• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1197: Lost or stolen firearms; failure to report; penalties.

TFred

Lost or stolen firearms; failure to report; penalties. Creates a Class 3 misdemeanor for the offense of failing to report to law enforcement that a firearm a person owns or lawfully possesses has been lost or stolen. Subsequent violations of the law would be a Class 1 misdemeanor. The bill also creates a Class 1 misdemeanor for the knowingly false reporting of a lost or stolen firearm.

A. Any person who fails to report to law enforcement the theft or loss of a firearm he owns or lawfully possesses within 48 hours of the time that he knew or reasonably should have known such firearm had been lost or stolen is guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. Subsequent violations of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

TFred

Ric in Richmond

Lost or stolen firearms; failure to report; penalties. Creates a Class 3 misdemeanor for the offense of failing to report to law enforcement that a firearm a person owns or lawfully possesses has been lost or stolen. Subsequent violations of the law would be a Class 1 misdemeanor. The bill also creates a Class 1 misdemeanor for the knowingly false reporting of a lost or stolen firearm.

TFred
I read that as

"We are setting you up for when we knock on your door and ask you for your guns. You lost one and didn't tell us...busted"

I need to get some more off the background check firearms. Of course Donald Munchkins bill attempts to close that "loophole".

I wish they would just say it out loud. "We don't want you to have them and we plan on coming to get them."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I read that as

"We are setting you up for when we knock on your door and ask you for your guns. You lost one and didn't tell us...busted"

I need to get some more off the background check firearms. Of course Donald Munchkins bill attempts to close that "loophole".

I wish they would just say it out loud. "We don't want you to have them and we plan on coming to get them."

Yep!
Lots of the "we need to know" closet bills this year and it's a little shocking how many of us are falling for the sales pitch.
I wish we had a Buy/Sell section.

I could put an ad in selling the Bay/Bridge Tunnel and just say "It'll speed up the instant background check":banana::monkey
That calls for a monkey and a banana:lol:

Aknazer

Do you guys have to register your guns or something? Otherwise how would they know that its your gun?

speed41ae

Do you guys have to register your guns or something? Otherwise how would they know that its your gun?

Why do they need to have the Manufacturer and/or Importer, Model, Serial Number, Type and Caliber or Gauge columns on the 4473 form?

• We do not have a database of the weapons that you have bought.
  • I did not know about Fast and Furious.
  • I am from the government and I'm here to help.
  • The check is in the mail.

TFred

Why do they need to have the Manufacturer and/or Importer, Model, Serial Number, Type and Caliber or Gauge columns on the 4473 form?

EGG-zactly! And I've got some waterfront property in Nevada that's going like hot-cakes...better get in on it while you can!

If your gun is stolen, and later recovered, you better believe they can figure out it was yours, especially if it was used in the commission of a crime.

TFred

The Wolfhound

I'll bid on that Bridge Tunnel deal....

I'll bid on that Bridge Tunnel deal.... before I will buy the bilge they are selling. Oath violating scum! Did not our legislative representatives take an oath to the Virginia Constitution? How many times must we ignore their breach of faith to the Commonwealth? Can I get a bit from an honest Commonwealth's Attorney to take action on these folks?

Marco

Yep!
Lots of the "we need to know" closet bills this year and it's a little shocking how many of us are falling for the sales pitch.

They are trying to lay the in roads for futher restrictions and information is power.

EGG-zactly! And I've got some waterfront property in Nevada that's going like hot-cakes...better get in on it while you can!

If your gun is stolen, and later recovered, you better believe they can figure out it was yours, especially if it was used in the commission of a crime.

TFred

Hope you have at least a cool million and want Celine as a neighbor.

ATF firearm trace anyone?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

• This isn't going to hurt.
  • I'll always respect you.
  • Just think of me as your big brother.
  • Of course I won't repeat it.

BTW - I didn't loose my guns. I threw/gave them away just before that law was passed.:uhoh:

Walt_Kowalski

I oppose this, that means I would have to report every boating accident I get into.

(In all seriousness... this needs to be shot down. I smell gun registration around the corner if this passes.)

2a4all

TFred
So you've saved your pennies and purchased your new firearm from your favorite FFL.

Sometime later, your desires change and in order to fulfill them, you sell this firearm privately (executing a copy of User's Bill of Sale).

The next thing you hear is a knock on your door from the Feds looking for this item because it was used in a crime.

You've never reported it lost or stolen because you sold it, and apparently, neither did the buyer. Until now, you didn't report that you sold it because that's not required.

If this bill passes, should we look for an attempt to amend it next year to include reporting private sales? (Yeah, yeah, I know. They'll fix that by passing the "no private sales" bill. NOT!)

This is a very slippery slope!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So you've saved your pennies and purchased your new firearm from your favorite FFL.

Sometime later, your desires change and in order to fulfill them, you sell this firearm privately (executing a copy of User's Bill of Sale).

The next thing you hear is a knock on your door from the Feds looking for this item because it was used in a crime.

You've never reported it lost or stolen because you sold it, and apparently, neither did the buyer. Until now, you didn't report that you sold it because that's not required.

If this bill passes, should we look for an attempt to amend it next year to include reporting private sales? (Yeah, yeah, I know. They'll fix that by passing the "no private sales" bill. NOT!)

Gotta close that loophole! :banghead:

TFred

You raise an excellent point, which should be made to the committees who will be evaluating this bill.

If there is indeed, as we have been assured, no gun registration in Virginia, that means that the government does not know where any legally purchased gun is at any time after the point of sale. Why would the government all of a sudden be interested in requiring an unknown person (the owner of the legally purchased gun) to step out and let them know all the nitty gritty details about a gun when it is lost or stolen?

TFred

2a4all

You raise an excellent point, which should be made to the committees who will be evaluating this bill.

If there is indeed, as we have been assured, no gun registration in Virginia, that means that the government does not know where any legally purchased gun is at any time after the point of sale. Why would the government all of a sudden be interested in requiring an unknown person (the owner of the legally purchased gun) to step out and let them know all the nitty gritty details about a gun when it is lost or stolen?

TFred
McLellan is also the Patron of HB 364, "Criminal history record information; record check to be performed on prospective transferee", which has been sent to the Subcommittee for Militia, Police & Public Safety.

Who put her up to this?

Repeater

McLellan is also the Patron of HB 364, "Criminal history record information; record check to be performed on prospective transferee", which has been sent to the Subcommittee for Militia, Police & Public Safety.

Who put her up to this?

She is from Richmond. The Mayor, is a MAIG, Dwight Jones.

2a4all

I oppose this, that means I would have to report every boating accident I get into.

(In all seriousness... this needs to be shot down. I smell gun registration around the corner if this passes.)

Hickory Dickory Doc,
Jenny has lost her Glock

She's looked all around,
And it's not to be found;

'Tis her belief
'Twas taken by thief;

She must hurry and tell, tick tock!

There's actually a law already that addresses false reports, 18.2-461. Falsely summoning or giving false reports to law-enforcement officials., so why do we need another one?

Of course! To keep guns out of the hands of criminals! :banghead:

Last edited: