• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking out people's "butts"

Eeyore

Since everyone here at Kabul Airport open carries, I've been amusing myself by trying to identify what pistols our coalition partners carry, based solely on the part of the grip that I can see sticking out of the holster. Here's what I've got so far:

Germany - H&K USP
Italy - Beretta 92
US - Beretta 92
Canada - Browning Hi-Power
Belgium - Browning Hi-Power
UK - mostly Browning Hi-Powers, though they seem to be converting to Sigs (P226?)
France - nothing* [see note 1]
Czech Republic - sometimes it looks like a CZ75B, sometimes like a P07. (Maybe a mix of both?)
Croatia - HS2000 (a.k.a. Springfield XD9)
Greece - pretty sure it's the H&K P-7 [see note 2]

Apparently Glock was making some really good deals in the early-to-mid-90s. Finland, Sweden, and Luxembourg carry Glocks, plus most of the former Eastern Bloc nations: Poland, Romania, Lithuania, Hungary, etc.
-----------------------

NOTE 1: While I could make a snide generalization, I must point out that most of the French military here work in the medical clinic, so they would be non-combatants…..even if they weren't French ;-) Once or twice, I've seen them carry a flat-sided, single-stack pistol, probably the MAS 1950 [see note 2].

NOTE 2: It took some internet research to ID this one.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I thought the French were surrendering again and were going to leave Afghanistan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/w...-withdrawal-after-4-french-troops-killed.html

They might as well GTFO, since all they do is consume resources. Same with the Krauts. The only countries that were worth a damn were former Warsaw Pact countries. I suppose they were trying too make a good impression. It tells me that if the Russians went all bolshitvik again they could have europe cheap once we leave.