncwabbit

one theory postulated

i have heard bantered about has to do w/an olde hold over of control by the state of who can buy a firearm while another theory is revenue generation per se...

wabbit

CDT COX

i have heard bantered about has to do w/an olde hold over of control by the state of who can buy a firearm while another theory is revenue generation per se...

wabbit

Yeah I read somewhere (maybe here?) that it was put into place back in the day to keep blacks from owning pistols. Not sure if its true.

Dreamer

Yeah I read somewhere (maybe here?) that it was put into place back in the day to keep blacks from owning pistols. Not sure if its true.

This is 100% true. The NC Purchase Permit program is nothing more than a held-over Jim Crow law. IT has nothing to do with safety or effective background checks, given that the check they perform to issue a Purchase Permit is a NICS check, which can be done in less than 5 minutes...

Modern "Gun Control" laws are almost each and every one based on racist Jim Crow laws and preventing guns from getting into the hands of the "wrong kinds of people"--meaning minorities, Native Americans, single women and poor folk.

NC's Purchase Permit program needs to be stricken from the books--it is a disgusting remnant of an ugly period of American history. Every Pistol Purchase Permit that is processed in NC is a slap in the face to every person who ever fought for Civil Rights in the US, and a constant reminder to the rest of the country that NC legislators are, almost each and every one--night-riding, cross-burning, white hood-wearing racists in their heart of hearts--regardless of their own race.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

I can't think of a good reason to get one. I'd rather see it go away and go to constitutional carry in NC.

The only reason I can think of is traveling to other states "which I do frequently". Now if EVERY state went to constitutional carry, that'd be great.

Dreamer

I can't think of a good reason to get one. I'd rather see it go away and go to constitutional carry in NC.

Although I agree with you 100% on the nation-wide Constitutional Carry issue, the fact is that we don't have it, and won't for years. In the interim, those of us who travel frequently find that the hassles and intrusion of getting a NC CHP offer a termendous amount of benefit for the small amout of intrusion they pose. Vehicle Carry on our hips, coverage in other states (39--more than ANY other permit in the nation!) instant firarms purchases, and the option to lawfully CC (in bad weather when wearing a big coat, or when we dress up in a suit) are all worthwhile things.

Sure I'm working for Constitutional Carry, and I hope it becomes a universal reality in the USA, but I also know that it's a LONG way off, and will most likely only come in one of two ways--a long, slow process of lawsuits, court rulings, and legislation, or a quick, violent, chaotic process of all-out civil war and societal collapse.

In the meantime, many of us are willing to compromise a few things for the massive amount of benefits a CHP provides...