• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2012 Firearm bills for the legislature

Aknazer

I just got off the phone with Rep Banz. He stated that outside of knowing that there have been proposed gun bills he stated that he doesn't know of any being out of committee and he doesn't know what is in any of the gun bills. He also refused to state how he felt about any of it ("though I will obviously have a view when it comes time to push the red or green button") and that he is currently in the process of taking the views of his constituents into account before deciding anything.

So while I didn't feel that it was a very productive phone call as he just seemed to dodge any question I asked him, that was how it went. I also stated that I don't like how in the bill cops can demand to see one's HWL if they are OCing and how cops can't just pull over a driver to demand to see their DL and that OCing should be treated the same.

hrdware

I just got off the phone with Rep Banz. He stated that outside of knowing that there have been proposed gun bills he stated that he doesn't know of any being out of committee and he doesn't know what is in any of the gun bills. He also refused to state how he felt about any of it ("though I will obviously have a view when it comes time to push the red or green button") and that he is currently in the process of taking the views of his constituents into account before deciding anything.

So while I didn't feel that it was a very productive phone call as he just seemed to dodge any question I asked him, that was how it went. I also stated that I don't like how in the bill cops can demand to see one's HWL if they are OCing and how cops can't just pull over a driver to demand to see their DL and that OCing should be treated the same.

Imagine that. There are 3 in the house and they are all now on the General Order. My guess is Rep Banz won't know anything about these bills until the floor leader puts them on the floor agenda and he reads about them the day before the vote. With so many bills going around and everyone working on their own bills, most reps probably work this way.

okiephlyer

To me, his not stating how he felt about gun bills is a red flag. I went several rounds with a candidate for county sheriff a few years back. She was quick to respond to my emails, but never committed to anything. Wouldn't tell me her opinion, her personal opinion, her interpretation, how she felt, etc. It seems when a politician is against something that may cause them political problems, the way they handle it is to stall, be non-commital, and vote no at the last minute.

hrdware

Hb2416..

Passed the house 89 - 0.

This is an accidental exposure clause while CC as well as preventing LEO from confiscating firearms during a declared state of emergency.

hrdware

Sb1785

SB1785 passed out of the Senate today, 45 - 0

This is a reciprocity bill that would allow persons from a non permitting states, such as Vermont, to carry concealed in OK.

hrdware

Round 3

Here is a list of firearm related bills that made it out of the chamber of origin and to the other chamber

HB2416 - Allows for accidental exposure of CC, also prevents state agencies or police from confiscating firearms and ammunition during any declared state of emergency

HB2522 - converts CC license to a carry license, add ammunition to the parking lot exemption, reduces failure to notify fine to $100, adds state preemption for OC not being a public disturbance, allows LEO to approach an OCer and ask for permit.

HP2988 - adds places of worship to the castle doctrine

SB1541 - authorizes the Attorney General or any Assistant Attorney General of the state to carry a firearm anywhere in the state after successful completion of an approved firearm training course that meets the requirements set fourth by CLEET

SB1548 - removes the $60 max fee instructors can charge for a CC class

SB1733 - converts CC license to a carry license, allows any judge to carry in courthouse building with a CC permit

SB1760 - Riot Control Prevention Act - would prevent any state agency or police from being able to confiscate firearms or ammunition during any declared state of emergency.

SB1785 - if a state allows CC, but does not have a permit, OK would treat that person as if their state did have a permit.

SB1834 - defines when a motor home is considered a home vs a vehicle

Comma separated list: HB2416,HB2522,HB2988,SB1541,SB1548,SB1733,S B1760, SB1785, SB1834
You can copy and paste the above list into the personal bill tracker the state has available to monitor the status of these bills.

At this time, all House Bills have been assigned to the Senate Pub Safety Committee, but Senate Bills have not yet been assigned.

hrdware

SB1541, SB1733, SB1743, SB1760, and SB1785 have all been officially scheduled to be heard in their respective committees April 4.

hrdware

**PHONE CALLS NEEDED**
The Senate took half of last week off for spring break, and they want to take next Thursday off as well. If they do, then the other two good house bills, HB2416 regarding riot prevention/accidental exposure and HB2988 which expands the castle doctrine, will not have a hearing.

Please make two phone calls. Call the President Pro Temp, Senator Brian Bingman and politely tell him to make sure that the Public Safety Committee holds another meeting so these two critical bills have a chance to be heard in committee. His phone number is 405-521-5528 and his email address is bingman@oksenate.gov.

Then call the Chairman of the Public Safety Committee, Senator Barrington, and politely tell him if to give HB2416 and HB2988 a hearing if he has another committee meeting. His phone number is 405-521-5563 and his email address is barrington@oksenate.gov.

hrdware

In a surprising turn of events, (yeah right) the house public safety committee has filed a committee sub for SB1733. The committee sub deletes all the text from SB1733 and replaces it with the amended and engrossed text from the version of HB2522 that passed out of the house. See, the house can do the same as the senate.

Now, I see no problem with the house PSC and the full house passing SB1733 and sending it back to the full senate to approve the amendments. Now the question is what happens with HB2522. It is possible that a conference committee could be called to try and merge the 2 bills, but I think if the full senate kills the current version of HB2522, then accepts the changes to SB1733, we will be in good shape.

hrdware

SB1785 - Reciprocity with states that don't issue permits passed the House Public Safety Committee
SB1541 - Allowing AG and AAGs to carry a firearm anywhere with a permit passed the House Public Safety Committee
SB1733 - A committee substitute was introduced that replaced the text of SB1733 with the text of the engrossed HB2522 and passed the House Public Safety Committee

SB1743 - Allowing hunters to use suppressors had an amendment against poaching and passed the House Agriculture/Wildlife Committee