Thread: Attempted robbery at waffle house encounters a problem...

Attempted robbery at waffle house encounters a problem...

Customer armed with a handgun interrupts the robbery, leaving one robber dead..

Link

SPARTANBURG, SC (AP) -- Authorities say a customer at a South Carolina Waffle shop pulled a gun and shot one of two men trying to rob the restaurant.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Coroner Rusty Clevenger identified the dead man as 19-year-old Dante Lamont Williams of Roebuck, who was shot in the head and body.

He knows his stuff right there. Body then head.

But I can't help but wonder if the criminals would have declined to rob the place if they saw him with an openly carried firearm instead of not seeing a firearm since it was concealed.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Looks like another potential repeat offender off the streets.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

The article about this I read earlier today said that the citizen not only told the criminals to stop & wait for the cops, but did not shoot until one criminal pointed a gun at him!
    How level-headed is that??
    [sarcasm]
    Of course, we know it couldn't have happened that way, because the Brady Bunch says we're all trigger-happy and bloodthirsty, just itching for the slightest reason to blow someone away, so he wouldn't have waited any longer than it took to clear leather & bring his hidden loaded weapon into view.
    [/sarcasm]
    (Did I forget any cliches?)
    Last edited by MKEgal; 01-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

This story is obviously fake and made-up.

First of all, everyone knows that "no guns" signs work, and so there is no way that a criminal with a gun could have entered a "posted" establishment.

Second, everyone knows that CC gives you the magical "tactical advantage", so the customer would have shot BOTH robbers, because his CC permit would cause a warp in the time-space continuum, allowing him to "get the drop" on TWO assailents who already had the drop on him, and so one of them couldn't have escaped.

Third, SC has very strong brandishing and printing laws, which ALWAYS work to deter crime, so there is no way a robber could have pointed a gun at the cashier in the first place, let alone at a customer.

When will the press stop publishing these fabricated, false, totally made-up stories?...

<sarcasm OFF>
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Contact California

We need to start forwarding these type of incidents (armed attackers in restaurants / fast food joints) to California State Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena.

Portantino wrote AB 144 (California's no unloaded handguns to go with existing no loaded handguns ban) and said the law in no way infringes on gun owners' rights.

"We're not taking anybody's right to hunt away, or anybody's right to be a security guard, or to protect your home," Portantino said.
    "But you don't need a gun to buy a cheeseburger or to buy a cup of coffee."

Apparently you do need one to buy a waffle...
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

One of my worse nightmares. In general, I probably would have did the same thing... try to hold the guys there at gun point until the cops got there. But for me... I would have told them to drop the guns... if they didn't drop it/them... I would have dropped them.

WOW, shot the guy in the head and body...NICE. I'm not for volience but that was some good shooting.

In a way I just wish everyone would CC... because I think when more crimnals go out to do things like that... they get delt with really quickly. What if everyone had a gun? I think it would have been either two guys going to jail or two dead robbers... Hmm... that's probably why not too many robberies are in the counties that allow OC.

Anyway, society is much safer with one less criminal and one who "got away" At least that guy who was with him is probably going to tell others what happen... the other people will laugh... someone is going to turn that guy in for a reward... then they laugh again at watching his dumb butt going to jail for the murder of his friend... for doing a stuipid thing as far trying to rob a place with a gun.... Laws... they are something huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    We need to start forwarding these type of incidents (armed attackers in restaurants / fast food joints) to California State Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena.

Portantino wrote AB 144 (California's no unloaded handguns to go with existing no loaded handguns ban) and said the law in no way infringes on gun owners' rights.

"We're not taking anybody's right to hunt away, or anybody's right to be a security guard, or to protect your home," Portantino said.
    "But you don't need a gun to buy a cheeseburger or to buy a cup of coffee."

Apparently you do need one to buy a waffle...
    Sorry you live in that area (California). I used to for only 3 years.... anyway, we have said it before and I say it a million times.... if you really want to get California to change its laws, etc... then move. Move out of the state. Yeah, its easier said than done. But if people at record numbers leave California to live say...the near states... they will look at the bottom line... MONEY. MONEY talks very well over there (like anywhere else). But CA is a high taxed state...

BUt other than that... voting works well too... you probably have to get a few famous people on your side.... our side then things can change. Or take the advice of what Portantion said... "you don't need it to by a cheeseburger and/or coffee". have a state wide boycott of every fastfood place. WHen the fast food industry start asking why sales are low, then you guys can respond. Yeah... easier said than done.

Campaign Veteran
    "Apparently you do need one [a gun] to buy a waffle..." -- Lord Sega

And one for coffee at IHOP, or a burger at McDonalds, or lunch at Luby's -- the list goes on. As we all know, NOWHERE is safe nowadays.

