• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

glock 19 for open carry/ concealed carry opinions please

mr.jake

hellow everyone. you guys have been very helpfull in previouse posts so i thought yall mite be able to help me with this. i currently open carry my glock 34 in a bianchi leather paddle holster. i really like open carry but im getting to where i leave my house and dont bother with putting on my holster and tape recorder (wich goes threw batteries often) in addition to my keys wallet and phone. im also getting tired of wondering/ worrying if i will be harrassed or arrested when i leave my house opencarrying. ile be 21 soon and am thinking of getting my ccwp.... i really hate to support this ccw crap because to me it ia suppression of rights and does not help detter and prevent crime. i also hate that it is presented to the public as the only way to be armed if your not a police officer. but despite my hate of it i am thinking of getting the permit and buying a smaller glock and and wearing it in a pancake holster so i can open carry when and concealed carry depended on wheb and where i am. does this sound possible? any laws against it? also im torn between the glock 26 and glock 19. im 5"10 170lbs but i appear much thinner and plan to make no effort other than a un tucked t-shirt over my pistol to conceal when i dont open carry. any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. sorry for any gramatical errors. thanks

chiefjason

I OC or CC a G19 every day. Depends on my mood. OC in a SERPA or occasionally a beltslide. CC with a CB supertuck or the beltslide. If it's really cold I might CC with the SERPA under a jacket. Nothing wrong with having the CHP and OC'ing. But I tend to go all out one way or another. If I want it concealed I want it completely concealed, if open then completely open. Just my thing I guess.

mr.jake

thanks chief. im leaning to the pancake so i can open carry or concealed carry without having to change holsters. for instance if i am about to get out of my car and see a cop id like to be able to just untuck my shirt and go about my buisness without him possibly bothering me. right now i dont want to have to deal with possible court dates and such because im a student and money and time is an issue. i do plan to open carry exclusively when i can afford to have a lawyer on retainer if any problems occur. if i were to "print" with the pancake holster would this be illegal or would that be classified as open carry? again i appreciate any and all feedback.

Dreamer

I have regularly carried (OC and CC) a Glock 36 in various placed in NC with no issue whatsoever. I have a NC CHP (and a few other non-resident permits from other states too) so I have CC as an option.

Glocks are light, easy to carry as an EDC gun, and utterly reliable. The G-19 is one of the universal workhorses of the pistol world--you cant go wrong with it. Just get a good holster, and PRACTICE at the range with it--the Glock is NOT a gun for beginners, and the lack of manual safeties combined with unfamiliarity can contribute to negligent discharges...

I usually carry my Glock in a Serpa--OC or CC. Since NC is an "open carry" state, and has no "printing" laws, if it shows through your shirt it doesn't really matter, at least not from a legal point of view. If you have a permit, it's OK to carry concealed. If someone can see it, it's' open carry (which you don't need a permit for in NC)

Printing isn't illegal in NC--but it is considered "bad form". If you are going to CC, adjust your clothing choice so that it is CONCEALED. Try to minimize printing--wear shirts with patterns (not just the "standard issue CC shirt like a Hawaiian shirt--plaids and strips work great too!). if you are wearing an IWB holster, buy your pants and belt a size too big so that everything fits comfortably with a gun inside your waistband.

CC is easy if you put some thought into your choice of clothing. But you can't just wear whatever you want if you're going to CC and want it to be concealed...

Last edited:

mr.jake

i already have a glock 34 and shoot it often. i plan to open cary and only conceal when necessary. i dont care if i print aslong as there isnt a law against it. thanks guys for all the help. so i supose i will get the glock 19 and probably a bianchi pancake with a thumb break. my glock 34 rides in a bianchi thumb break paddel so the glock 19 and pancake holster will hopefully be a easy transition. i sure hate the thought of hidding my gun though... seems so submissive. anyone have a glock 19 and a glock 34? i know my 34 is very accurate hows the 19 compared to the 34 i knwo i wont be giving up alot but my 34 is so great i hate to cheat on her with a 19 but i guess im going to hafto. thanks again for the replya

