• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safeway Open cary policy letter.

TechnoWeenie

Wrong. I have been a manager in retail for 20+ years, including Safeway. You are flat out wrong.

If a lowly sales clerk is NOT vested with the authority by HIS superior to eject people from the store, Ie. check with the supervisor first and the supervisor makes the decision.. It would seem to me that the employee, directly in violation of company policy, does NOT have the authority to eject people, and any request is invalid since no authority has been granted.

According to some of you guys, the bread guy that comes in @ 3am, who's in the store all of 30 mins, has the authority to kick someone out.

I just don't see it.

jsanchez

Thanks gogodawgs for the letter, and I booked mark the link. Thanks amlevin, it is Tom Wales and I will correct that above.

ManInBlack

If a lowly sales clerk is NOT vested with the authority by HIS superior to eject people from the store, Ie. check with the supervisor first and the supervisor makes the decision.. It would seem to me that the employee, directly in violation of company policy, does NOT have the authority to eject people, and any request is invalid since no authority has been granted.

According to some of you guys, the bread guy that comes in @ 3am, who's in the store all of 30 mins, has the authority to kick someone out.

I just don't see it.

The problem is that if any employee asks you to leave and you refuse, the police will be called, and if you still refuse, you will be cited or arrested. Then, you are hoping the courts will agree with your interpretation of "authorized agent."

Nope; I'll leave, then call the store and tell them a good customer was just run off by a rogue employee. Hopefully, the hoplophobe will lose his job and I will be able to continue carrying as before. If not, I'll spend my money with private property owners who realize that anti-gun policies do nothing to make their properties safer - aka not idiots.

Metalhead47

I just don't see it.

Whether that employee's actions were legitimate and valid within the realm of the company its self is something you'd learn after the fact, if at all, after you'd spend the night in jail and a large sum of treasure trying to fight a trespassing charge. It's entirely plausible that Joe Hoplophobe would be out of a job AND you would now have a misdemeanor rap on your record.

jbone

Thanks gogodawgs for the letter...

Glad you have the letter you need; it should serve as a solid visual aid if there's a next time at Safeway. It seems that even after you mentioned you were not asked to leave all the what-if’s, and sea-lawyer discussion muffled out this important tidbit. So let me be the first to say you must have handled it well, even though you observed the manger as shaky, you remained without being asked to leave. Good job!

Last edited:

DEROS72

You all have known me for years now and know Iv'e shopped safeway in Desmoinse for years.The manager there had even donated to our Willow lake events ,hundreds of sodas etc.Now I shop at Safeway here in Browns point. NEver been asked to leave.I say this because I have never had an issue with open carry in either store.So I don't see the need to go up to a manager and say hey look I'm open carry and ask for a policiy letter.For the most part Safeway follows state law.Just seems to me another instance of trying to make an issue where there was none.GoGo can testify as to this as well he has been with me when the Safeway gave us hundreds of sodas for a couple of Willow lake meets and our first2A event.I guess what I,m getteing at it just seems another attemt to create an issue where there isn't any. I never understood the need for some people to go hunt down managers of places and ask policy if no one has ever asked you to leave.Your'e didn't break any new ground here.

Last edited:

jbone

...I never understood the need for some people to go hunt down managers of places and ask policy if no one has ever asked you to leave.Your'e didn't break any new ground here.

Exactly! The second trip to store for party supplies required no manager contact. The first unsolicited manager contact was successful, was not ejected. Making the second contact unnecessary and risky, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] manager could have been a ***** and ejected the gun toting pamphlet holder.

What’s the saying “Leave Sleeping Dogs Lie”

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Exactly! The second trip to store for party supplies required no manager contact. The first unsolicited manager contact was successful, was not ejected. Making the second contact unnecessary and risky, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] manager could have been a ***** and ejected the gun toting pamphlet holder.

What’s the saying “Leave Sleeping Dogs Lie”

Your comment does not make sense. He went back for party supplies to a store that he has been a regular customer at for 7 years. He knows the second manager well by my reading of the post. He asked the manager he knows to forward a pamphlet to the manager who came across as less enthused about open carry, just as many individuals on here pass out.

Why is it risky? Why would the manager who has known him for years all of a sudden become an ********* and eject him it he hasn't done it already in several years? I got the impression he sees this manager often and is friendly.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DEROS72
...I never understood the need for some people to go hunt down managers of places and ask policy if no one has ever asked you to leave.Your'e didn't break any new ground here.

Deros,
Where in his post does it say he "hunted down a manager and asked policy"? He chatted with a manager he knows and asked him to forward a pamphlet to the other manager he does not know, while shopping for party supplies. He is trying to educate an individual who clearly was less than enthused about open carry.

He came HERE to ask policy and find the letter, it would seem, to carry in case the unfriendly manager should ask him to leave at some point down the road. That way he can have an intelligent conversation if it should come up in the future, and have the reference material to send later. I didn't see any attempt to "break any new ground" and don't see why the "snarky" comment was needed.

Apparently I'm not reading the same thread you guys are...........

jbone

Your comment does not make sense.

Makes perfect sense, the first encounter was a win, he was not ejected. There was need to further the quest. No reason to poke the 1st manager with anything, or anybody.

QUOTE=OlGutshotWilly;1688460]Apparently I'm not reading the same thread you guys are...........[/QUOTE]

Apparently,
:lol: just funning!

jsanchez

So I don't see the need to go up to a manager and say hey look I'm open carry and ask for a policiy letter.

Were you there? Did you see me go up to the manager and say hey look I'm open carry and ask for a policy letter?

When I see you misrepersent the facts to put me in a bad light and it isn't the truth, I think that is a personal attack and I will be bringing it to the moderators attention for cliarification.

And thank you OlGutshotWilly, you were spot on with your comments.

Last edited: