• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here's the big one... the open carry bill! SB 1092

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
SB 1092 by Steve Russell... this bill would add another exemption to the prohibition against carrying that is found in the Firearms act of 1971.

link in .doc format: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12%20INT/SB/SB1092%20INT.DOC

Here are the requirements for OC:
1) Carry a certificate, issued by a NRA or SDA instructor that states that you have received training in safe handling of a firearm and the open carry laws of Oklahoma.

2) Carry the weapon in a visible holster.

3) Be 21 or older.

It would also allow open carry of a firearm in a motor vehicle. I don't see any restrictions to what firearm one could carry.

Edited to add: All of the prohibited places for concealed carry in the self defense act would also be prohibited for open carry.

Last edited:

gprod55

Possible problems

I forsee possible problems with the way this bill is written. It requires training and proof of such. But does not stipulate the amount of training nor does it state if prior training will be grandfathered in. What will the cost be for the certificate?
What will the cost be for the instructors who grant the certificates? Will prior military and vets as well as active military be exempt or will they also have to attend an additional training program? What of Security Guards who have passed the MMPI and are licensed to carry on duty? Who if any will be exempted or grandfathered in? What kind of proof will they need to provide previous training? Too many questions left un-answerd that need to be addressed.