And as Joe Bob Briggs used to say (host of "Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater" and "MonsterVision" scary movie night), "Anyone can die at any time."

True, but hopefully it'll be the BGs, and as soon as they "out" themselves. Preferably, with no talk, just shooting.

Another happy ending to an otherwise tragic story...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-24-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    He knows his stuff right there. Body then head.

But I can't help but wonder if the criminals would have declined to rob the place if they saw him with an openly carried firearm instead of not seeing a firearm since it was concealed.

No. If he was OC, he would have made himself a target. They always shoot the OC'ers first. Everyone knows that! lol

Campaign Veteran
    You have to consider that very well MAY be (an OCer being targeted) since anything can happen at any time.

As always, situational-awareness is as important as carrying a firearm. Maybe more so.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-25-2012 at 12:23 AM.

have an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    Sorry you live in that area (California).
    I'm actually on the north Oregon coast, but I feel the pain of those living in California.
    Especially after AB144, unloaded carry was bad enough, but no carry at all !?!

But I do have an idea... if we can get a lot of people to copy the Waffle House article and mail it and a frozen waffle
    to California State Assemblyman Anthony Portantino and / or his local news media outlets, maybe we could get the point across.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freewaffle.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	7816
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    I'm actually on the north Oregon coast, but I feel the pain of those living in California.
    Especially after AB144, unloaded carry was bad enough, but no carry at all !?!

But I do have an idea... if we can get a lot of people to copy the Waffle House article and mail it and a frozen waffle
    to California State Assemblyman Anthony Portantino and / or his local news media outlets, maybe we could get the point across.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freewaffle.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	7816

I was JUST in Warrenton Today on a job assignment..........
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    The article about this I read earlier today said that the citizen not only told the criminals to stop & wait for the cops, but did not shoot until one criminal pointed a gun at him!
    How level-headed is that??
    [sarcasm]
    Of course, we know it couldn't have happened that way, because the Brady Bunch says we're all trigger-happy and bloodthirsty, just itching for the slightest reason to blow someone away, so he wouldn't have waited any longer than it took to clear leather & bring his hidden loaded weapon into view.
    [/sarcasm]
    (Did I forget any cliches?)
    It's funny. I'm debating firearm carry with someone on another forum, and they brought up the irrational fear of 'trigger happy vigilantes.'

They also brought up the fear of an arms race and criminals opting for 'bigger guns.'

@Verd: There was an attempted robbery at a Wafflehouse in Kennesaw Gerogie. It was a bunch of men armed with rifles. It was stopped by a police officer long before it even started. All because there were two open carriers having dinner. When they sent in a scout to case the place, he returned and reported the open carriers and the group decided to wait for them to leave. Instead an officer happened across the group sitting in their van and arrested them.

Campaign Veteran
    Sounds like another good excuse (I mean reason) for everyone here on the OC Forums to organize monthly (at least) OC Get-Togethers at their respective city's/town's/village's/hamlet's Waffle House, Denny's, IHOP, Village Inn, Starbucks, etc..

I can imagine those guys coming into our ABQ (NM) Get-Together last month and finding 13 people OCing...

When are businesses going to get the message that OCers (and CCers) are free "security guards?" If nothing else, THAT should appeal to their bottom line -- profits -- since they don't have to HIRE any. After all, what are a bunch of unarmed liberals (or all those "hippies" someone said go to Starbucks) going to do if something happens? Or store employees?

[a rhetorical question since they'll do nothing, except maybe screaming and dying]

;-)
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    Sorry you live in that area (California). I used to for only 3 years.... anyway, we have said it before and I say it a million times.... if you really want to get California to change its laws, etc... then move. Move out of the state. Yeah, its easier said than done. But if people at record numbers leave California to live say...the near states... they will look at the bottom line... MONEY. MONEY talks very well over there (like anywhere else). But CA is a high taxed state...

BUt other than that... voting works well too... you probably have to get a few famous people on your side.... our side then things can change. Or take the advice of what Portantion said... "you don't need it to by a cheeseburger and/or coffee". have a state wide boycott of every fastfood place. WHen the fast food industry start asking why sales are low, then you guys can respond. Yeah... easier said than done.
    The problem is California perpetually operates on a deficit, so fewer citizens means less California government, means more money.

Heh heh heh.

The loonies would not attack the citizen who stopped the robbery. They would simply say two open carriers/concealed carriers tried to rob the waffle house, but were arrested by police; or perhaps just include the robbers in some statistics "showing" that OCers/CCers committed more crimes than the unarmed public. Its an attempt to regroup armed people and noncriminals and scarecrow us into the "no true Scotsman" position.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.