Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks' "Pro-Gun" Policy Prompts Gun Victims' Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott

Exclamation Starbucks' "Pro-Gun" Policy Prompts Gun Victims' Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott

A nationwide boycott of Starbucks stores and its products will be launched on Valentine's Day 2012. Its goal is to eliminate the risk of guns in public places and ultimately to bring sane gun laws to the U.S.

This boycott is being called by the National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC), a network of 14 million gun victims, the faith community including the: Episcopal Peace Fellowship, United Church of Christ, Fellowship of Reconciliation (46 peace fellowships and 43 affiliate fellowships), secular groups working to reduce gun violence and many of the organizations that support passing sane gun laws.

WHY STARBUCKS? Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states) (See Photos). Starbucks' compliance with the National Rifle Association's Pro-Gun Agenda was exposed in 2010 when members of the "open carry" movement began meeting in popular chains, such as California Pizza Kitchen, Peets, IKEA, Disney and Starbucks openly carrying their handguns and assault rifles. (Types of Guns)

To protect their customers and employees, all of the retail chains—except for Starbucks— banned guns from being carried in their stores.

"Starbucks allowing guns to be carried in thousands of their stores significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence," says Elliot Fineman, CEO of the NGAC. "Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England's gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year—97% less than we have. England's gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry." Non-Sane Gun Laws

Starbucks has the legal right to ban guns but despite having been petitioned by thousands, asked at a shareholder meeting, and a direct appeal made to their Board, Starbucks clings to this policy that puts millions of Americans at risk every day and encourages the spread of guns being carried in public.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...137890863.html

Everyone who can should OC at a Starbucks on 2/14.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    There ought to be events, several of them, around the state.

Banned
    There's one right on the GLX property. It's right off I-75, less than 1/2 mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    There ought to be events, several of them, around the state.
    We'll see what we can do on short notice. Please post a StarBucks central to what Metro area you are in -- I'll organize them into a single event on FB.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    There's one right on the GLX property. It's right off I-75, less than 1/2 mile away.
    One more central to the Metro area would be better...?

Banned
    Should post it here and on MGO too.

ETA, if someone cant make a specific meeting, we should at least hit up one nearby.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Banned
    One more central to the Metro area would be better...?

Im not sure how people are dispursed throughout the state.

Starbucks burns over-roasts their beans, but I will OC at the Okemos location on 2/14 to support the cause and make a political statement against the anti-freedom crowd.
    Last edited by griffin; 01-24-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Starbucks....

... is not Pro-gun, nor are they Anti-gun...

>>> they follow state law <<<

... Starbucks is Pro-consumer, and more power to them for that.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Starbucks burns over-roasts their beans, but I will OC at the Okemos location on 2/14 to support the cause and make a political statement against the anti-freedom crowd.
    I don't drink coffee, but I will attend a Starbucks and buy a rice crispy treat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    ... is not Pro-gun, nor are they Anti-gun...

>>> they follow state law <<<

... Starbucks is Pro-consumer, and more power to them for that.
    We know.

We are trying to keep it that way. Care to join us?

I dont drink coffee either. Had to quit before I could quit smoking. Everytime I had a coffee, I'd want a cigarette.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-24-2012 at 12:08 AM.

ill be at the one in allan park mi from around 11ish till 130 would some one like to join me

I don't drink coffee
    You also carry a 9mm. Another data point and we'll have a correlation.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

From 2010...

Judge Napolitano says businesses can't prohibit firearm carry on their property because they are public accommodations and firearm carry is a fundamental liberty.
    Last edited by griffin; 01-24-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Wheels

Banned

Thumbs up

Then we know who to put in the SCOTUS !

I didnt even know about this. Let me request this day off from work and I'll schedule an event for it, see if we cant get anyone to come out. At the very least I'll be there. I'll keep everyone posted.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd4now View Post
    ill be at the one in allan park mi from around 11ish till 130 would some one like to join me
    that is my closest one as well from monroe i think, i shall try to make that one i don't drink coffee but i am sure they have something for my fat asp!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

to all in the kalamazoo area we can assemble at the starbucks on west main in front of target. ill be there, idk what time yet
    ”To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    -George Mason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVeXbBdSOQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbD2zsar7Ps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqkDABoddM

This has real promise. A nationwide pro-2A show at Starbucks on 2/14? It will make the news, maybe national news. We need to represent ourselves well.
    Last edited by griffin; 01-24-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Wheels

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up Allen park, mi

Quote Originally Posted by rvd4now View Post
    Fixed it for you There are two stores close together.
    I think you mean the larger one just off Outer Dr. ???

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=...e&ved=0CAcQtgM

Wish I could attend but will be at the doc's dang it
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 01-24-2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: link
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

I will be at the Starbucks at 12 mile and Gratiot in Roseville. Anyone else interested in this location let me know a time and we can meet up.
    Last edited by nate0486; 01-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    its better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.....unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Observations:

Starbucks did not and still does not wish to be the center of controversy. That they chose to stand their ground (literally and figuratively) and follow the state law wherein OC and/or CC was legal is very much to their credit. Personally, I would leave the borrowed themed (Love Coffee & Guns) T-shirts at home, conduct myself as just an everyday customer(s), and cement the relationship that we are the good guys and don't desire to embarrass Starbucks - let the antis do that and look like the spoiled child that can't have its way.

Show your support, especially on the days of the planned protest, but do so with dignity and aplomb whether alone or with a group - that way Starbucks will confirm the wisdom of their original and on-going stance.

We each must choose where and indeed how we fight our battles. That the antis select to be in-your face aggressive and emotionally bent should not in any way dictate our response. We are responsible, law abiding, cordial and friendly people that also take self-defense for what it is.......an intelligent, personal choice.
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

What time are you going to be there? I'll swing out... Preferably around lunchtime so I can support Panchero's as well...

TheQ, where are you planning to be?
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast