• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about permit

importinvasion

Sorry for the cc question, but I'm sure some of you have one anyway, even though you may choose to oc. I'm going for my cc application tomorrow. Now when I did the ppp application, I answered no to the whether I have ever been arrested, as my record was sealed/expunged as a minor. I was approved no problem. Just making sure it is ok to do the same with the cc application. I was always told to answer no to those questions as my record was not only a violation, but expunged by the courts. I was a minor at the time. Anybody have any input?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Dreamer

If you haven't checked your record already to make sure your ADULT record is clean, it's sort of a crap shoot. Sometimes juvnile violations are actually expunged, and sometimes they hang around to cause trouble later.

If you get rejected for your CHP, you're going to have to hire a lawyer to get the Court of Record to remove those records from your adult profile, and it's going to cost you a few grand to get a "clean record" again. Yes that is correct--YOU have to pay to make the Courts do their job if they screw up and don't do what they are supposed to and it causes problems.

So there is no real way to answer your question unless you do a background check yourself (or have a lawyer do it for you) before hand...

Good luck!

importinvasion

Well wouldn't they have caught it during the background check for my pistol purchase permit? Like I said it was just a violation and should in no way disprove cc permit

ArmySoldier22

Well wouldn't they have caught it during the background check for my pistol purchase permit? Like I said it was just a violation and should in no way disprove cc permit

As long as they aren't doing their background checks through the FBI "which I doubt they are", then you Shouldn't have anything to worry about since you were cleared for your PPP. I did say Shouldn't.

Carry24/7

When you do the CC permit they send your prints off to the FBI. When I did mine the officer told me they do them on a scanner type system and send them to the FBI. I told him I was just printed by the FBI the week before. He stopped printing me and asked what did they print your for. I guess he thought I was a bad guy or something. After I told him it was for a job he was cool. But they do send your prints to the FBI or your CC.

ArmySoldier22

When you do the CC permit they send your prints off to the FBI. When I did mine the officer told me they do them on a scanner type system and send them to the FBI. I told him I was just printed by the FBI the week before. He stopped printing me and asked what did they print your for. I guess he thought I was a bad guy or something. After I told him it was for a job he was cool. But they do send your prints to the FBI or your CC.

It's a possibility that it might come up then.. even though those records are "expunged", they still come up in a lot of FBI background searches. I seen it happen to a few people in the military who were waiting on government clearances. Those background checks can last months though, so I'm not sure if there's going to be a difference here.

Last edited:

importinvasion

Well I guess I just gotta wish for best. I know for a fact that it will not keep me from getting cc, just hoping it doesn't delay me getting mine. I was so minor that there is no way it can keep me from a permit. Its just that I can't find my disposition from that occurrence. Thanks for the replies

rotorhead

Well I guess I just gotta wish for best. I know for a fact that it will not keep me from getting cc, just hoping it doesn't delay me getting mine. I was so minor that there is no way it can keep me from a permit. Its just that I can't find my disposition from that occurrence. Thanks for the replies

You can't really tell from the check they use for the PPP. There are some things that may show up during a PPP check that do not disqualify you for that permit, that may be used as a block for the CHP. One example would be a prior conviction for ccw. It may not be cause to deny a PPP, but it's a requirement to deny you your CHP.

So while your PPP check may not have contained anything for them to deny that permit, there may be things in there that could cause problems for the CHP. What I'm not sure of is which check they use for the CHP. Is it a NCIS check only? Or do they run state level convictions and records too...?

Someone should be around soon to help clarify that much.

cricketdad

You can't really tell from the check they use for the PPP. There are some things that may show up during a PPP check that do not disqualify you for that permit, that may be used as a block for the CHP. One example would be a prior conviction for ccw. It may not be cause to deny a PPP, but it's a requirement to deny you your CHP.

So while your PPP check may not have contained anything for them to deny that permit, there may be things in there that could cause problems for the CHP. What I'm not sure of is which check they use for the CHP. Is it a NCIS check only? Or do they run state level convictions and records too...?

Someone should be around soon to help clarify that much.

When we got the law changed to allow purchasing handguns with a CHP the argument we used in the GA was that the background check was more in-depth than a ppp. That was the easiest bill GRNC pushed through the GA.