• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Americans prepares for civilization's collapse | Reuters. Sub-culture? Hah!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/21/us-usa-civilization-collapse-idUSTRE80K0LA20120121
Jim Forsyth said:
Preppers, though are, worried about no government. ...Tegeler, 57, has turned her home in rural Virginia into a "survival center," complete with a large generator, portable heaters, water tanks, and a two-year supply of freeze-dried food that her sister recently gave her as a birthday present. She says that in case of emergency, she could survive indefinitely in her home. And she thinks that emergency could come soon.
There's an aspect of Tegler's preppies missing. How's she/they going to keep her assets?

SFCRetired

I noticed that one of the "doomsday" authors quoted in that article was listed as a former "Army intelligence officer". I would remind everyone that "intelligence officer" is not necessarily the same thing as "intelligent officer".

PistolPackingMomma

It's a OPSEC failure to have your name, all your supplies, and general location, published for anyone to see.

Good luck with that indefinite survival, Tegler.

Dreamer

This is a logical fallacy. Not mentioning self defense preparations does not imply that said preparations are nonexistent.

And considering that Reuters is essentially the "news and information" arm of the International Bankster Cartels (they got their start as a carrier pigeon-based quick-delivery service for the London stock markets), it is entirely possible that she mentioned, it but they edited it out, so as not to let people know that preppers also own guns and believe in the human right of self defense....

Last edited:

Gil223

Living in Utah, I know several people who have a 2 year food storage supply in their homes. I have asked each if they have firearms and a 2 year supply of ammo so they can retain their groceries. They all had guns... but only one had what he considered to be sufficient ammo for 2 years. The others - trusting souls that they are - hadn't considered that in desperate times, otherwise honest people may perform desperate acts to provide for their families. A siege is not beyond the realm of possibilities. It is better to be prepared, than to be surprised. Pax...

Last edited:

Metalhead47

2 years is equal to indefinitely now?:rolleyes:

After two years most/all of the unprepared will have died off, and the survivors will have adapted to the new conditions.

Don't need enough food for the rest of your life, just enough to get through the worst of the upheaval until your local community returns to the agrarian roots that built this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalhead47

I noticed that one of the "doomsday" authors quoted in that article was listed as a former "Army intelligence officer". I would remind everyone that "intelligence officer" is not necessarily the same thing as "intelligent officer".

And have you read any of his books to have something to back that up?

SFCRetired

And have you read any of his books to have something to back that up?

After having dealt with officers who thought they knew everything for over twenty years, I don't have to read his books. I know the type all too well. The worst of the bunch, by the way, usually came out of Hudson High. I could usually educate the ROTC and OCS types. They were smart enough to realize that a senior NCO who had spent most of his adult life in the Army knew more about it than they did.

Sent from my hp using a keyboard!!

Metalhead47

After having dealt with officers who thought they knew everything for over twenty years, I don't have to read his books. I know the type all too well. The worst of the bunch, by the way, usually came out of Hudson High. I could usually educate the ROTC and OCS types. They were smart enough to realize that a senior NCO who had spent most of his adult life in the Army knew more about it than they did.

Sent from my hp using a keyboard!!

So you're going to completely dismiss the writings of a person you don't know from Adam, who's not even writing about the army, because at one point in his life he was an intelligence officer?

Real mature attitude there. :rolleyes:

SFCRetired

So you're going to completely dismiss the writings of a person you don't know from Adam, who's not even writing about the army, because at one point in his life he was an intelligence officer?

Real mature attitude there. :rolleyes:

At my age, I can be as immature as I bloody well want to be.:D

The vast majority of officers I dealt with didn't have the brains to pour urine out of a boot with the directions written on the heel. And, if you'll go back and read what I wrote, I said that "intelligence officer" is not necessarily the same as "intelligent officer". I did not say that I dismissed his writings nor did I say I was going to read them.

sent from my hp using a keyboard!!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
At my age, I can be as immature as I bloody well want to be.:D

The vast majority of officers I dealt with didn't have the brains to pour urine out of a boot with the directions written on the heel. And, if you'll go back and read what I wrote, I said that "intelligence officer" is not necessarily the same as "intelligent officer". I did not say that I dismissed his writings nor did I say I was going to read them.

sent from my hp using a keyboard!!

Thanks for the laugh Sarge.

