• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving to Texas

amlevin

Late this Spring I am planning a trip to Texas. Does anyone have any first hand information about OC'ing or having a loaded firearm in a vehicle through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. I know that my CPL covers me in Idaho, Utah, and Texas, and I've heard that Wyoming is now "Constitutional Carry" but am interested in any encounters some may have had while driving through all these States.

Baked on Grease

Best advice is to put a post in each one of those states forums you plan on going to. They'd be able to help you better for each one.

Sent using tapatalk

1245A Defender

well,,,

my studies of ocdo maps and handgunlawus have made my charts and particulars of all the states clear for me.

oregon,,, is your biggest problem, passing through portland, you may not have a loaded gun, or a loaded magazine!
the rest of that state is open carry friendly and car carry has no restrictions.

idaho,,, is no sweat with your cpl or tape it to your forehead or to the dashboard.

utah,,, is the same as idaho except you could tape it to your but if you want to.

wyoming,,, is only constitutional carry for state residents...
but it is a gold star open carry state, and car carry only requires that you tape the gun to your forehead, or to your dashboard,
It must be "clearly visible".

colorado,,, is an open carry friendly state, in your car the gun must be clearly visible, forehead or dashboard again.

new mexico,,, is a gold star open carry state and in your car their is no restriction as to the way you do it.

texas,,, likes your CPL, and even without one, you can carry your gun in your console of glovebox.

Hope you have a good trip,,,, let us know how this all works out for you when you get back...

Jeff Hayes

Even with your Wa CPL be very careful in Texas look for the 30.06 & 51% signs if posted you may not carry in those private businesses.
A good resource is http://texas3006.com/signs.php

I travel a lot and I OC in ID & UT with out incident for the past 3 years or so.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Late this Spring I am planning a trip to Texas. Does anyone have any first hand information about OC'ing or having a loaded firearm in a vehicle through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. I know that my CPL covers me in Idaho, Utah, and Texas, and I've heard that Wyoming is now "Constitutional Carry" but am interested in any encounters some may have had while driving through all these States.

See map at http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html - you can construct a route such that you need no license to carry in the car at all, even once you get to Texas.

amlevin

Even with your Wa CPL be very careful in Texas look for the 30.06 & 51% signs if posted you may not carry in those private businesses.
A good resource is http://texas3006.com/signs.php

I travel a lot and I OC in ID & UT with out incident for the past 3 years or so.

My big issue in TX, once I get there will be Fort Sam Huston. Apparently the only ones allowed to have firearms on an Army base are "Whacko Officers about to be deployed" (see Ft Hood for reference if needed). If I make the trip I'll be attending my Grandson's graduation as a Combat Medic.

I may pass on that trip and just go on to Ft. Benning and attend his graduation from Airborne School. All I can say about that kid is he's smarter than #$%@ and and dedicated to the Army although I can't figure out why he wants to jump out of perfectly good airplanes;)

Trigger Dr

I may pass on that trip and just go on to Ft. Benning and attend his graduation from Airborne School. All I can say about that kid is he's smarter than #$%@ and and dedicated to the Army although I can't figure out why he wants to jump out of perfectly good airplanes;)

Because he knows they are built by the low bidder

Jeff Hayes

My big issue in TX, once I get there will be Fort Sam Huston. Apparently the only ones allowed to have firearms on an Army base are "Whacko Officers about to be deployed" (see Ft Hood for reference if needed). If I make the trip I'll be attending my Grandson's graduation as a Combat Medic.

Tell your grandson thanks for his service, Docs are a special breed of warrior. Go to both if you can. +1 on the jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

hermannr

I can't figure out why he wants to jump out of perfectly good airplanes;)

I also have an Airborn Ranger grandson...same comment I made, and I spent an awful long time in the Army myself, but never did jump out of an airplane. :)

I spent some time at Ft. Benning, oldest daughter was born there. Hope he's going through in the fall or winter, summer is HOT! and muggy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
With a best friend currently in Texas, and other friends there, I travel there once a year. DO NOT open carry in Texas. When CC'ing, do not print! For as free-loving as Texas makes itself out to be, this is one area where you will not have it. My friends also tell me not to have guns visible in the car, even though they are allowed to be loaded and accessible.

amlevin

I've been reading there for years. Did you note this line in my original post?
Does anyone have any first hand information

It's one thing to read the laws from another State but it's another to read of ones first hand experiences. Just like OC is perfectly Legal in WA State, how many here get hassled from time to time. They don't cover those contingencies in Handgunlaw.us.