• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safeway Open cary policy letter.

jsanchez

I had a manager at Safeway on top of Queen Anne, that I've been shopping at for 7 years, tell me some customers were complaining to him about my open carry. I told him what the deal was, but I was out of pamphlets. I tried searching for the policy letter but couldn't find it. Anyone know anything?

1245A Defender

well,,,

I did a quick look at Safeway's website but was not sure where to look. Do you know where it says that? It might be a good thing to carry in my pocket

sorry eddy,,,
Ive never seen a cite, but Always read they are never a problem and have read thats the way they are.
I did my first OC there.
When I walked in, their was some announcement over the loud speaker, and a "mananger" seemed to be "around" all the
places I shopped at, but never said a word.
She even bagged up my purchace, smiled and thanked me!

Walmart also follows state law,,, but they let the store "manager" use their own discretion,
which often leads to uneven treatment of OCers.

amlevin

They don't need to have a "Policy" on Firearms carry. They can ask you to leave the Store for ANY reason if they feel you are upsetting their Customers or Employees. It's their choice and if you refuse to comply with their request to leave the firearm in the car or cover up they will no doubt enlist the Police to assist them. As it's been stated an almost infinite number of times, it's private property and your right to entry can be revoked by the owner or his agent.

Yes, you have a right to carry a firearm but the Store has a right to say "Not Here".

1245A Defender

sooo well,,,,

They don't need to have a "Policy" on Firearms carry. They can ask you to leave the Store for ANY reason if they feel you are upsetting their Customers or Employees. It's their choice and if you refuse to comply with their request to leave the firearm in the car or cover up they will no doubt enlist the Police to assist them. As it's been stated an almost infinite number of times, it's private property and your right to entry can be revoked by the owner or his agent.

Yes, you have a right to carry a firearm but the Store has a right to say "Not Here".

thanks for pointing out the apparent lawfull truth,,,, because that is the truth!!!

my point is that some companies, starbucks, safeway and others,,,
maintain a corporate policy of following state law!
they do not allow local managers to kick out a patron, when that patron is acting in accordance with state law,,, unless
that patron is "actually "causing a disturbance""!
They wont kick you out just because somebody is concerned by your lawfull actions!

fire suppressor

It may be private property but the store is a franchise and is still operated by the company's policy's and procedures. If a store has a follow the state type firearms policy it should not matter if it is private property or not

lockman

State Researcher
I think the point is that regardless of company policy if asked to leave by an employee (authorized or not) you leave. You recourse comes later.

amlevin

maintain a corporate policy of following state law!

What State Law? As far as I know, there is none in Washington that requires a Private Property Owner or agent to allow carry of a firearm on their premises.

As for ejecting someone for "disturbing" a customer because they are carrying, just remember, it's all in the eyes of the Owner/Manager as to what constitutes a disturbance.

How many times have we seen posts where someone is asked to cover or leave only to have the "carrier" try to educate rather than complying. Sometimes those conversations get far too loud and THAT's the disturbance that gets them ejected.

1245A Defender

Meh.

What State Law? As far as I know, there is none in Washington that requires a Private Property Owner or agent to allow carry of a firearm on their premises.

As for ejecting someone for "disturbing" a customer because they are carrying, just remember, it's all in the eyes of the Owner/Manager as to what constitutes a disturbance.

How many times have we seen posts where someone is asked to cover or leave only to have the "carrier" try to educate rather than complying. Sometimes those conversations get far too loud and THAT's the disturbance that gets them ejected.

....... you loose.....

jbone

I had a manager at Safeway on top of Queen Anne, that I've been shopping at for 7 years, tell me some customers were complaining to him about my open carry. I told him what the deal was, but I was out of pamphlets. I tried searching for the policy letter but couldn't find it. Anyone know anything?

I see other's talking of it, but you never mentioned if you were asked to leave, were you?

If not great, and make a complaint to the manger about being harassed by other customers.

jsanchez

The manager never asked me to leave. I've been shopping there for 7 years. The store is in the rich elite of seattle's anti gun neighborhood. This is the were the anti gun leader Tom Wales was killed.

I live here. Never had any problems. This manager seemed interested in not a good way. He struck me as being an instigator and a threat to changing the way things are.

I went back to the store 3 hours later to get some party supplies and talked with one of the other managers that knows me, and gave him one of our pamphlets to give to the other manager. So we will see what happens.

I only asked where the policy letter was because it would squash things quickly. I thought I saw it here, but I guess not, no one seems to know where it is.

Last edited:

wrightme

....... you loose.....
You mean 'lose?'

No matter, he doesn't lose.

"Follow state law" can mean whatever they desire it to mean. It means that if they are required to post, they can. It also means that they can choose to allow lawful carry if they desire. The popular view by OCers is that 'it means they must allow OC.' But, that isn't accurate.

If the business owner (or representative of the business owner) desires anyone to leave, they have that power. If they choose to eject someone for simply OC of a firearm, they can. And, they can do that by following state law. Now, IF the corporate policy were to "allow Second Amendment Rights in accordance with state law," then you would have a point.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Please bookmark the nwcdl.org page, this is where downloads are kept.

Here is a letter from Safeway. However, as others have discussed, a manager may ask you to leave at any time and failure to do so is trespassing.

Last edited:

Difdi

However, as others have discussed, a manager may ask you to leave at any time and failure to do so is trespassing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The way the law is written, an employee (even a manager) is probably not acting as the agent of the owner while disobeying the owner's policies, guidelines or orders. The problem with the view that any employee is always the agent, is that that would permit the lowest ranked employee to call police and trespass anyone, even the store manager or owner for any reason (and it occurs to me that a believable impostor doing so would be a nifty way to rob a store).

The thing is, police generally just arrest anyone an employee (or believable impostor) points at and calls a trespasser. So you might be legally on solid ground, but you'd still go to jail.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't think that's necessarily true. The way the law is written, an employee (even a manager) is probably not acting as the agent of the owner while disobeying the owner's policies, guidelines or orders. The problem with the view that any employee is always the agent, is that that would permit the lowest ranked employee to call police and trespass anyone, even the store manager or owner for any reason (and it occurs to me that a believable impostor doing so would be a nifty way to rob a store).

The thing is, police generally just arrest anyone an employee (or believable impostor) points at and calls a trespasser. So you might be legally on solid ground, but you'd still go to jail.

Wrong. I have been a manager in retail for 20+ years, including Safeway. You are flat out wrong.