dashowdy

Welcome to the forum, I regularly open carry my glock 17 but will be getting my ccw as well here soon for hiking in state parks and occasions where I am dealing with gun unfriendly in-laws. I had a chance to shoot a gen 4 g19 this weekend and all I can say is it is just as accurate as my g17 at self defense distances, at 25 yards it was a little bit sloppier but nothing severely noticeable. One route I can point you in is take a look at the m&p 9c kind of in between the 19 and the 26 as far as size and capacity but you can get the extended grip piece and use full size mags for the range or OC. I just got my fiancee a full size M&P 9 she has only been to the range 2 times so far and she is accurate enough to where she can shoot as well as I can at self defense distances,so either it is the gun or her who knows. That being said I love my glock it is a tack driver and no it is not as ergonomic as the M&P but I have grown to love it and for a 20 year old gun it just performs, btw gen 2 g19 can be had for right around 380 bucks. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

11B2O

.... i really hate to support this ccw crap because to me it ia suppression of rights and does not help detter and prevent crime.

Although I think OC is a necessary right, my experience has taught me that OCing does not always detter and prevent crime. Let's face it, criminals are morons sometimes :lol: and if they have nothing to lose they are going to do whatever they got to do. I personally would rather CC, but that's just me. Not saying there aren't advantages to OCing, but all my training and experience has taught me to blend in and surprise my enemy and that's just not a habit I can break.

But about the Glock 19. I have a Glock 23 which is the same size, just in a .40 cal and I can conceal it just fine even with my Streamlight TRL-1S taclight mounted on it. By the way, I love that taclight. It's bright, cheaper than a surefire, and even has a disorientating strobe light function. But I'm only 5'7 and 170lbs, so if I can conceal that then you should be just fine. It's all about how you dress around the gun. I have a Sig P238 as a back-up gun or a gun I can use in the summertime if I don't want to dress up enough to conceal the Glock. It's small enough to fit in your pocket. That's an awesome gun too by the way.

mr.jake

Although I think OC is a necessary right, my experience has taught me that OCing does not always detter and prevent crime. Let's face it, criminals are morons sometimes :lol: and if they have nothing to lose they are going to do whatever they got to do. I personally would rather CC, but that's just me. Not saying there aren't advantages to OCing, but all my training and experience has taught me to blend in and surprise my enemy and that's just not a habit I can break. id like an example of how you suprised your enemy in a SELF DEFENSE situation. not to be a jerk but i think your just repeating all this "suprise" the bad guy buy lifting you shirt suddenly and reaching for your gun. if i were robbing you and you made a sudden movement i would shoot. however i would avoid robing you if you were open carrying.

But about the Glock 19. I have a Glock 23 which is the same size, just in a .40 cal and I can conceal it just fine even with my Streamlight TRL-1S taclight mounted on it. By the way, I love that taclight. It's bright, cheaper than a surefire, and even has a disorientating strobe light function. But I'm only 5'7 and 170lbs, so if I can conceal that then you should be just fine. It's all about how you dress around the gun. I have a Sig P238 as a back-up gun or a gun I can use in the summertime if I don't want to dress up enough to conceal the Glock. It's small enough to fit in your pocket. That's an awesome gun too by the way.
buy the way i have the tlr1s also. hope i didnt step on your toes with this reply. thank you for your imput and advise.

Dreamer

i already have a glock 34 and shoot it often. i plan to open cary and only conceal when necessary. i dont care if i print aslong as there isnt a law against it.

Just because there is no law against "printing" doesn't mean you should be sloppy or careless about your CC presentation.

Concealed MEANS concealed.

You should at least make an effort to eliminate (or greatly reduce) printing if you are CCing, for a number of reasons.

First, if you are concealing but EVERYONE can clearly see the outline of your gun, you will eventually get stopped by an LEO (probably prompted by a MWAG call) and asked if you are carrying concealed. If you don't IMMEDIATELY show him your DL and CHP, you can be charged with a crime because we have a "duty to notify".

