• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie in MD

Ditty

First off, I didn't see a New Members section. If I missed it, the Admins are more than welcome to calibrate me and move it.

My Name is Ditty. I'm originally from Texas and living in Catonsville, MD. I was brought here by the US Navy where I served for almost 10 years.

Shortly before I seperated my daughter was born and she now lives w/ her mother in Carroll County. I would have left MD a LONG time ago,but I just couldn't stomach the thought of not being near my little girl. (And who else is going to teach her to think for herself?!)

I came across this forum while doing some law-searching. About Maryland's basically gun control policies.

Coming from ssuch a gun friendly state like TX, learning about MD's practices is quite sickening. It's no wonder Baltimore is known as "Murderland"! Lol.

Anyway. I look forward to discussing and learning with all of y'all!

Dreamer

My Name is Ditty. I'm originally from Texas and living in Catonsville, MD. I was brought here by the US Navy where I served for almost 10 years.

I live in Columbia MD. IF you need a "range partner", I'd be glad to meet you at "On Target" in Jessup.

http://www.ontarget.biz/

Or we could go to VA to the NRA HQ's range--where we can OC for lunch afterwards... ;-)

Curmudgeon

Ditty, file this away under "for what it's worth"...

Carroll County lies just south of the Maryland-Pennsylvania line, so you could possibly live in Hanover, PA or Littlestown, PA and be even closer to your daughter than you are now in Catonsville.

I think you would find PA to be a little friendlier to arms bearers and the 2A, different from Texas in some ways, but we're holding our own pretty well.

Also, you may want to check out Maryland Shooters at http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php

A lot of good people and much good info to be found there.

Edit: nevermind, just saw where you're working. The commute from PA to Meade is just a bit long.

Last edited:

Ditty

I would, but all of my fire arms are in Texas w/ my parents. They are ALL Grandfathered in unregistered. When I was transfered up here to the "Ft Meade Area" (hint hint) I didn't want to risk anything happening to them( or my ability to work.). Now that the Agency is taking their sweet time re-doing my "access", I'm not holding my breath anyomre. (It's taken them 3.5 years to tell me a month ago, "It's going to be atleast another 6 months.")

Ditty

Thanks. Don't think I haven't considered moving to PA. As it is now, I've got a pretty decent non-government job w/ the potential of moving on up, and I'm startinmy freshman ter of college in a week using my GIBill. PA is always an option though. As it is now, I'm only about 24 miles from my little one.

Maryland Shall Issue

I would, but all of my fire arms are in Texas w/ my parents. They are ALL Grandfathered in unregistered.

There's no legal reason for you to not bring them here as long as they are not on this list:

AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
UZI semi-automatic pistol;
Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol;
Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

There is also no obligation for you to declare any firearms that you have unless they are machine guns.

You may have other reasons for not wanting to bring them, so I may be misreading your post, but if it was because you were concerned about some legal issues you are good to go.

Ditty

Actually it WAS for legal reasons. I didn't want to run the risk of someone finding out that my 1913 Colt 45 1911 was unregistered. That makes me feel a LOT better. Maybe when I do my road trip to TX in March/April I'll bring one or two of 'em up here. I really need to get out and put some rounds down range. It's been TOO long since I've shot. Dec 2009 was the LAST time when I went home for my little brother's wedding. All of the groomsmen standing in our front yard, dressed to the 9's, firing everything we had ammo for. IIRC, we had two XD 9mm's, my Colt 45, sawed-off 12ga (think it's a remington), over/under 10ga/22, Dad's 30-30, the 1845 75-80 (I THINK it's a 75-80. Rounds are JUST smaller than a .50 and are around $5 a round.), and various 22's, handhelds and rifles. It was pretty fun. Mom got some pics of us.

The Colt is by FAR my favorite. My Father gave it to me for my 30th birthday and I've MAYBE had a chance to put 50 rounds through it. When I get a chance, I'd like to invest in an XD .45 and XDM .40.

Last edited:

Maryland Shall Issue

Actually it WAS for legal reasons. I didn't want to run the risk of someone finding out that my 1913 Colt 45 1911 was unregistered. That makes me feel a LOT better.

Glad to help.

There is no duty to report anything other than the aforementioned machine guns, but the MSP will happily process a voluntary registration :lol:

Dreamer

Glad to help.

There is no duty to report anything other than the aforementioned machine guns, but the MSP will happily process a voluntary registration :lol:

Actually, NONE of the aforementioned firearms are "machine guns" because NONE of them are capable (as delivered from the factory) of full-auto or selective fire. They are all SEMIAUTOMATIC. Having owned, rented, and'or fired several of these listed guns when I lived in VA I can attest to the fact that they are definitely NOT "machine guns" by any operational, functional, or rational definition and are ONLY capable of semi-automatic fire.

They are no more "machine guns" than a Para Ordnance P-14 or a Glock 19 with a 20 or 30 round magazine, regardless of what the anti-gun fascists in Annapolis and Pikesville would like you to believe...

Last edited:

Maryland Shall Issue

Actually, NONE of the aforementioned firearms are "machine guns" because NONE of them are capable (as delivered from the factory) of full-auto or selective fire. They are all SEMIAUTOMATIC. Having owned, rented, and'or fired several of these listed guns when I lived in VA I can attest to the fact that they are definitely NOT "machine guns" by any operational, functional, or rational definition and are ONLY capable of semi-automatic fire.

They are no more "machine guns" than a Para Ordnance P-14 or a Glock 19 with a 20 or 30 round magazine, regardless of what the anti-gun fascists in Annapolis and Pikesville would like you to believe...

Please go back and re-read the statement.

There are two items there, machine guns, which require registration and a $10 annual fee, and the list of assault pistols which are banned.

There is nothing there that is implied or stated that says that the list of assault pistols are machine guns.

Dreamer

Please go back and re-read the statement.

There are two items there, machine guns, which require registration and a $10 annual fee, and the list of assault pistols which are banned.

There is nothing there that is implied or stated that says that the list of assault pistols are machine guns.

ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTE: Dreamer ... Please stop using this forum to attack other gun rights groups. It is getting old having to edit your posts. Whatever quarrel you have with them is between you and them. Consider this a last warning!