Thread: Intelligent Gun Thieves

Banned

Intelligent Gun Thieves

I found this on an M-14 site. Copied from there, posted here.

Came across this on another site...first I've heard of it.

This is from a local gun collecting club, the Houston Gun collector's Assn.

Public service announcement:

While I was in a Denver gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location thatís less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the police chief of that county came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first Iíve heard of this in Denver . Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list.

This next comment from a Gunsite instructor:
    I donít know how widespread this is becoming , but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
    Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.
    BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up! This could happen just as easily at any of our local ranges.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Until verified, I'll remain skeptical.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

If true, then 'un-tag' the vehicle. I always take a quick walk-around my vehicle prior to driving, every time.

I always have cleaning supplies in my truck. 409 and scrub brush. So, I should be able to un-tag my truck.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

In some places police or if in big enough cities the parking authority will use chalk or other items to mark your tire if your parked in a place with a time limit. They will come back in the time period and all cars still parked and have marks they will ticket. So...keep that in mind.
    Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 01-22-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Until verified, I'll remain skeptical.
    It's not that surprising. Not all these gang members are idiots. Some gangs send their people to join the military so that when they get out, they can train the rest in combat tactics. If they're smart enough to think of that, I'm sure they're smart enough to come up with a very simple tag and grab system like this.

Banned
    Until now, the gangs know about this, and will probably start trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Until now, the gangs know about this, and will probably start trying it.
    Am I the only one thinking this would be oh, so exploitable, if it were true?

Intelligent? More like stupid. Even if it were true. There's too many flaws with the method.

Banned
    Yes, intelligent. If you think criminals are stupid, you watch too much TV.

I said this was stupid. Not criminals. I don't watch any TV. Assumptions and all that.

Proven False on Sopes.com