• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick GA question - Can the Speaker of the House kill a bill?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not sure where to even look for this...

Can the Speaker of the House put a bill in his pocket, so to speak, and not assign it to a committee, effectively killing it?

TFred

I don't know what or even if there is rule Tfred...but it's done every year.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Can he? Yes.

May he? Seems like they let him get away with it, so again yes.

For those who were not aware, some bills are introduced so that the legislator can tell their constituent(s) that they kept their promise to introduce the bill. Without formally asking for it to be withdrawn they can indicate they do not want it to proceed.

The Speaker or the Minority Whip can advance their party's agenda by not assigning certain bills to a committee. The sponsor has a small number of ways of asking for the bill to be assigned, but runs the risk of serious and long-term reprisal if they push the matter.

Pocketing a bill avoids the public declaration of being tabled till next year, passed by indefinately, or worst of all being voted down.

We had aked if it really was necessary to post this and I guess the answer is "Yes, it is." So here t is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbml6WIQPo

stay safe.