Concealed MEANS concealed. Don't scare the sheeple by carying concealed like a thug with the outline of your gun easily visible through a t-shirt or something. Dress for concealment. Modify your wardrobe. Learn about "concealed carry camoflage".

We carry concealed because we don't want it to be obvious that we are carrying (for whatever reason). Obvious "printing" is actually MORE obvious than OCing and WAY more scary to the "sheeple" because it makes you look like a thug trying to hide a "gat"...

chiefjason

Just because there is no law against "printing" doesn't mean you should be sloppy or careless about your CC presentation.

Funny story. I bought a few new shirts a while back and decided to wear one while CC'ing. It was a long sleeve, which are generally thicker, and I never noticed how thin and soft the material was. I was carrying in my beltslide, which stands out a bit. My wife wanted Chick fil a for breakfast and as we pull in we notice a few NCHP cars. No big deal, I'm concealing. Or at least I thought. As soon as I got out of the car and looked down to check my cover, I realized that I might as well be OC'ing. I'm not kidding when I say the cops made me as I walked across the lot. They eyed me the entire time. I just went about my business like I normally would. As they left every single one of them managed to look me over. My gun side was to the outside of the booth. They never said a word. I guess they figured I was no threat. It made for an interesting breakfast though.

11B2O

id like an example of how you suprised your enemy in a SELF DEFENSE situation. not to be a jerk but i think your just repeating all this "suprise" the bad guy buy lifting you shirt suddenly and reaching for your gun. if i were robbing you and you made a sudden movement i would shoot. however i would avoid robing you if you were open carrying.

Yea, but what you have got to understand is that your a law-abiding citizen with clear judgement. These low lives are not. For example, in Iraq the enemy wouldn't hesitate to fire upon us even if they knew there were greatly outmatched by numbers and firepower. And these guys weren't even all fundamental extremists. Alot of them were just poor and needed to make a buck from getting paid by AQI to try to kill us.

Now a crackhead or somebody is going to do whatever he's got to do to make that buck. A sensible person wouldn't dream of robbing or assaulting you if they saw you OCing. But not everyone is like that. We are taught for combat, to take out the greatest threat. But that's just natural instinct. Now the surprise element is better when your in a public surrounding like say a store or something, so it's harder when your by yourself. But I'd rather take the chance of getting shot while trying to draw my Glock or my Sig P238 out of my pocket (hopefully he thinks I'm drawing my wallet), rather then get shot in the face right off the bat b/c he sees my gun and then robs me while I'm on the ground. I'm not knocking OCing at all. I've done it sometimes. But I'd just rather CC, just my preference.

mr.jake

Concealed MEANS concealed.

You should at least make an effort to eliminate (or greatly reduce) printing if you are CCing, for a number of reasons.

First, if you are concealing but EVERYONE can clearly see the outline of your gun, you will eventually get stopped by an LEO (probably prompted by a MWAG call) and asked if you are carrying concealed. If you don't IMMEDIATELY show him your DL and CHP, you can be charged with a crime because we have a "duty to notify".

Concealed MEANS concealed. Don't scare the sheeple by carying concealed like a thug with the outline of your gun easily visible through a t-shirt or something. Dress for concealment. Modify your wardrobe. Learn about "concealed carry camoflage".

We carry concealed because we don't want it to be obvious that we are carrying (for whatever reason). Obvious "printing" is actually MORE obvious than OCing and WAY more scary to the "sheeple" because it makes you look like a thug trying to hide a "gat"...

