• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news for Wis Wolves

Firearms Iinstuctor

Another good reason to carry in the north woods.

MADISON (AP) — The state Department of Natural Resources is telling landowners they can start hunting problem wolves this week.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last month removed wolves in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota from the federal endangered species list. Starting Friday, the states can manage their wolf populations on their own.

The DNR plans to send letters out today to about 100 landowners who have had problems with wolves killing livestock telling them that they can obtain permits to hunt wolves on their property. The permits will be valid beginning Friday.

Starting the same day, people also will be allowed to shoot a wolf in the act of attacking personal property without a permit

Outdoorsman1

MADISON (AP) — The state Department of Natural Resources is telling landowners they can start hunting problem wolves this week.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last month removed wolves in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota from the federal endangered species list. Starting Friday, the states can manage their wolf populations on their own.

The DNR plans to send letters out today to about 100 landowners who have had problems with wolves killing livestock telling them that they can obtain permits to hunt wolves on their property. The permits will be valid beginning Friday.

Starting the same day, people also will be allowed to shoot a wolf in the act of attacking personal property without a permit

It's about time...

Outdoorsman1

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon

Better lock up Fido.... :cry:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Unless Fido looks like wolf and is running loose, is attacking someone or someones personal property why would he be of any more danger then before.

Based on the number of wolves killed by people who can't tell one from a coyote (Canis latrans), I wouldn't have great confidence in their ability distinguish Canis lupus from Canis lupus familiaris.

metalman383

Based on the number of wolves killed by people who can't tell one from a coyote (Canis latrans), I wouldn't have great confidence in their ability distinguish Canis lupus from Canis lupus familiaris.

When you live and hunt in areas with wolf problems, you would realize shooting them, was probably not an accident.

apierce918

When you live and hunt in areas with wolf problems, you would realize shooting them, was probably not an accident.

that's pretty much what I was going to say. Someone dispatches a wolf... they SAY they thought it was a coyote

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
that's pretty much what I was going to say. Someone dispatches a wolf... they SAY they thought it was a coyote

This is most likely. Besides, dogs would more likely be mistaken for coyotes than wolves and we've been able to dispatch them as long as I can remember. I can't remember the last time I heard of a dog being mistakenly shot because someone thought it was a coyote.

Fido is safe.

Had two yotes run in front of my car yesterday morning. Didn't have a rifle with me. :(

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

ding ding ding ding! We got a winner!! there are tons of people in my area who do not tolerate wolves,
And then those same people after hearing that the newer tracking collars have a heat sensor, the old trick of putting the collar on the underside of someone else's truck no longer works, now they are getting found on semi exhaust stacks so the heat keeps the signal showing that the dead wolf is active.
I have 3 shepherds, one is solid black, one is solid white, & a Cream & Black colored one, they all wear bright bandanna's to help show they are dogs, not wolves.

Lurchiron

ding ding ding ding! We got a winner!! there are tons of people in my area who do not tolerate wolves,
And then those same people after hearing that the newer tracking collars have a heat sensor, the old trick of putting the collar on the underside of someone else's truck no longer works, now they are getting found on semi exhaust stacks so the heat keeps the signal showing that the dead wolf is active.
I have 3 shepherds, one is solid black, one is solid white, & a Cream & Black colored one, they all wear bright bandanna's to help show they are dogs, not wolves.

Hmm...can a wave of blaze orange doggie vests, be far behind???
[video=youtube;z6P5okZRpL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6P5okZRpL0[/video]

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

When you live and hunt in areas with wolf problems...

What exactly is a wolf "problem"? Is that like the "bear" problem in the Co forum? Where an esteemed member baits his campground with food and his children and then wonders what the best handgun to kill a bear is? Just wondering.

Also, how does a person determine a wolf is attacking personal property without a permit?

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Omg!

It's comin' right for us!

sp_0103_12_v6.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: