• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB227: Automatic Expungement of all court records if case 'Nolle prosequi'

Repeater

This bill (HB 227) could have implications for Virginians falsely or erroneously arrested for gun violations:

Summary:
Expungement when a nolle prosequi is taken. Provides that when a nolle prosequi is taken, the court shall order the police records and the court records relating to the charge expunged without further action by the person charged, two years from the date the nolle prosequi was taken.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

Ok, ok I looked it up. Thanks, Repeater!

Habeeb from Salem area. Repub.-

And two Dems as co-sponsors. Hmmm. Why would this sort of support be behind this legislation. Interesting.

A political favor bill? Someone with pull needs some crap off their record?\

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I support it also but it should also include not guilty
verdicts.

...or outright dismissal on any other basis. For example, in our recent Boss of Surry v. Skidmark adventure, the Skid's charge of obstruction of justice was dismissed as the result of a motion, not a finding on the merits. Any dismissal ought to get an automatic expungement. (Nolle pros. is a dismissal "without prejudice" to the Commonwealth's ability to re-file.)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I wonder if either democrat who support this legislation represent Safwan Alkabilly, the chap up near Richmond who was incorrectly arrested last year for carrying on school property. If I recall correctly his case ended in "nolle prosequi", rather than a dismissal based upon the evidence at hand.

paramedic70002

I'd also like to see charges that are dismissed after a period of pre-finding probation expunged. Heck lets just make all arrests that don't result in a guilty verdict disappear. What purpose do they serve anyway? At worst, they are a non judicial punishment that gets applied whenever you have a background check done. It should be guilty or nothing.

Repeater

...or outright dismissal on any other basis. For example, in our recent Boss of Surry v. Skidmark adventure, the Skid's charge of obstruction of justice was dismissed as the result of a motion, not a finding on the merits. Any dismissal ought to get an automatic expungement. (Nolle pros. is a dismissal "without prejudice" to the Commonwealth's ability to re-file.)

I wonder if you could skillfully edit the bill text to provide exactly what is needed? You have here the tools of italics and [strike]strike[/strike].

Repeater

I support it also but it should also include not guilty
verdicts.

I agree with you.

I suspect, without proof, that the patron is basing the bill as introduced on the Maryland model. Many, many very bad LEO encounters, especially in Baltimore, led to this new law. See some of the background here:

A chance for a clean slate: Automatic expungement law has helped thousands clear arrest records
By James Drew | Baltimore Sun reporter July 7, 2008
Thousands of Marylanders have had their arrest records removed from public view because of a new state law that requires automatic expungement for those who are detained and released without charge.

Proponents say the nine-month-old law is working as intended, removing potential barriers to obtaining employment, housing and loans.

The changes are seen as especially important in Baltimore City. Tens of thousands of residents, many of them young men, have minor criminal records - sometimes as a consequence of "zero-tolerance" policies that result in large numbers of arrests without charges or convictions.

Arrested Without Charges? Md. Senate OKs Expunging Your Record
The Maryland Senate on Tuesday voted unanimously for a bill that would automatically expunge the police records of people who are arrested but never charged, a measure designed to lift barriers to employment that police records can create.

Aggressive police practices has been a contentious issue, especially in Baltimore. Supporters of the bill say people can end up getting arrested, simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and suffer lingering problems because of the arrest record. They also say some people are arrested for very minor infractions that never get prosecuted.

Sen. Alex Mooney, R-Frederick, stood up to debate the bill's purpose, saying police are only trying to do their jobs enforcing the law. He said lawmakers should consider law enforcement's perspective before voting for the bill.

"You've got to enforce the laws, even the small ones," Mooney said. "You break a window, if you enforce the law, then maybe they won't go from breaking a window to breaking your arm."

But Sen. James Robey, D-Howard, who worked as a police officer for more than 30 years, argued in support of the bill, because he said police can make mistakes.

"There's nothing wrong with this bill," Robey said. "It's a matter of fairness for everyone involved."

Mooney ended up voting for the measure, saying Robey's comments helped sway him.

TFred

It figures that those dopes in Maryland would fix a problem on the back end, rather than forcing their police departments to change their illegal and abusive policies to fix it on the front end. Yet more reasons to never go to Maryland.

TFred