YOU can carry concealed all you want to and your reasons are not my buisness. i for one hate the thought of it (if you read my replys to the other memebers comments) and am against it because i think it is a suppression of my rights. i dont care how many sheeple are un comfortable by it. ile be open carrying 90% of the time any how and i refuse to buy a new wardrobe to keep from making some poor sheeple uncomfortable with the fact that people other than police carry guns. also i with not look like a "thug" im am a very clean cut young white male who knows how to use a belt. i dont carry myself in a pride full intimidateing manner and i make a point to be polite and respectful to others. carry concealed all you want but to me it does not display to others that law abiding citezens can own and carry firearms with as much responsibilty as police.

mr.jake

Yea, but what you have got to understand is that your a law-abiding citizen with clear judgement. These low lives are not. For example, in Iraq the enemy wouldn't hesitate to fire upon us even if they knew there were greatly outmatched by numbers and firepower. And these guys weren't even all fundamental extremists. Alot of them were just poor and needed to make a buck from getting paid by AQI to try to kill us.

Now a crackhead or somebody is going to do whatever he's got to do to make that buck. A sensible person wouldn't dream of robbing or assaulting you if they saw you OCing. But not everyone is like that. We are taught for combat, to take out the greatest threat. But that's just natural instinct. Now the surprise element is better when your in a public surrounding like say a store or something, so it's harder when your by yourself. But I'd rather take the chance of getting shot while trying to draw my Glock or my Sig P238 out of my pocket (hopefully he thinks I'm drawing my wallet), rather then get shot in the face right off the bat b/c he sees my gun and then robs me while I'm on the ground. I'm not knocking OCing at all. I've done it sometimes. But I'd just rather CC, just my preference.

i apprecitate you taking your time to comment on my thread. i also thank you for your service Sir. i understand what you mean about crack heads and such but retetion and situational awareness are key. i avoid going places that i think i may encounter trouble and am always paying attention to who is around me and cover my weapon whith my forearm always. although i am against cc i am still glad that it is being practiced. i juat wish more RESPONSIBLE people would take up open carrying.

NG19

I CC some because of ease. There are places that don't accept open carry here in Missouri and it is just easier to CC. I know that you want a pancake holster to just untuck your shirt to conceal but there is a good iwb holster that conceals in almost any clothing. It is a crossbreed holster out of Missouri. I use it for my glock 19 and you can't tell I have it on.

Last edited:

11B2O

@mr.jake

Even though I CC, I totally agree with you on OCing. I firmly believe it is a right that should never be taken away.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP there is a good iwb holster that conceals in almost any clothing. It is a crossbreed holster out of Missouri. I use it for my glock 19 and you can't tell I have it on.

+1 on the Crossbreed. I use one for my FNP-40 and the gun just disappears even with my lanky body.

mr.jake

I CC some because of ease. There are places that don't accept open carry here in Missouri and it is just easier to CC. I know that you want a pancake holster to just untuck your shirt to conceal but there is a good iwb holster that conceals in almost any clothing. It is a crossbreed holster out of Missouri. I use it for my glock 19 and you can't tell I have it on.

ive seen those but i want something with a thumb break. are iwb holster comfortable? they look like their not.

Dreamer

YOU can carry concealed all you want to and your reasons are not my buisness. i for one hate the thought of it (if you read my replys to the other memebers comments) and am against it because i think it is a suppression of my rights. i dont care how many sheeple are un comfortable by it. ile be open carrying 90% of the time any how and i refuse to buy a new wardrobe to keep from making some poor sheeple uncomfortable with the fact that people other than police carry guns. also i with not look like a "thug" im am a very clean cut young white male who knows how to use a belt. i dont carry myself in a pride full intimidateing manner and i make a point to be polite and respectful to others. carry concealed all you want but to me it does not display to others that law abiding citezens can own and carry firearms with as much responsibilty as police.

Look, "mr 2-digit post count", I was trying to be nice, and informative, and trying to give you some friendly advice to help you avoid trouble...

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to check the facts before you lay into people on this forum for some perceived slight.

I've been carrying since before you were capable of changing your own drawers. I have CC permits in three (soon to be four) states. I was a founding member of a SCCC chapter at a major NC university. I've organized several OC meetups and range days. I've testified before the MD State General Assembly in favor of reciprocity, for the record. I've appeared on several radio shows as a representative for SCCC, at the request of SCCC National and Regional. I organized two "empty holster protests" at a major NC university.

