• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Well, no, I live in the county of St. Louis. I use to live in the city recently (about 3 year ago)... but OCing in St. Louis City is a PROMISE ride to the jail if not a few pieces of lead heading your way. I too am a bit timited about OCing. I too dress conservatively... polo shirts, button down shirts etc. If I dress like I'm going to the gym with a gun... people are going to assume I am a thug. I am atlethic build, few tats etc.... but I carry myself well (former militray), so for the most part, many people assume I am a cop (clean cut dress, etc). And its ok, I guess... it keeps me out of trouble... I worry the day, when someone assumes I am a cop and treat me like one. But yes, depending on the location...race plays a huge factor. but hey what are you going to do? If you see a number of black thugsish looking people causing you trouble? Its like if you live in an area of Latin looking people causing you trouble... what do you start to assume? Its human nature.

I know the city is a no-no. That's why wrote St. Louis metro area rather than st. Louis.

You seem to have a very practical and realistic attitude about things. Glad you found the forum!

Firedawg314

I know the city is a no-no. That's why wrote St. Louis metro area rather than st. Louis.

You seem to have a very practical and realistic attitude about things. Glad you found the forum!

Thank you. I try my best. Sometimes i forget that when people say "Metro area of St. Louis", I keep assuming its only the city (north, west, and south sides of the city)

I guess the main issue is to get our state and country to allow citizens to freely choose to open carry and that if you CC, that is ok throughout the country not worry about what state you travel to.b

xdmcompact

Thank you. I try my best. Sometimes i forget that when people say "Metro area of St. Louis", I keep assuming its only the city (north, west, and south sides of the city)

I guess the main issue is to get our state and country to allow citizens to freely choose to open carry and that if you CC, that is ok throughout the country not worry about what state you travel to.b

There are two bills right now trying to fix alot of the BS for right to carry and OC, Bill: HR822 is the National Right To Carry Act http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show and Bill:

SB 680 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.

This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.

Redbaron007

Open carry is about as screwed up in KS as it is MO. Are you sure it was not restricted? As far as I know (which is not a lot) the only absolute OC in KS is unloaded OC.

Isn't Cabela's in Kansas City, KS?? I thought it was illegal to OC there?

Kansas

Summary
While Kansas is an open carry state, they have incomplete preemption on open carry. This means that there are some local ordinances that could constitute a nightmare for the law abiding citizen, except for concealed handgun permit holders when inside vehicles

My understanding is KS is similar to MO for OC; so, it is best to check the city and county that Cabela's is in to determine if they allow it. If the city/county doesn't, then they don't either.

I was edjucated on this a year or so ago; fortunately, it wasn't too bad.

xdmcompact

Just got back from Cabela's at the Mills Mall, was asked if I knew that I could not take my gun out of the holster (duh). Then was asked to cover it up, I said open carry is legal and she said I know but, That's all I let her get out as I walked into the store.

hogeaterf6

Seems kinda dumb to have a no firearms sign but you can sell firearms. lol

1/2 OC at the store in Rapid City SD with no issue. My vest hid a portion of the gun.

kylemoul

I have Open Carry-ed in the Hazelwood location at least 40 times. They have their own entrance and do not go by the malls no firearm rule. The manager has reassured me that Open Carry is welcomed as long as the firearm stays inside the holster. Sometimes you may get a greeter that is unsure of the rule but it usually just a few words to explain that an OC has already been established and in I go.

Doc

You are not bringing in your firearm for repair, service, or trade so that sign might as well have a picture of a lollipop on it.

i as well open carry into Cabelas in hazelwood and have 0 problem. a few greeters at the front small stand said they respect my right to open carry and ask me to keep it holstered. (no brainer)

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Kansas

Summary
While Kansas is an open carry state, they have incomplete preemption on open carry. This means that there are some local ordinances that could constitute a nightmare for the law abiding citizen, except for concealed handgun permit holders when inside vehicles

Sounds like Missouri.

Firedawg314

You are not bringing in your firearm for repair, service, or trade so that sign might as well have a picture of a lollipop on it.

i as well open carry into Cabelas in hazelwood and have 0 problem. a few greeters at the front small stand said they respect my right to open carry and ask me to keep it holstered. (no brainer)

Hmmm... I just tried to open carry there yesterday. I was stopped by the greeter that OC isn't allowed there. So I pulled my shirt over it and the lady said, "have a nice day, sir".

I guess its one of two things; race or lack of knowledge of employees?

kylemoul

lack of knowledge of employees. i would of asked to talk to a manager. you are within your rights to open carry there.

xdmcompact

Hmmm... I just tried to open carry there yesterday. I was stopped by the greeter that OC isn't allowed there. So I pulled my shirt over it and the lady said, "have a nice day, sir".

I guess its one of two things; race or lack of knowledge of employees?

Probably the same little old lady that tried to get me to cover mine up, Just politely say no thanks and OC is legal and continue into the store.

I feel a OC breakfast or lunch then Cabela's Stroll is in order. Anyone up for a meet out at the mills this sunday?

Last edited:

Firedawg314

Probably the same little old lady that tried to get me to cover mine up, Just politely say no thanks and OC is legal and continue into the store.

I feel a OC breakfast or lunch then Cabela's Stroll is in order. Anyone up for a meet out at the mills this sunday?

Darn... I would but I'm working sunday:(

Lynno

A Follow Up

I recently sent an email to Cabelas Customer Service regarding their policy of asking OC customers to cover up their firearms, and this is the response I got.

Hello Lynn, and Thank you for contacting Cabela's Product Information Department.

Thank you for the email and the concern. Here in our Call Centers we do not have much information on file pertaining to this, in fact the only information that we have been given is, "We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's." That statement is in reference to the signs that we have on our doors asking customers to check in their firearms at the door. It may be best if you contact either our Headquarters directly or your local Cabela's store directly regarding this issue. The phone number for our Corporate Headquarters location is 308-254-5505 and you can find your local store and their phone number at the link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp?WTz_l=Header

We appreciate your interest in Cabela's and if we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.