A common punchline we used in OEF was "MI finally figured out..." or "finally got around to telling us..."

That's not too say they're inept, they're some of the finest people on earth. It's just that when they screw up you really can't help but notice. SFC is right about the officer corps as well. Some butterbars think they're Patton reincarnated even though they're clueless.

Firedawg314

After two years most/all of the unprepared will have died off, and the survivors will have adapted to the new conditions.

Don't need enough food for the rest of your life, just enough to get through the worst of the upheaval until your local community returns to the agrarian roots that built this country.

You know to a certain degree... I agree. THe majority that have not prepared at all will be the ones out in the streets, making thereselve like a fool... probably will be shot or thrown in jail and left to rot. When I use to work in a prison, some of the imates would talk about "this day"... basically they made comments of looting (as espected)... but the idea is that, they will stick together as a group. Their first plan is to visit the upper middle class and rich. Because in general, we have supplies and the rich areas will have the; food, fuel, weapons etc. But most likely they won't stick together. It was a bit scary hearing how they would boast about robbing people in a worse time in our society.

For me... I basically refuse to save 2 years or more of ammo. For the number one reason... if I have to "bug out"... there's no way I can transport it. And what is "2 years of ammo"? HOw do you rate it? Do you assume you fire off 20 rounds a day or a month? i just can't picture a years worth if I don't have a number to shoot per day. Plus, I have several rounds for each of my guns. I tried to carry 1,000 rounds of .45!!! It aint happening. I think I will be switching to a .22 cal pretty soon. At least a box of it is average at 2,100 rounds (ammo box).

If I would stock up on something... I say water pills (to clean water). Even if you are over taken my thugs and they have your stuff... but if you can take the water pills, at least you have something to drink.

Food and drink is just as important as weapons. But if you don't have a "community system" to rely on (say everyone on your block) Survial is going to be really ruff.

since9

Campaign Veteran
SFC is right about the officer corps as well. Some butterbars think they're Patton reincarnated even though they're clueless.

Those of us from the officer core could say the same thing about some hapless E's we've encountered. However, should we get into a war over this issue? I think not, so let's give it a rest, shall we?

A wise old MSgt friend of mine once said, "The only difference between the E's and the O's is the heights of the sling of whose butts they rose."

SFCRetired

Those of us from the officer core could say the same thing about some hapless E's we've encountered. However, should we get into a war over this issue? I think not, so let's give it a rest, shall we?

A wise old MSgt friend of mine once said, "The only difference between the E's and the O's is the heights of the sling of whose butts they rose."

I was going to be nice and leave the enlisted alone, but, since you mention it, there are many "sergeants" out there, but damn few NCOs. A "sergeant" is nothing more than a politician in uniform. A NCO is one who accomplishes the mission set for him/her while keeping the welfare of his/her soldiers firmly in mind. A NCO also keeps the welfare and training of his/her officers in mind. And, yes, it is part of a NCO's duty to work on the training of junior officers.

Daylen

So you think the multitude of American farmers, truckers and retailers will just throw their hands in the air and say "I give up"? Why do you think they will stop bringing food to market, such would be the end of their prosperity?

Gil223

A NCO is one who accomplishes the mission set for him/her while keeping the welfare of his/her soldiers firmly in mind. A NCO also keeps the welfare and training of his/her officers in mind. And, yes, it is part of a NCO's duty to work on the training of junior officers.

SFC - Rather than risk drifting too far from the OPs topic, if you have no objections I'll be sending you a short PM. Pax...
Gil223, MSgt, USAF Ret

PistolPackingMomma

So you think the multitude of American farmers, truckers and retailers will just throw their hands in the air and say "I give up"? Why do you think they will stop bringing food to market, such would be the end of their prosperity?

Probably because in such a scenario, we'd be using paper money as toilet paper and few would have enough actual valuable currency to bring that farmer prosperity. And there are always those who find it easier to loot and raid instead of work honestly.

I'm not saying this is what WOULD happen, simply following the aforementioned thought process.

Metalhead47

Hard to bring food to market when there's no money to get paid from doing so, precious little diesel to fuel the trucks, and no goods on the shelves to purchase with that non-existent money. The farmers will have an advantage in that they already know how to live off the land and get their own food.

Societal collapse is not unprecedented you know. We wouldn't be the first, or the last.