• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS Rules GPS Tracking Devices Require Search Warrants

PDinDetroit

Yance

I'm curious to see what position the SCOTUS would take on the "gun scanning" technology the great state of New York is developing and the 4th Amendment

Yance

They already covered that ground in Kyllo v. United States. They ruled that using electronic thermal imaging to detect marijuana grow operations amounted to a search, and requires a warrant.

That at least give some precedence to using thermal imaging software, its the same but different since its guns though. I would imagine they would come to the same conclusion, but at this point who really knows anymore.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've got contradictory info.

The info I have is that SCOTUS ruled attaching a GPS under certain conditions is a search, not that it requires a warrant.

detroit_fan

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Last edited:

detroit_fan

However, in the same case, the Michigan Supreme Court found them unconstitutional under the state constitution.

yes, thankfully we do not have these ridiculous "checkpoints" in Michigan. Still makes me angry that they are allowed in so many other states though. The logic the SCOTUS used to rule them legal is pathetic imo.

Last edited: