• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elizabeth, CO

Keens

Hello Everyone,

I just moved out here from Denver, and was just wondering how OC is out here. I have OC'd at the Wal-Mart here and outside of the main town of Elizabeth. I have not OC'ed yet in the main part of town due to what seems to me as the 1k foot rule for school zones overlapping most of the downtown area. I was wondering if there were any fellow OC'ers in my area from this forum?

Beau

I also live in Elbert County. I have OC'd pretty much all around Elizabeth and Kiowa. Though some would disagree, if you hold a Colorado CHP you can OC with in the 1000' school zone. IANAL.

If you get over to Kiowa any I recommend Patty Anne's Cafe.

Keens

I also live in Elbert County. I have OC'd pretty much all around Elizabeth and Kiowa. Though some would disagree, if you hold a Colorado CHP you can OC with in the 1000' school zone. IANAL.

If you get over to Kiowa any I recommend Patty Anne's Cafe.

After hiking at Castlewood Canyon State Park (didn't OC there, still looking into that) we stopped at Walmart and Safeway in Elizabeth for some groceries. No one noticed or cared about my sidearm. Since I don't yet have a permit, I'm going to Google Map the area so I don't accidentally stray near a school zone while OC'ing.

I will have to take my lady and the kid over to Patty Anne's one of these weekend mornings. We like to eat at these little Mom and Pop restaurants on the weekends. Be fun to have you join us there!

Beau

After hiking at Castlewood Canyon State Park (didn't OC there, still looking into that) we stopped at Walmart and Safeway in Elizabeth for some groceries. No one noticed or cared about my sidearm. Since I don't yet have a permit, I'm going to Google Map the area so I don't accidentally stray near a school zone while OC'ing.

I will have to take my lady and the kid over to Patty Anne's one of these weekend mornings. We like to eat at these little Mom and Pop restaurants on the weekends. Be fun to have you join us there!
Sounds good to me. I don't currently have plans for next Saturday.

Keens

Howdy Amigo!
Wife? Wife? What changed since yesterday? Or do you have a girlfriend.... and a wife?

Just a bit confused following our marathon chat yesterday!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

She's my girlfriend, will be my wife this summer.

jhco50

I have a unique situation. My home is backed up to an elementary school. I open carry everywhere I go and I don't pay attention to the 1000" rule as I am illegal all of the time anyway. I don't walk the school yard, nor do I go into the school. I do however carry in my yard and my truck when I drive off.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have a unique situation. My home is backed up to an elementary school. I open carry everywhere I go and I don't pay attention to the 1000" rule as I am illegal all of the time anyway. I don't walk the school yard, nor do I go into the school. I do however carry in my yard and my truck when I drive off.

This is best split off into it's own thread. Short answer: You're ok OCing on your own property (car to house; house to car) if you're within 1,000' of a school. Being "illegal all of the time anyway" is not only bad form, sooner or later trouble will find you, and there won't be a sympathetic teary eye on this forum when it does. Take the high road and be legal.

Keens

On Monday night I was at the Safeway in Elizabeth gassing up my car and I noticed a man OC'ing! I didn't get a chance to say Hello as I noticed his sidearm as he grabbed his receipt and got in and left. One of Elizabeth's finest was also there fueling up his SUV and either didn't notice or didn't care. Just wondering if this OC'er is on this forum? I got excited when I saw his sidearm and wish I could've had a chat with him!

ColoradoFlyer

Might have been me, but then again, Monday night nope. Chief of Police for Elizabeth lives in my neighborhood here in Castle Rock, and I open carry all the time when walking the dogs. We have exchanged pleasantries and he has seen my Glock on my belt several times. No issues here. Carry On.