• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a .40 or .45

WOD

I like my Glock 21, and I was considering buying another Glock in a compact size, same caliber. Simple breakdown, light for size, no extra safety, my general rule is KISS.... Keep It Simple Son.

tnhawk

My EMP 40 and Ultra CDP II 45 are the same size. The EMP weighs a few ounces more due to its steel frame. Both have been dependable and easy to shoot.

MilProGuy

I agree with what one poster said in an earlier post, that the .40 does have a snappier recoil than a .45 ACP.

However, if you are buying it as a self-defense gun and not a range pistol, I highly recommend the Taurus PT740 Slim .40 S&W. Unlike the Glock, the Taurus Slim is equipped with a manual safety.

02740slimleftslant.jpg

Mine has performed flawlessly and is really fairly accurate at self-defense distances (0-21 ft.). The recoil is manageable when you assume a two hand grip on the pistol.

Some folks have had bad experiences with Taurus, and one poster mentioned earlier. But all firearm companies have handguns that require repair work done from time to time.

Since 1991, I have owned 13 different Taurus handguns, and have only had mechanical issues with one of them, a little TCP .380. I returned it for repairs to Taurus in Miami; and after evaluating the little pistol the review board sent me a brand new pistol with two mags and a Bulldog pouch.

Taurus handguns all carry a lifetime warranty for the life of the gun.

Last edited:

Gil223

Safety, schmafety... the only true safety a gun has is the hand that holds it, and the mind that controls it. The Glock safety system is as good as it needs to be. If your index finger ain't where it shouldn't be, and the gun is either holstered or pointed "in a safe direction", it's safe. Beyond that, everything else is manufacturer's liability protection! If a separate manual mechanical safety is in use, there is a (perhaps critical) fraction of a second lost - for those people who don't practice. (Besides, if one is good, then two or three should be better.:uhoh:) Pax...

Last edited:

Gil223

Taurus handguns all carry a lifetime warranty for the life of the gun.

The warranty, and their customer service if/when they develop a problem, say a LOT for Taurus dedication to their customers. There are some manufacturers who, during the designated "warranty period", look for any excuse to establish "customer abuse" (the use of handloads is a favorite), thereby voiding their "warranty." I only own one Taurus - a .357 revolver - but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Taurus. I am tempted to try a Millenium Pro 745BP, but I have a really difficult time pulling myself away from my Glocks. :D Pax...

SGB

Several companies now offer lifetime warranties, such as S&W which unlike Taurus has a very favorable customer service reputation.

And unlike Taurus the M&P is competing strongly with Glock in the US and Overseas LE Markets.

Look hard at the M&P to fit your needs. Specially M&P 45c

dsc09789.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

09jisaac

^^^ Is that yours? That is a especially pretty M&P, but I like my solid black better (I think). It is a full sized 9 though.

I have owned a smith M&P 9 since I was 16, got a smith M&P-15 when I was 17 (not too big of a deal, I am only 21) and my family has 5 smith revolvers since before I could remember. None of them have ever had any work done to them. All are very reliable. So I trust my life to a smith gun.

Gil223

None of them have ever had any work done to them. All are very reliable. So I trust my life to a smith gun.

S&W has always had an outstanding reputation for their wheel guns - the premier revolver of the entire world. However, I 'cut my autoloader teeth' on a 1911. Fifteen years ago I owned two S&W autoloaders, and they were excellent performers, BUT (does that but make my jeans look big?;))... probably because of my 1911 history, I didn't have any confidence in the Smith's ability for extended performance - I thought they looked delicate compared to the 1911... almost fragile. Don't bother jumping all over me for having an opinion - I admit that I judged the S&W "book" by it's cover, and that the S&W autoloader products are probably every bit as reliable as the Colt 1911-style. Today, I trust my life to anything I own, but my WOC is my Glocks. Pax...

09jisaac

S&W has always had an outstanding reputation for their wheel guns - the premier revolver of the entire world. However, I 'cut my autoloader teeth' on a 1911. Fifteen years ago I owned two S&W autoloaders, and they were excellent performers, BUT (does that but make my jeans look big?;))... probably because of my 1911 history, I didn't have any confidence in the Smith's ability for extended performance - I thought they looked delicate compared to the 1911... almost fragile. Don't bother jumping all over me for having an opinion - I admit that I judged the S&W "book" by it's cover, and that the S&W autoloader products are probably every bit as reliable as the Colt 1911-style. Today, I trust my life to anything I own, but my WOC is my Glocks. Pax...

At 1st when I read that I thought you were accusing me of jumping all over you. And no, your opinion is a very valid one. You like 1911s (who doesn't really?) I respect that and there is no way that the M&P can have the reputation of the 1911. Compared to the 1911 the M&P is an infant. The polymer pistol isn't for everyone and just because you like one don't mean you will like the next. I am looking into getting a 1911 they just fit almost everyones hand.

But about them looking delicate compared to the 1911: They don't look as sturdy but I wouldn't say they look delicate. Almost like comparing a hummer to a tank really.

The only thing that I don't like about the M&P is I can't relax the firing spring without taking the round out of the chamber (nighttime storage). And that is why a 1911 would fit my opinions better.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Go to your nearest public Library 1st.

Most have a selection of Gun books look for one the size of a old FAT phone book from the 1970's the name eludes me (sometimers - getting old) it will have pictures, country of manufacture, prices, etc. for hundreds of pistols. Make a list of what you like and go browsing at your local gun shops & gun shows.