Thread: Elizabeth, CO

Elizabeth, CO

Hello Everyone,

I just moved out here from Denver, and was just wondering how OC is out here. I have OC'd at the Wal-Mart here and outside of the main town of Elizabeth. I have not OC'ed yet in the main part of town due to what seems to me as the 1k foot rule for school zones overlapping most of the downtown area. I was wondering if there were any fellow OC'ers in my area from this forum?

I also live in Elbert County. I have OC'd pretty much all around Elizabeth and Kiowa. Though some would disagree, if you hold a Colorado CHP you can OC with in the 1000' school zone. IANAL.

If you get over to Kiowa any I recommend Patty Anne's Cafe.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I also live in Elbert County. I have OC'd pretty much all around Elizabeth and Kiowa. Though some would disagree, if you hold a Colorado CHP you can OC with in the 1000' school zone. IANAL.

If you get over to Kiowa any I recommend Patty Anne's Cafe.
    After hiking at Castlewood Canyon State Park (didn't OC there, still looking into that) we stopped at Walmart and Safeway in Elizabeth for some groceries. No one noticed or cared about my sidearm. Since I don't yet have a permit, I'm going to Google Map the area so I don't accidentally stray near a school zone while OC'ing.

I will have to take my lady and the kid over to Patty Anne's one of these weekend mornings. We like to eat at these little Mom and Pop restaurants on the weekends. Be fun to have you join us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    After hiking at Castlewood Canyon State Park (didn't OC there, still looking into that) we stopped at Walmart and Safeway in Elizabeth for some groceries. No one noticed or cared about my sidearm. Since I don't yet have a permit, I'm going to Google Map the area so I don't accidentally stray near a school zone while OC'ing.

I will have to take my lady and the kid over to Patty Anne's one of these weekend mornings. We like to eat at these little Mom and Pop restaurants on the weekends. Be fun to have you join us there!
    Sounds good to me. I don't currently have plans for next Saturday.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Sounds good to me. I don't currently have plans for next Saturday.
    I will ask the wife what time will work and PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    I will ask the wife what time will work and PM you.
    Howdy Amigo!
    Wife? Wife? What changed since yesterday? Or do you have a girlfriend.... and a wife?

Just a bit confused following our marathon chat yesterday!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Amigo!
    Wife? Wife? What changed since yesterday? Or do you have a girlfriend.... and a wife?

Just a bit confused following our marathon chat yesterday!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    She's my girlfriend, will be my wife this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Or do you have a girlfriend.... and a wife?
    It's a new millennium. As long as they're all willing to help clean brass, it's all good.

I have a unique situation. My home is backed up to an elementary school. I open carry everywhere I go and I don't pay attention to the 1000" rule as I am illegal all of the time anyway. I don't walk the school yard, nor do I go into the school. I do however carry in my yard and my truck when I drive off.

Quote Originally Posted by jhco50 View Post
    I have a unique situation. My home is backed up to an elementary school. I open carry everywhere I go and I don't pay attention to the 1000" rule as I am illegal all of the time anyway. I don't walk the school yard, nor do I go into the school. I do however carry in my yard and my truck when I drive off.
    This is best split off into it's own thread. Short answer: You're ok OCing on your own property (car to house; house to car) if you're within 1,000' of a school. Being "illegal all of the time anyway" is not only bad form, sooner or later trouble will find you, and there won't be a sympathetic teary eye on this forum when it does. Take the high road and be legal.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

On Monday night I was at the Safeway in Elizabeth gassing up my car and I noticed a man OC'ing! I didn't get a chance to say Hello as I noticed his sidearm as he grabbed his receipt and got in and left. One of Elizabeth's finest was also there fueling up his SUV and either didn't notice or didn't care. Just wondering if this OC'er is on this forum? I got excited when I saw his sidearm and wish I could've had a chat with him!

Might have been me, but then again, Monday night nope. Chief of Police for Elizabeth lives in my neighborhood here in Castle Rock, and I open carry all the time when walking the dogs. We have exchanged pleasantries and he has seen my Glock on my belt several times. No issues here. Carry On.