• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Customer Shoots, Kills Suspected Robber At SC Waffle House

Dreamer

Most of the Waffle Houses in NC that I have seen, are for some reason, POSTED.

If this had happened in NC, the citizen with the gun and carry permit would possibly be facing Trespassing charges, for carrying in a posted venue...

Of course if it had happened in NC, there is a good possibility that the citizen would have been OCing (which is illegal in SC), and the bad guys would not have tried to rob the restaurant in the first place after seeing a customer with a gun on his hip.

I haven't been to a Waffle House in SC in about a decade, so I don't know if they are posted down there too.

PistolPackingMomma

Most of the Waffle Houses in NC that I have seen, are for some reason, POSTED.

If this had happened in NC, the citizen with the gun and carry permit would possibly be facing Trespassing charges, for carrying in a posted venue...

Of course if it had happened in NC, there is a good possibility that the citizen would have been OCing (which is illegal in SC), and the bad guys would not have tried to rob the restaurant in the first place after seeing a customer with a gun on his hip.

I haven't been to a Waffle House in SC in about a decade, so I don't know if they are posted down there too.

Some are, but the signs are not legally compliant, so you are not trespassing unless they ask you to leave and you refuse.

Bearfoot

Some are, but the signs are not legally compliant, so you are not trespassing unless they ask you to leave and you refuse.

True on the signage non-compliance. Every WF I have been to in 5 states has the same sign attached to the building, but as you have stated, they are in a very non-conspicuously posted location. Every one of those signs is about 20 feet either to the left or right of the door, 12 feet from the ground, on the side of the building.

This issue has been brought up before, and in another thread. Just thought to mention it.

Bearfoot

joeface

I just spent about the last 45 minutes reading the coments section on this article. Very enlightening to say the least. And just as always, there are some that want to defend this "good kid" that would never do anything like what occured.:rolleyes:

Looks like they locked down the comments section.

drew9

True on the signage non-compliance. Every WF I have been to in 5 states has the same sign attached to the building, but as you have stated, they are in a very non-conspicuously posted location. Every one of those signs is about 20 feet either to the left or right of the door, 12 feet from the ground, on the side of the building.

This issue has been brought up before, and in another thread. Just thought to mention it.

Interesting. I took my wife to the Waffle House in Belmont/Gastonia (exit 27 off of 85) and didn't see a sign. Of course, i wasnt looking for it 20 feet from the door or on the inside some where.I have only been OCing for the last week and a half or so , so I am still eyeballing every door to make sure there is not a sign. Did I read right, that the signs dont bear weight of law?

PistolPackingMomma

Interesting. I took my wife to the Waffle House in Belmont/Gastonia (exit 27 off of 85) and didn't see a sign. Of course, i wasnt looking for it 20 feet from the door or on the inside some where.I have only been OCing for the last week and a half or so , so I am still eyeballing every door to make sure there is not a sign. Did I read right, that the signs dont bear weight of law?

I don't know about NC, but here in SC the signs must meet a strict set of guidelines to be considered legal and bearing the weight of law.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.
(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.
(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
(1) clearly visible from outside the building;
(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;
(5) a diameter of a circle; and
(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.
(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;
(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;
(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

The Waffle Houses I've seen that ARE posted are on a yellow sign that says "No weapons" or "No firearms" and is usually located at the end opposite of the door; generally close to the dumpster.

Again, this is just for SC; NC law is most likely different.

Dreamer

The Waffle Houses I've seen that ARE posted are on a yellow sign that says "No weapons" or "No firearms" and is usually located at the end opposite of the door; generally close to the dumpster.

Again, this is just for SC; NC law is most likely different.

Most of the posted WH's in NC that I've seen are posted the same way--a sign about 12 feet off the ground, at the back of the building--unless you're LOOKING for it you'd never see it. I think they put it there thinking that the creeping sneaking thugs who are going to rob them will see it while they are sneaking up on the building... :banghead:

I went to one of the Waffle Houses in Greenville NC with another member of OCDO for lunch this past summer, and it took us nearly 10 minutes to find the sign.

As for the law and "statutorily compliant" signage in NC, the law is VERY vague (like MOST NC firearms laws). There is no proscribed verbiage or symbols for "gun ban" signs in NC Statute. There are no size, color or location specifications. The law only says that a sign must be posted "conspicuously", whatever THAT means...

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

So actually, if an establishment fashioned their signs per the guidelines of the NC statute (which deals ONLY with CC), then OC would be legal...

I suppose to the garbage man, the Waffle House signs are "conspicuous", but to patrons who park in front and go in through the main entrance, they are quite literally invisible.

Anyway, when I went with a friend to that WH in G-Vegas, after we found the sign, we went in anyway, because it said "No Illegal Firearms". Since both our handguns are 100% legal, and we both have NC CHPs, and WH doesn't serve alcohol or charge admission, and NC is an Open Carry State (we were OCing) the way WE saw it, the signs didn't apply to us. The management and employees didn't say a word to us.

We both got big plates of loaded-up hashies, and left good tips... :banana:

Last edited: