• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry a loaded gun?

09jisaac

It used to be, in california. What is the point in openly carrying a paperweight? You can almost use it as a weapon if they're close enough. Always carry loaded if you're carrying.

Edit: Welcome to the forum, try to have a good time.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I am planning to open carry my revolver,but a friend of mine told me a cop told him," you CAN openly carry your gun but NOT loaded, Is this true?
No, that is not true in KY. I OC chambered and loaded whenever I am there. A few years ago I had a nice discussion at a gas station with an LEO and then candidate for Sheriff in his kY county that started about my cocked & locked OC 1911. He opened with, "Nice looking 1911! What brand is that?" Very friendly discussion about compact 1911s, his running for sheriff (my out of state plates clearly showed I was not a potential constituent), etc. Nothing ever mentioned about my method of carry or carry in general for that matter. Nice guy. Hope he won.

09jisaac

No, that is not true in KY. I OC chambered and loaded whenever I am there. A few years ago I had a nice discussion at a gas station with an LEO and then candidate for Sheriff in his kY county that started about my cocked & locked OC 1911. He opened with, "Nice looking 1911! What brand is that?" Very friendly discussion about compact 1911s, his running for sheriff (my out of state plates clearly showed I was not a potential constituent), etc. Nothing ever mentioned about my method of carry or carry in general for that matter. Nice guy. Hope he won.

Are you saying that you cannot carry loaded in your state?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Are you saying that you cannot carry loaded in your state?
Not at all. Just making my response specific to KY. In MO you can carry loaded where you can OC.

The problem w/MO, unlike KY, is that we have no state preemption for OC. Only CC. So there are many municipalities, including the one in which I currently live and work, that ban OC by ordinance.

I know you didn't ask about OC generally but just about loaded/unloaded, however, I didn't want to give too brief an answer and the wrong impression that MO is as OC friendly as KY.

09jisaac

I just didn't think that Missouri would be like that but since I am on the other side of the state and have only visited MO once I haven't bothered to research the laws.

Firedawg314

I just didn't think that Missouri would be like that but since I am on the other side of the state and have only visited MO once I haven't bothered to research the laws.

No, here in Missouri, our laws are very backwards... Majority of the state, OC is ok. Most cities notice you're OC will land you in jail. and for the most part, if OC is "OK" then you need a CCW or you'll be hauled off to J.A.I.L ASAP.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Completely legal! As gutshot pointed to above, there are only two statute in all of Ky law that mentions open carried weapons. The other places off limits are courthouses that house only the court of justice, (meaning if they have a public office located in the courthouse, they must allow you to carry!) and detention facilities. You can carry any where else in this state, except federal buildings of course! And in your vehicle you can carry loaded and in plain view, or in anyfactory installed storage compartment . Read up on krs chapters 237 and 527.

Broondog

And in your vehicle you can carry loaded and in plain view, or in any factory installed storage compartment. Read up on krs chapters 237 and 527.

just to clarify....any storage compartment such as an armrest console? the glovebox would be a given under such a description one would assume (yeah i know never to assume). locked and loaded too right? but i don't suppose that the behind-the-seat storage area in a pickup truck would qualify.

i will be visiting your fair state for a number of weeks on business in the very near future and just want to be on board. too bad my route takes me thru commie territory to get there. :rolleyes:

09jisaac

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/020.PDF

527.020(8) A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed
concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container,
compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by
its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console,
or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or
compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person
or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or
unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in
accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or
organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be
the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or
District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any
person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040.

Broondog

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/020.PDF

527.020(8) A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed
concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container,
compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by
its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console,
or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or
compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person
or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or
unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in
accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or
organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be
the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or
District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any
person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040.

outstanding! many thanks!

this also clarifies, if i am not mistaken, my interest in the law regarding legal firearms locked in a vehicle on your employers parking lot. it is against my company's policy to have a firearm even in your car. it would seem that state law would hold authority above company policy.

09jisaac

this also clarifies, if i am not mistaken, my interest in the law regarding legal firearms locked in a vehicle on your employers parking lot. it is against my company's policy to have a firearm even in your car. it would seem that state law would hold authority above company policy.

That it does. I figured it would be best to post the law than to try to summarize it. You should read it anyways if you have to abide by it.

Comm

That is what is in the bill being introduced now. HB-280/290 which states..

Amend KRS 237.106 to prohibit public or private employers from maintaining a no-firearms policy with regard to parking lots and parking structures on their property; prohibit disciplining employees who have firearms in their vehicles or using the firearm for self-defense; if a person is killed or injured by a violation of the section, allow legal action to be brought against the employer; allow a person who is discharged for a violation of such a policy to bring a legal action for reinstatement and damages;

Don't know your company, but there is a case now in the Supreme court over U.K. firing a employee for having a gun in his car while on their parking lot. Several of us went to the hearing and we feel this will be in his favor, Hopefully, this bill will pass, and put an end to this.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Their policy is in violation of KRS 237.106, not 527.020. 237.106 already makes it illegal for any employer to prohibit you from keeping a firearm or other deadly weapon in your vehicle, HR280 will amend this statute to mandate reinstatement for an employee fired for exercising this right. The reason UK thinks they were excluded, is because 237.110 that allows them to ban deadly weapons on their property. The only other place that can deny you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle is detention facilities. The fact that public colleges can ban openly carried firearms is a joke, and the law needs changed! They shouldnt be allowed to ban concealed firearms either since state govt doesn't have a prohibition on them in buildings. I keep a cheap S&W AR in my vehicle at school, and carry my sidearm on my person. I would say The SC will rule in mitchells favor because 237.106 was passed after 237.110, and because they know the ban is unconstitutional! I wish they would overturn the right of colleges to ban firearms, but that won't happen. Someone needs to be thrown off campus for carrying and take the issue to the courts. It would be nice if someone who already has an education with a few extra bucks would join a community college, and do that, because someone like me who can't afford to get kicked out isn't gonna go openly carry around campus.

mem1977

You can most certainly carry a firearm loaded. I know this because my CCDW instructor said so and my local Sheriff said the same. It's no good unloaded. Just think how that would play out in real life, "Wait a minute Mr. Criminal. Let me load my gun. Ok I'm ready now." LOL Not gonna happen.

:lol:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Your absolutely correct as usual gutshot, and thank you for clarifying my incorrect wording. There certainly is a major difference in the two words meanings.

Mem- some ccdw instructors will say it's legal, some will say it isn't. Some sherrifs will say yea it's legal, some will swear it's illegal. Always search on your own and you will know for sure what is and what isn't. I know it's legal because the state constitution says, and because there are no statutes that say it's illegal. If you were in front of a judge somewhere that OC isn't legal and were facing charges because you were ocing, and told the judge you didn't think you were breaking the law because your ccdw instructor said it was legal, your going to be thrown in jail. Remember folks, ignorance of the law is no defense when breaking the law. Always verify everything someone tells you, regardless of who says it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
But ignorance of the law somehow seems to be a valid excuse if you are a public employee or official facing a civil rights violation complaint or lawsuit..... 0_o

Last edited: