• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Occupy Wall Street protestor w/ illegal pistol bailed out by OWS

MKEgal

This blog has links to mainstream media articles about the series of events.

Basically, he's not allowed to possess because of a domestic violence incident (which appears to be legit),
yet he got a .45 from someone at an occupy protest in NC,
in a state not his state of residence (which is OH),
carried it in his truck,
across multiple state lines,
without any sort of license (because he's prohibited),
no note of whether it was unloaded & in a locked case, out of reach (I'd guess no),
into NYC,
and fell prey to their draconian gun laws.

Then Occupy bailed him out.
So how exactly did Occupy justify paying his bail?

Now, since the pistol was apparently a gift, that would be legal, right?
Except that he's prohibited.

I admit, none of what he did harmed anyone, but he did break multiple laws.
One more example of a bunch of bad laws - they don't stop criminals, they do infringe the rights of decent people.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Meanwhile Meredith Graves, a law-abiding citizen from TN with a legitimate carry permit, is looking at 3 years in a NY prison for trying to do the right thing, and check her gun when she saw a sign at "Ground Zero" while carrying her lawfull-possessed firearm. And THAT story got ALL KINDS of national news coverage...

So when some violent, crazed tatoo artists transports an illegally-obtained gun into NY to hang out with a bunch of unemployed anti-American hippies, it's OK, but when some law-abiding woman from TN tries to follow the law, she's looking at prison.

Yeah, that makes sense...

Kirbinator

The Right To Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed...

Criminals never ceded the right to bear arms.

Ergo, they are the only ones who can in all circumstances.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Meanwhile Meredith Graves, a law-abiding citizen from TN with a legitimate carry permit, is looking at 3 years in a NY prison for trying to do the right thing, and check her gun when she saw a sign at "Ground Zero" while carrying her lawfull-possessed firearm. And THAT story got ALL KINDS of national news coverage...

So when some violent, crazed tatoo artists transports an illegally-obtained gun into NY to hang out with a bunch of unemployed anti-American hippies, it's OK, but when some law-abiding woman from TN tries to follow the law, she's looking at prison.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a law-abiding citizen... Some people try to follow the law to the best of their ability, but with millions of laws on the books on the municipal, county, state, and federal levels, everyone is a criminal and nobody has the ability to know or follow all of the laws. Many criminals never knew they were one, and some have never been convicted of their crimes, but we are all criminals.

Some criminals rape, rob, and kill. Others bring the wrong thing in the wrong place, step over the wrong imaginary line in the sand, ingest the wrong thing, do something trivial without the proper licenses or tax stamps, or break some other obscure law.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

I don't believe there is such a thing as a law-abiding citizen.
Abide is not synonymous with obey. It means delay, stay, dwell, sojourn, endure, sustain, submit, tolerate, suffer, suffer for ... It's from Old English 'to wait' - from before Shakespeare.

A law abiding citizen is put-off at the thought of not obeying the law.

Only the law abiding abide the law.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't believe there is such a thing as a law-abiding citizen... Some people try to follow the law to the best of their ability, but with millions of laws on the books on the municipal, county, state, and federal levels, everyone is a criminal and nobody has the ability to know or follow all of the laws. Many criminals never knew they were one, and some have never been convicted of their crimes, but we are all criminals.

Some criminals rape, rob, and kill. Others bring the wrong thing in the wrong place, step over the wrong imaginary line in the sand, ingest the wrong thing, do something trivial without the proper licenses or tax stamps, or break some other obscure law.

Ayn Rand commented on this in Atlas Shrugged. The bad guy said:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of lawbreakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

Dreamer

There is a disturbing trend toward the "felonization" of everyday activities, and this is being driven by two camps--one, the nanny-state control freak sociopaths in Government, and two, the Prison-Industrial Complex, in their ever-growing campaign to expand their population.

It has become nearly impossible to get out of bed in the USA without committing a felony...

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonie...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327282037&sr=1-2

It's getting so bad that even traditionally left-leaning liberal civil rights activists like Larry Silverglate are starting to call out jurisdictions like NYC on their repulsive and unconstitutional gun laws:

http://www.harveysilverglate.com/TheSilvergLatest/TFD/HaveGunDontTravel.aspx

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Basically, he's not allowed to possess because of a domestic violence incident (which appears to be legit),
SNIP
and fell prey to their draconian gun laws.
SNIP
I admit, none of what he did harmed anyone, but he did break multiple laws.
One more example of a bunch of bad laws - they don't stop criminals, they do infringe the rights of decent people.
Domestic violence, broke NUMEROUS laws afterwards. .. Then "fell prey" ... Decent people?

