• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB-479 relating to: law enforcement officers and licenses to carry concealed weapons.

LOERetired

Fedeeral Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Prisons

Here is the link to AB-299: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/proposals/ab299

And there is also AB-479: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/proposals/AB479

But the text doesn't appear to be available for AB-479. Both appear to be removing the requirement that LEO pay the SAME TAX and get the SAME PERMIT as the rest of us.

I am just so sick/tired of all these "special" privileges for LEO.

I can understand the concern over LEO getting special privileges, however, after spending 10 years working in a Federal Prison, I have a lot of training carrying a firearm and using it to either defend or protect, unlike a civilian.

Taking into concideration the expierience, we should be exempt from the training requirment (classes) and currrently under federal law we are, all we have to do is qualify each year on a firing range by a qualified instructor, and shoot a course which has the same requirments as was when we were not retired.

The Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, Improvment Act states we are to be qualified in firearme according to the state requirments, unless the state don't have a firearms qualification standard, if the state don't then we are to qualify with a firearm to the standards of the agency we retired from.

The state now has a standard, however, to apply to the state for a cc we need to have our agency we retired from fill out a form (attached) which I have asked them to do, and they refused. So, since they refused we cannot comply with the state in getting a cc permit issued to us.

Since, we cannot comply with the state requirments, we are left with finding a qualified instructor (NRA) to qualify us every year to the standards of the agency we retired from which cost me $30.00 a year to do.

So, all we need is an ID issued by the agency we retired from ie the Bureau of Prisons, and a qualification card showing we have qualified with the firearm within the last year in ordeer to be able to legaly cc under the .

Looks like AB479 eliminates our requirment to meet the states firearm qualification standards altogether, plus it eliminates the fees associated with getting issue.

I believe after working 10 years for the federal bureau of prisons and with all the training, we should be allowed to get our cc without paying fee's or the required training.

Sorry, I disagree with you, I just believe we should be exempt from the requirments.

Cowboyridn

amaixner

Sorry, I disagree with you, I just believe we should be exempt from the requirments.
Cowboyridn

We partially agree with you, actually. We believe that you should be exempt from requirements. We additionally believe that, self defense being a human right and not a privilege, we should all be exempt from requirements.

DangerClose

Since, we cannot comply with the state requirments, we are left with finding a qualified instructor (NRA) to qualify us every year to the standards of the agency we retired from which cost me $30.00 a year to do.

So, all we need is an ID issued by the agency we retired from ie the Bureau of Prisons, and a qualification card showing we have qualified with the firearm within the last year in ordeer to be able to legaly cc under the .

Looks like AB479 eliminates our requirment to meet the states firearm qualification standards altogether, plus it eliminates the fees associated with getting issue.

I believe after working 10 years for the federal bureau of prisons and with all the training, we should be allowed to get our cc without paying fee's or the required training.

I don't understand the first part about having to qualify every year. Even if you have to qualify under WI law like non-LEO people do, non-LEO people don't have to requalify every year, so why would you?

I also don't understand why a former LEO person should get or expect special treatment of no fees. Does their resume satisfy the training requirement? Sure, as long as no new laws come up about non-LEOs having to requalify every x number of years, because that would be like giving a former LEO a free pass on a driving test or something just because they used to drive a police car 30 years prior.

Retired military are exempt from the training requirement, but they're not exempt from paying the permit fee, correct?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Retired military are exempt from the training requirement, but they're not exempt from paying the permit fee, correct?
All honorably discharged ex-military/veterans are exempt from the training requirement, but they're not exempt from paying the permit fee, correct?

Either we are equal or we are not. See isonomia and sortition.