• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Antony at it again!

mjones

Quick question. Could one expect to be denied or granted a CCW permit if they lived in the Beale AFB area (it's NE of Sacramento out in the middle of the desert). I might end up moving there and am curious what the chances are of getting a permit (though I would obviously prefer to not need one).

Beale itself is in (I think) Yuba County. You need to know more about the specifics of what county you will be living in as that area is composed of several counties.

This map might be out of date, but at least its a starting point for you...
ca_ccw_map-big.png

camsoup

Of a more relevant note; Were any of you aware that in addition to including long guns, that Mr. Portantino was also adding UNINCORPORATED TERRITORY to the places where one may not carry a firearm unless exempted? And furthermore CHANGES the Mulford Act definition of areas where one may not possess a LOADED firearm?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1501-1550/ab_1527_bill_20120123_introduced.html

He seeks to also make the carry of an exposed unloaded handgun in or on a vehicle illegal in ANY unincorporated area..... so I would have to unload and place my handgun into a secure/locked container prior to setting it in my pick up truck??

(2) A person is guilty of openly carrying an unloaded handgun
when that person carries an exposed and unloaded handgun inside
or on a vehicle, whether or not on his or her person, while in or
on any of the following:
(A) A public place or, public street, public road, or public
highway in an incorporated city or city and county.
(B) A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated
area of a county or city and county.
(C) A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and
county.
(D) Any public place or on any public street, public road, or
public highway in any part of an unincorporated area.

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
And in most of California both Open Carry and Concealed Carry are impossible tasks.

Not in most of California - open carry of both loaded and unloaded firearms, long and short, remains legal in unincorporated terretories where the county has not bannned all discharge - on foot and in vehicles, no permit required.

Of course, most people actually live and work in incorporated areas :(

RaycerX96

I dont remember where I heard it, but I was told that a California CCW is only good in the county that it was issued. So basically a CCW in California is useless.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I dont remember where I heard it, but I was told that a California CCW is only good in the county that it was issued. So basically a CCW in California is useless.

false or not, this is california and it wouldnt surprise me if it was true.

You might have heard it as a part of someone's mistinterpretation of the law regarding licenses to carry. Particularly, there are two forms the license made available in the statute. The first, is for concealed carry, which is valid statewide. The second, is for loaded and exposed carry. This second form is only valid in the county of issuance.

Because California is already confusing and frustrating, it is all the more important that we only pass on information that we know to be accurate, rather than perpetuate FUD.