Thread: Sometimes frustrating

Sometimes frustrating

Im sick of hearing conflicting information from LEO's, gun advocates and CC instructors. Why does it have to be so dang complicated. The CC instructor I went to kept dodging my questions about carrying in stores, open carry. HIs replies were always, "they wont know you have a gun because its concealed" well I don't wear baggy fitting clothes all the time and my carry gun will not fit in my pocket so chances are my handgun will be noticed by some. I was also led to believe that for some reason if you have a concealed permit you somehow give up your right to open carry. If you have a CC permit doesn't that give you the right to open or conceal carry anywhere it is legal to do so?

Welcome to OCDO.
    Always do your own research and do not take the word of an instructor, LEO or random guy off the internet. You are responsible for your actions.

Most instructors in my limited experience, do not like open carry because a permit/licence/permission slip is not needed to carry in Ohio under most situations. Taking advise from law enforcement is not advisable. Law enforcement can and will lie, this also applies to people on the internet.

If you are carrying on private property the property owner or agent of sets the rules. If you are in a store and they ask you to leave you must do so or you will be charged with trespass. In Ohio no gun signs have force of law so its best to avoid going into places that are posted armed.

If you have a Concealed Handgun Licence you can still open carry. Getting a CHL does not void any rights you had before you had a CHL. This is the same as a drivers licence, just because you have a drivers licence doesn't void your right to walk. In Ohio I recommend you get a CHL because the state says any loaded firearm in a vehicle is concealed regardless if you can see it or not.

Remember to look up the laws your self. Don't rely on law enforcement, instructors, or people on the net for all your information.

Sadly it's like that everywhere. Most the people on here can help you with the laws regarding the state you'll be in. Just make sure they provide a cite for all the laws they inform you about.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

How does the vehicle laws work for motorcycles? I'm from Ind but have my Utah? Its always on my hip when I ride.

Sorry for the highjack.

Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    How does the vehicle laws work for motorcycles? ...
    Motorcycles are motor vehicles, so you carry on a motorcycle as you can in a vehicle.

Here is a link to the Ohio Attorney General's booklet on concealed carry:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/concealedcarrybook

On page 13 you will find text to back-up my previous post.
    Last edited by BB62; 02-04-2012 at 12:49 PM.