• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A bill that would remove the cap of $60 for SDA training.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
HB2383 by Josh Cockroft would delete the language from the SDA that limits the cost of the required training to $60. It replaces it with language that allows the provider of the training to establish the cost.

Unless we have a shortage of SDA instructors offering courses because they don't think that $600 per 10 person class is enough, I don't see any good coming from this. It would just make getting a CCL in Oklahoma more expensive. It already costs too much as it is.

Link to bill in .doc format: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12%20INT/hB/HB2383%20INT.DOC

Last edited:

Aknazer

Hard to say imo. Does that $60 cover the range time? Because if it does then 60 is probably low. I know that prior to Utah changing their laws my dad taught the Utah class which doesn't require range time for $50 a person and he was easily one of the cheapest trainers. So between class and range time I can see how $60 is low, but if the $60 is class time only then I don't agree with the changes as people are already paying a decent amount. I honestly don't know because I'm currently using a Utah permit and once it is about to expire I can use it to effectively bypass the OK training requirements and get a permit issued after paying the state fees.

I also think how much the state charges is just retarded. For my Utah permit the state only charged $62.50 for a 5 year permit.

hrdware

This was a proposal that Miles Hall from H&H Gun range asked for during the House Interim Study over the summer. This would remove the government and allow instructors to charge what the market will bear. I know of instructors now that only charge about 35 for the class.

Aknazer

This was a proposal that Miles Hall from H&H Gun range asked for during the House Interim Study over the summer. This would remove the government and allow instructors to charge what the market will bear. I know of instructors now that only charge about 35 for the class.

I view that wording "what the market will bear" as him wanting to charge even more than what would be needed to pay for instructor/range time simply to turn a larger profit. And since H & H has such a large market share and that's what most people know of in the local area they could probably get away with charging more than most instructors because people wouldn't know better.

Besides the fact that I hate how expensive it is to exercise a right, it seems like H & H wants to head down the path that Gun World went (and why I won't go to Gun World anymore) and charge excessive prices simply because "the market will bear it" (aka because their customers don't know better till its too late).