• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sterling Heights City Council Meeting -- Discussing Charging for a Purchase Permit

TheQ

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=161917

See post #14 and #16.

Someone is going to the Sterling Heights City Council meeting to discuss their Police Department's policy of forcing you to get your Purchase Permit notarized there.

mopedman said:
I am heading up to the Sterling Heights City Council on 02-07-2012 to address the same issue in Sterling Heights.

mopedman said:
Meeting starts at 7:30 PM, 02-07-2012. The address is 40555 Utica Rd, Sterling Heights MI.

In good old Michigan Open Carry and OCDO tradition, I was thinking a few people may wish to show up as well -- open carrying, if possible!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Many PD's are getting "creative" to generate funds.

Sadly I think the economy is pushing this trend along. What we may see in the future is a couple of things. #1 PD's trying to ring every cent they can out of Purchase Permits. If they are not successful, then they will simply: #2 curtail issuing them in an attempt to save man power and money. Taylor, MI is a good example of the latter: the current hours that a resident can get a PP are limited to TUE, WED, THUR. 8AM to NOON. (12hrs per week total???) This makes it very difficult for anyone that works a day job and causes them to lose money to do so. Often an individual may have to make multiple trips over 1 to 2 weeks to apply then pick up the permit. They no longer notarize either so the individual must find a notary too?

This trend is growing, recently a friend who lives in Wayne MI had to wait two weeks after making three trips to the PD to: (1) apply (2) 8 days later received call saying "come get it", then when on site told sorry it isn't ready yet we made an error and are backlogged with permit requests and our staff has been cut. (3) 4 days later received call to "come get it", again.

12 days from start to end, why you ask? Budget/staff cuts. Funny one of the 1st things PD's choose to eliminate is the ability for the "common folk" to defend themselves? Not criticizing, just baffled at the logic there?

Yes - the example above is true and yes it is in violation of the law. However there are no "teeth" in the current MCL's so there is no incentive for compliance.

Bronson

Sadly I think the economy is pushing this trend along. What we may see in the future is a couple of things. #1 PD's trying to ring every cent they can out of Purchase Permits. If they are not successful, then they will simply: #2 curtail issuing them in an attempt to save man power and money. Taylor, MI is a good example of the latter: the current hours that a resident can get a PP are limited to TUE, WED, THUR. 8AM to NOON. (12hrs per week total???) This makes it very difficult for anyone that works a day job and causes them to lose money to do so. Often an individual may have to make multiple trips over 1 to 2 weeks to apply then pick up the permit. They no longer notarize either so the individual must find a notary too?

This trend is growing, recently a friend who lives in Wayne MI had to wait two weeks after making three trips to the PD to: (1) apply (2) 8 days later received call saying "come get it", then when on site told sorry it isn't ready yet we made an error and are backlogged with permit requests and our staff has been cut. (3) 4 days later received call to "come get it", again.

12 days from start to end, why you ask? Budget/staff cuts. Funny one of the 1st things PD's choose to eliminate is the ability for the "common folk" to defend themselves? Not criticizing, just baffled at the logic there?

Yes - the example above is true and yes it is in violation of the law. However there are no "teeth" in the current MCL's so there is no incentive for compliance.

In an odd way I think if enough people had to go through that it would help us get rid of the PP/registration system in the long run.

Bronson

RenkaiWulf

same at burton pd 16 hours a week
Handgun purchase permits, registration and permits to carry concealed weapons (CCW) are only available during the following hours:
Tuesday through Friday
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Administrative offices and the Detective Bureau are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM.

i thought there was a law that states they have to do PP during all "normal hours of operation" ?

Edit:its an AG opinion as of 7-17-06 it also says in summery: (there is no local waiting permit allowed. A permit must be issued on your initial visit.) which flint pd is in direct violation as their website states :
"There is a $5.00 charge at the time of application. You will need a valid picture I.D.There is a 24-hour wait while your record is being checked. In most cases you will be able to pick up your purchase permit the next day. Prior felony arrest disposition checks may take longer. If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied. The fee is not refundable.

PER STATE STATUTE, WE ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED TO CHARGE THE $5.00 FEE FOR THE PROCESSING OF A PURCHASE PERMIT. WE ARE, HOWEVER, ALLOWED TO CHARGE A $2.00 FEE FOR THE NOTARY SERVICE REQUIRED FOR ALL PURCHASE PERMITS."

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
yeah sure, they CAN charge you a notary fee, but they CAN'T force you to use their notary service. that was the conclusion the city attorney for st clair reached after i called them out on it. they now allow people to go down to the bank or wherever they choose to get it done.

griffin

there is no local waiting permit allowed. A permit must be issued on your initial visit.
Unless they've changed their ways in the last few years, Meridian Township makes PP applicants wait five days to get their permits. I had to wait probably ten times until I got my CPL. (And even with a CPL I've never had an instant check at a gun shop be approved right away, which sucks if I'm buying from someplace far away like Guns Galore and I have to make return visits).

TheQ

Unless they've changed their ways in the last few years, Meridian Township makes PP applicants wait five days to get their permits. I had to wait probably ten times until I got my CPL. (And even with a CPL I've never had an instant check at a gun shop be approved right away, which sucks if I'm buying from someplace far away like Guns Galore and I have to make return visits).

Would you consider documenting the problem here?

griffin

They may not still be doing it. It's been years since I've had to get a permit to purchase. But what I was told by Meridian Township Police was that they didn't do their own checks, they forwarded them to the East Lansing PD. It always took me five days to get approved.

Maybe there is a non-CPL holder in Meridian Township here that can comment on current practices.