Thread: Just an FYI thing... MOLON LABE

Just an FYI thing... MOLON LABE

The phrase "Molon labe" is used by some of us in our signatures (one even in Greek!), but there may be some of you who have no idea what it means, since it is Greek in origion. For those of you who may not be students of ancient Greece, or who have not seen the movie 300, "Molon labe" was reportedly the defiant response of King Leonidas I of Sparta, in 480BC, to Emperor Xerxes I of Persia when asked to lay down their arms and surrender, at the onset of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC). It translates as, "Come and take (get) them".

Instead of surrendering, the Spartans held Thermopylae for three days and, although they were ultimately annihilated, they inflicted serious damage upon the Persian army, and most importantly delayed its progress to Athens, providing sufficient time for the city's evacuation.

It is the expression of my attitdue (and I assume the others as well) toward the protection of our Constitution, and specifically, the Second Amendment thereto. In essence, it is an historical reference to - and reaffirmation of - the "cold dead fingers" philosophy. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

It is a simple and yet profound statement. I know exactly what it means. I'm pretty sure most of the people here do to.

I did the research myself when I finally saw it on this gun Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_6223-tm-tfb1.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	7798

A pretty snazzy version of a SIG 1911
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I did the research myself when I finally saw it on this gun Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_6223-tm-tfb1.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	7798

A pretty snazzy version of a SIG 1911
    The dust cover over the ejection port of my M4 has it engraved on it also, and I got it that dust cover at... (wait for it)........................... www.molonlabe.com ! (How FUN is that!) Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    The dust cover over the ejection port of my M4 has it engraved on it also, and I got it that dust cover at... (wait for it)........................... www.molonlabe.com ! (How FUN is that!) Pax...
    My wallet does not thank you for pointing out that site.

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    My wallet does not thank you for pointing out that site.
    Not a problem... I just went to their website and it is no longer shown there. (I got mine about 2 years ago) I did send them an email asking que the paso, though. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

One I'd like to get someday. Ejection port cover from Brownells. Very subtle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ejctPortCovr.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	7801  

Carpe carp!

:d
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Thank you, never knew what that meant. Will add it to my tag line.
    I've got a name to live up to, and it's Filthy. Filthy Harry SASS 24924

Not a problem... I just went to their website and it is no longer shown there. (I got mine about 2 years ago) I did send them an email asking que the paso, though. Pax...
    Keep your wallet handy, Sov. I just received the following reply from Doug Kircher at Molon Labe regarding dust covers...

"I have over a hundred of the covers I am sending out this week for engraving. Re-did the website and took those down while they were out
    of stock. Should have them back in early next week. Hate taking money for something I do not have ready to ship."

Not advertising something you don't have in stock, strikes me as an unusual (and perhaps a bit 'over the top') marketing practice. With that kind of honesty, Doug Kircher could never be elected to public office! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

The phrase "Molon labe" is used by some of us in our signatures (one even in Greek!), but there may be some of you who have no idea what it means, since it is Greek in origion. For those of you who may not be students of ancient Greece, or who have not seen the movie 300, "Molon labe" was reportedly the defiant response of King Leonidas I of Sparta, in 480BC, to Emperor Xerxes I of Persia when asked to lay down their arms and surrender, at the onset of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC). It translates as, "Come and take (get) them".

Instead of surrendering, the Spartans held Thermopylae for three days and, although they were ultimately annihilated, they inflicted serious damage upon the Persian army, and most importantly delayed its progress to Athens, providing sufficient time for the city's evacuation.

It is the expression of my attitdue (and I assume the others as well) toward the protection of our Constitution, and specifically, the Second Amendment thereto. In essence, it is an historical reference to - and reaffirmation of - the "cold dead fingers" philosophy. Pax...
    Xerxes statement was to "give us your weapons and we will let you live." Leonidas responded with "come and take them." Xerxes next said "our arrows will block out the sun" Leonidas responded "Good. Then we shall fight in the shade."

I should add that 700 soldiers (Thesbians) and 400 from Thebes chose to stay and fight to the death with the Spartans. They are often overlooked and deserve the same glory as the 300 Spartans.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 01-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Unfortunately I don't yet have an AR, so I don't need a dust cover.

I was referencing the shirts and vinyl decals.

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm