• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sometimes frustrating

nicpaige

Im sick of hearing conflicting information from LEO's, gun advocates and CC instructors. Why does it have to be so dang complicated. The CC instructor I went to kept dodging my questions about carrying in stores, open carry. HIs replies were always, "they wont know you have a gun because its concealed" well I don't wear baggy fitting clothes all the time and my carry gun will not fit in my pocket so chances are my handgun will be noticed by some. I was also led to believe that for some reason if you have a concealed permit you somehow give up your right to open carry. If you have a CC permit doesn't that give you the right to open or conceal carry anywhere it is legal to do so?

N605TW

Activist Member
Welcome to OCDO.
Always do your own research and do not take the word of an instructor, LEO or random guy off the internet. You are responsible for your actions.

Most instructors in my limited experience, do not like open carry because a permit/licence/permission slip is not needed to carry in Ohio under most situations. Taking advise from law enforcement is not advisable. Law enforcement can and will lie, this also applies to people on the internet.

If you are carrying on private property the property owner or agent of sets the rules. If you are in a store and they ask you to leave you must do so or you will be charged with trespass. In Ohio no gun signs have force of law so its best to avoid going into places that are posted armed.

If you have a Concealed Handgun Licence you can still open carry. Getting a CHL does not void any rights you had before you had a CHL. This is the same as a drivers licence, just because you have a drivers licence doesn't void your right to walk. In Ohio I recommend you get a CHL because the state says any loaded firearm in a vehicle is concealed regardless if you can see it or not.

Remember to look up the laws your self. Don't rely on law enforcement, instructors, or people on the net for all your information.

xmanhockey7

Sadly it's like that everywhere. Most the people on here can help you with the laws regarding the state you'll be in. Just make sure they provide a cite for all the laws they inform you about.

hogeaterf6

How does the vehicle laws work for motorcycles? I'm from Ind but have my Utah? Its always on my hip when I ride.

Sorry for the highjack.