Thread: SCOTUS Rules GPS Tracking Devices Require Search Warrants

Thumbs up SCOTUS Rules GPS Tracking Devices Require Search Warrants

Nice to know we are protected from Unreasonable Searches once again.

Held: The Government’s attachment of the GPS device to the vehicle, and its use of that device to monitor the vehicle’s movements, constitutes a search under the Fourth Amendment.
    http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-1259.pdf

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files...tates-v-jones/

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ithout-warrant

Banned
    Good to hear.

I'm curious to see what position the SCOTUS would take on the "gun scanning" technology the great state of New York is developing and the 4th Amendment
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    I'm curious to see what position the SCOTUS would take on the "gun scanning" technology the great state of New York is developing and the 4th Amendment
    They already covered that ground in Kyllo v. United States. They ruled that using electronic thermal imaging to detect marijuana grow operations amounted to a search, and requires a warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    They already covered that ground in Kyllo v. United States. They ruled that using electronic thermal imaging to detect marijuana grow operations amounted to a search, and requires a warrant.
    That at least give some precedence to using thermal imaging software, its the same but different since its guns though. I would imagine they would come to the same conclusion, but at this point who really knows anymore.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Founder's Club Member
    I've got contradictory info.

The info I have is that SCOTUS ruled attaching a GPS under certain conditions is a search, not that it requires a warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    my guess is they use the same BS logic they used to rule sobriety checkpoints legal- allow them in the name of safety.

Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...Police_v._Sitz

Cool Good

Glad to hear... I always feel like somebody's watching me!!!!
    Have not heard that song in a long time!!!
    "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." - Article 1, Section 25

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    my guess is they use the same BS logic they used to rule sobriety checkpoints legal- allow them in the name of safety.

Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...Police_v._Sitz
    However, in the same case, the Michigan Supreme Court found them unconstitutional under the state constitution.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 01-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    However, in the same case, the Michigan Supreme Court found them unconstitutional under the state constitution.
    yes, thankfully we do not have these ridiculous "checkpoints" in Michigan. Still makes me angry that they are allowed in so many other states though. The logic the SCOTUS used to rule them legal is pathetic imo.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 01-25-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Holy necro bump batman!
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

It's a spam post, fellas. Reported.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip