Thread: Beavercreek (OH) P.D. Ignorant About Open Carry

Beavercreek (OH) P.D. Ignorant About Open Carry

Let me say im new to open carry and this site I have my ccw and have always wanted to open carry but my instructor in my ccw class made it sound like people who open carry are dumb and WILL EVENTUALLY face charges inducing panic charges or disorderly conduct charges which discouraged me. Despite that, due to my online research and this site I have decided to start openly carrying, but some people including the Beavercreek police department don't know the laws surrounding open carry watch the video if you haven't already heard its almost a year old.

http://www.ohioopencarry.org/news/beavercreek-encounter

I wonder, have we in 200 short years diverged so much from our European roots that there's a 'European look'?

I've never expected the average police officer to be conversant in anything other than traffic regulations.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-21-2012 at 10:50 PM.

What makes me sick is the caller even states he has a ccw permit but does not know gun laws.

It has been my experience that the VAST majority of CC permit holders out there DON'T know gun laws very well, especially the ones in the "over-50" crowd. Most CC permit holders are NOT "activists", and only learn enough about gun laws to pass their certification tests.

Also, you need to remember that the VAST majority of CC permit instructors are ex-LEOs and tend to be VERY anti-OC, and often knowingly lie to their classes about the legality of OC. If everyone knew OC was legal, the CC instructors of this nation would be losing millions of dolalrs a year...

We here on OCDO are the exception, I fear. We are obsessed with knowing the law, and we go to great lengths to research common law, court cases, and Statutory law. Most people do not.

It should come as no surprise that an old man in OH with a CC permit doesn't know the law.

What is shocking is that he feels the need to call the cops on someone who is merely exercising their Constitutional Right under both the US and Ohio Constitution. I'll bet the guy who made the original 911 call is a registered Republican, which makes it even more disgusting.

Looks like that "See something, say something" foolishness being spewed by DHS is actually starting to catch on--even with people who are SUPPOSED to be interested in individual rights, liberty, and freedom...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-22-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Keep the faith. When the weather warms up again there are people in Dayton who are willing to press the issue.

Beavercreek PD ... Learned a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Keep the faith. When the weather warms up again there are people in Dayton who are willing to press the issue.
    There are people here... matter of fact about 3 or 4 weeks after this incident the City of Beavercreek was visited by about 35 to 40 law abiding citizens who were openly carrying their firearms at the same 5 Guys Burgers..

I don't remember any of them showing up to pester us.

I did get there a about 30 to 40 minutes late.. but didn't see any BCPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Also, you need to remember that the VAST majority of CC permit instructors are ex-LEOs and tend to be VERY anti-OC, and often knowingly lie to their classes about the legality of OC. If everyone knew OC was legal, the CC instructors of this nation would be losing millions of dolalrs a year...
    Not sure that's quite true. I know a dozen or more instructors here in Ohio and none of them are ex-LEO.

If the caller did not leave his name and contact information then the "tip" is not credible and has no predictive value. Florida v J.L., U.S. v Ubiles,

Lthrnck - check your PM's.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Just listened to this. What a freaking FUDD.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCall View Post
    What makes me sick is the caller even states he has a ccw permit but does not know gun laws.
    Neither did:
    the dispatcher,
    the Sargent,
    or the officer's that responded to the NON CRIME location.

And now, the caller and all the other witnesses to the actions by the OPINION ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS have it reinforced that they were WITNESS TO A CRIME!!!!!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"