I OC almost ALL the time when I carry. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a more vocal, active, and outspoked advocate of OC than me. I designed the "NC Gun Rights" flyer PDF that people download on this forum, and I've made similar flyers for VA, PA and WV, and handed out HUNDREDS of them over the last few years.

I was TRYING to be helpful. I am NOT some sort of hardcore CC snob--quite the opposite. I rarely CC, except when the weather is bad (and I have to wear a big coat) or I'm dressed up and wearing a jacket. I've OCed in VA, PA, WV, NC, and OH. I was the first person on the NC forum to post pictures of legal OC on Federal Park Land in NC, when I OCed at Kittyhawk on the Wright Brothers Memorial site a few months after the law went into effect.

I've had face-to-face random "educational moments" with scores of people all over the mid-atlantic region over the last 4 years as I've OCed in my travels. I've probably turned more people on to OC than you have "Facebook friends"...

So don't go getting all "holier than thou" with me, junior. I've been at this game for so long I've got the NC AG's office on speed-dial, and they know me by my caller ID...

I was trying to help, but if you're going to treat people who offer advice like this, you won't be welcome here long, and if you don't take heed to some of the advice on this forum, you will most likely eventualy get arrested. NC gun law is VERY squirrely, and nearly impossible to interpret without the help of a lawyer, or hundreds of hours of research into case law.

When you strap on a gun, you need to check your ego at the door, son.

From what I've seen, you've got a LOT of growing up to do before you should be thinking about carrying anything more dangerous than a spork.

Entusiasm is a great thing, but when you couple it with untempered ego, you just end up coming across like a mall-ninja attention-whore jerk.

Slow your roll. Listen and learn...

Last edited:

Carry24/7

BREATHE Dreamer. He will learn one way or another.

Look, "mr 2-digit post count", I was trying to be nice, and informative, and trying to give you some friendly advice to help you avoid trouble...

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to check the facts before you lay into people on this forum for some perceived slight.

I've been carrying since before you were capable of changing your own drawers. I have CC permits in three (soon to be four) states. I was a founding member of a SCCC chapter at a major NC university. I've organized several OC meetups and range days. I've testified before the MD State General Assembly in favor of reciprocity, for the record. I've appeared on several radio shows as a representative for SCCC, at the request of SCCC National and Regional. I organized two "empty holster protests" at a major NC university.

I OC almost ALL the time when I carry. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a more vocal, active, and outspoked advocate of OC than me. I designed the "NC Gun Rights" flyer PDF that people download on this forum, and I've made similar flyers for VA, PA and WV, and handed out HUNDREDS of them over the last few years.

I was TRYING to be helpful. I am NOT some sort of hardcore CC snob--quite the opposite. I rarely CC, except when the weather is bad (and I have to wear a big coat) or I'm dressed up and wearing a jacket. I've OCed in VA, PA, WV, NC, and OH. I was the first person on the NC forum to post pictures of legal OC on Federal Park Land in NC, when I OCed at Kittyhawk on the Wright Brothers Memorial site a few months after the law went into effect.

I've had face-to-face random "educational moments" with scores of people all over the mid-atlantic region over the last 4 years as I've OCed in my travels. I've probably turned more people on to OC than you have "Facebook friends"...

So don't go getting all "holier than thou" with me, junior. I've been at this game for so long I've got the NC AG's office on speed-dial, and they know me by my caller ID...

I was trying to help, but if you're going to treat people who offer advice like this, you won't be welcome here long, and if you don't take heed to some of the advice on this forum, you will most likely eventualy get arrested. NC gun law is VERY squirrely, and nearly impossible to interpret without the help of a lawyer, or hundreds of hours of research into case law.

When you strap on a gun, you need to check your ego at the door, son.

From what I've seen, you've got a LOT of growing up to do before you should be thinking about carrying anything more dangerous than a spork.

Entusiasm is a great thing, but when you couple it with untempered ego, you just end up coming across like a mall-ninja attention-whore jerk.

Slow your roll. Listen and learn...