• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intelligent Gun Thieves

stainless1911

Banned
I found this on an M-14 site. Copied from there, posted here.

Came across this on another site...first I've heard of it.

This is from a local gun collecting club, the Houston Gun collector's Assn.

Public service announcement:

While I was in a Denver gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the police chief of that county came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Denver . Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list.

This next comment from a Gunsite instructor:
I don’t know how widespread this is becoming , but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.
BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

OC for ME

If true, then 'un-tag' the vehicle. I always take a quick walk-around my vehicle prior to driving, every time.

I always have cleaning supplies in my truck. 409 and scrub brush. So, I should be able to un-tag my truck.

HolyOrangeJuice

In some places police or if in big enough cities the parking authority will use chalk or other items to mark your tire if your parked in a place with a time limit. They will come back in the time period and all cars still parked and have marks they will ticket. So...keep that in mind.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

Until verified, I'll remain skeptical.

It's not that surprising. Not all these gang members are idiots. Some gangs send their people to join the military so that when they get out, they can train the rest in combat tactics. If they're smart enough to think of that, I'm sure they're smart enough to come up with a very simple tag and grab system like this.