Maybe I am not understanding the OP's intent. Yes, NY gun laws are ridiculous as are those of most of the NE states and IL, CA and HI. However, a guy who commits domestic violence and then several felonies is not decent people and is not remotely an example of LAC. Sounds like he was headed towards getting busted by an LEO somewhere for something soon.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Dreamer, we've discussed this. When you post responses I agree with entirely I find myself with the urge to line my ballcap with reynolds wrap. :D

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Domestic violence, broke NUMEROUS laws afterwards. .. Then "fell prey" ... Decent people?

Maybe I am not understanding the OP's intent. Yes, NY gun laws are ridiculous as are those of most of the NE states and IL, CA and HI. However, a guy who commits domestic violence and then several felonies is not decent people and is not remotely an example of LAC. Sounds like he was headed towards getting busted by an LEO somewhere for something soon.

Getting charged with domestic violence these days can happen even if you were miles away at the time your "baby's momma" alleged you beat her. If your brother is pist off at you and throws his keys at you he can be charged with DV. If your 36 y/o loser druggie daughter who's "living with you" after her release from rehab and you slap her in the head after finding her in your house with her deadbeat friends sharing a needle, you're guilty of DV. The Laughtenberg Law is one of the most insidious reactionary laws passed in a futile attempt too keep people from killing each other, even though killing itself is illegal.

I have no sympathy for the guy, and it has little too to with the fact he's a libtard oxygen thief. However gun laws like those in the People's Republik of New York not only infringe on the rights of decent people, they infringe of the rights of scumbag malcontents who deserve the same rights the rest of us do until they cross the line of being an actual violent felon. As much as hate people who keep themselves in relationships with people who are violent, or "push their buttons" so hard they react violently, laws that forever disarm a person who lost it and slapped the person who may have even deserved it or used violence to dominate a weaker person do not stop this behavior. It's the later sort of people who the law was designed to disarm and there is a reasonable basis for it, but it's still over reaching and has denied the RTKBA too far too many people.

Dreamer

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
There are more people in prison in the US today than Stalin EVER had in his gulags.

There are more black men in prison in the USA today than there were slaves in the USA in 1850.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2012/01/30/120130crat_atlarge_gopnik?currentPage=all

Anyone who doesn't think we are already living in a police state is just uninformed about the TRUE nature of the Prison-Industrial Complex...

Uhhh... Last I looked Stalin killed around 20 million or more people, most of whom never made it too the gulags. There is no rational comparison to our prison population and that of the USSR. Now I can agree there are WAY TOO MANY people locked up for some stupid reasons like drug possesion. I still don't have a lot of sympathy for them because it's real easy to stay out of prison...

DON'T BREAK THE %$#@!* LAW!!!!:p

I did see something disturbing on MSNBC (I find it disturbing I watched anything on MSNBC as well) about prisoners manufacturing consumer goods for private industrial profit, on this issue I'm in agreement (I assume) with you that it's wrong.

Dreamer

I did see something disturbing on MSNBC (I find it disturbing I watched anything on MSNBC as well) about prisoners manufacturing consumer goods for private industrial profit, on this issue I'm in agreement (I assume) with you that it's wrong.

Yes, we agree on this point 100%.

Generally, prison labor gets about $0.25/hour for their work. They manufacture furniture, prefab building components, clothing and printed material for the government and for various school systems and foodstuffs for school lunch programs.

Prison labor is the "new plantation".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/us/25inmates.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.thenation.com/article/162478/hidden-history-alec-and-prison-labor

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8289

I've got no issue for "penal labor" like highway cleanup crews, working on farms to grow their own food for use INSIDE the prison system, stamping license plates, and even breaking big rocks into little rocks. But using the prison population to undermine the American labor force with impossibly cheap labor is fundamentally anti-American and egregiously immoral...

Jack House

Getting charged with domestic violence these days can happen even if you were miles away at the time your "baby's momma" alleged you beat her. If your brother is pist off at you and throws his keys at you he can be charged with DV. If your 36 y/o loser druggie daughter who's "living with you" after her release from rehab and you slap her in the head after finding her in your house with her deadbeat friends sharing a needle, you're guilty of DV. The Laughtenberg Law is one of the most insidious reactionary laws passed in a futile attempt too keep people from killing each other, even though killing itself is illegal.
DON'T BREAK THE %$#@!* LAW!!!!:p
That's right, buddy. Don't break the law. :rolleyes:

I do, however, agree with you about DV laws. And that I have little sympathy for those in prison for drug possession.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Ayn Rand commented on this in Atlas Shrugged. The bad guy said:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of lawbreakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

I forgot to +1 this earlier. Perfect quote.