• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you respond to visitors at your door?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I've had JW out to my place several times. I think I accidentally encouraged them because I was bored and had a long conversation with them once. I live out in the boonies too. None of then said a thing about my holstered gun. Either they didn't notice or didn't care.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Cracker

I can't stand it when people show up uninvited or unannounced... If it's a stranger, they get stared at through the window until they understand that I don't want to talk to them. Friends... They already know better, if they aren't invited, THEY AREN'T INVITED! I guess I'm mean? If I want to talk or hang out, I'll call ya!

As for the JDubs... Their just doing what they consider Gods work, I still just stare at them through the window though and it makes me LOL.

gunns

OK not trying to make anyone mad. I just slam the door in their face. Works every time. One time though I took a day off and the door bell rings. Two very lovely ladies in tight black cloths were there, Mormons going around passing the word. Well I had them in the house and drinking tea faster then light. Had a nice talk and I got to visit with some pleasant ladies.

I few days later two guys from the Mormon church ring the bell, they got the slamming door treatment. Works every time.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Proselytizers are one thing, ...

politicians quite another.

Every election season I get one or more, and during the rest of the year I often get people who want me to sign a petition for one thing or another. (Yes, my area is relatively politically active, though our local representatives are all antis.)

I've never had a one - proselytizer, politician, or do-gooder - mention having a problem with my holstered sidearm.

Jack House

To answer the question posed by the OP. If I have my gun on me, it's concealed. Because I'm about to leave the house(thanks, Texas /sarcasm).

Very rarely does anyone see my sidearm. When I answer the door and don't know who it is, I usually ask 'who are you and what do you want?' One time I had a bill collector come to the house, I was outside on the porch with my brother in law. I asked them who they were and what they wanted, they did not answer appropriately, instead simply responded by asking for my mother. I got up to intercept, but they pushed past me and headed towards the door. Which was open and screen unlocked for obvious reasons. Fortunately for the bill collector, my mother got to them before I could. But had she stayed inside, things would have gotten pretty ugly pretty quickly.

This is MY house. My mother, sister and brother in law live here. But my sister and brother in law are guests and I am the head of house hold. If you ignore my questions, if you continue towards my door and move past me. You are asking for trouble. I would have only informed them that they needed to leave once. Barring that I would have immediately called the police. I don't care who you are. If you do not respect me in my home, then you are not welcome here. If you do not leave when I ask you to, I will call the police. If you are still here when they arrive, you will be arrested. If you leave, I will file a report. If you cause any trouble or pose any sort of threat, I will inform you that I am armed and ready to use lethal force in the defense of my home and family. It is a particularly bad idea to ignore my questions and insist on seeing my mother. She has had numerous stalkers, she has been kidnapped, beaten and raped. And that man is still out there looking for her. So by coming to my house, inquiring about my mother, and refusing to state your name and purpose for your visit, you are automatically deemed a threat.

To add on to that, my mother had asked the person to leave, and they refused multiple times. Instead the collector insulted my mother and only opted to leave once I stood up and made my way over there.

In summary. I can be pretty rude when I answer the door. But you better comply with my demands. Do not forget that you are a guest on my property and I have every right under the law to demand your withdrawal. Failing to abide my wishes to leave, you will be arrested, further persistence and aggressive behavior will be met with force. Do not trifle with me, I will crush you.

Last edited:

Daylen

To answer the question posed by the OP. If I have my gun on me, it's concealed. Because I'm about to leave the house(thanks, Texas /sarcasm).

Very rarely does anyone see my sidearm. When I answer the door and don't know who it is, I usually ask 'who are you and what do you want?' One time I had a bill collector come to the house, I was outside on the porch with my brother in law. I asked them who they were and what they wanted, they did not answer appropriately, instead simply responded by asking for my mother. I got up to intercept, but they pushed past me and headed towards the door. Which was open and screen unlocked for obvious reasons. Fortunately for the bill collector, my mother got to them before I could. But had she stayed inside, things would have gotten pretty ugly pretty quickly.

This is MY house. My mother, sister and brother in law live here. But my sister and brother in law are guests and I am the head of house hold. If you ignore my questions, if you continue towards my door and move past me. You are asking for trouble. I would have only informed them that they needed to leave once. Barring that I would have immediately called the police. I don't care who you are. If you do not respect me in my home, then you are not welcome here. If you do not leave when I ask you to, I will call the police. If you are still here when they arrive, you will be arrested. If you leave, I will file a report. If you cause any trouble or pose any sort of threat, I will inform you that I am armed and ready to use lethal force in the defense of my home and family. It is a particularly bad idea to ignore my questions and insist on seeing my mother. She has had numerous stalkers, she has been kidnapped, beaten and raped. And that man is still out there looking for her. So by coming to my house, inquiring about my mother, and refusing to state your name and purpose for your visit, you are automatically deemed a threat.

To add on to that, my mother had asked the person to leave, and they refused multiple times. Instead the collector insulted my mother and only opted to leave once I stood up and made my way over there.

In summary. I can be pretty rude when I answer the door. But you better comply with my demands. Do not forget that you are a guest on my property and I have every right under the law to demand your withdrawal. Failing to abide my wishes to leave, you will be arrested, further persistence and aggressive behavior will be met with force. Do not trifle with me, I will crush you.

You are far kinder than me. I would not tolerate such behavior and would have ejected the person across the property line.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Last time some JWs came to my door, I was OCing also. I'm pretty sure they saw my gun, but they definitely heard me give them notice of their imminent trespass. They sure left in a hurry.

ncwabbit

as a previous poster mentioned, my door is always locked (screen in the summer) and if someone comes to the door i look out the window first to see who it is and if not recognized, e.g., ups/fedex, mail person, or a friend who failed to call first, they are ignored. my FivenseveN is comfortably resting on my hip.

wabbit

ps: jack house, you are more accomodating than i would have been given your mother's history...'friad there might have been a call to request the local undertaker...

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I always have a pistol on me (plus a rifle nearby) in my own home. My house is 3 stories tall, so when the doorbell rings I usually look out the window on the 2nd floor which is where we usually are most of the time. If it is someone I know at the front door (on the 1st floor), I go downstairs, unlock the door and offer for them to come inside. If it is someone I don't know, I don't even bother going downstairs to open the door. I will either challenge them from one of the 2nd story windows or just ignore them until they go away. Simple as that...

William Fisher

FTW!!! I'm sooo stealing this. I always have trouble getting rid of them.

That's what I've never understood. If there is a selected number, just why would you want to drum up competitors for your spot? I'd be doing all I could to get current JWs to backslide or convert to budism or sumpun.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I typically don't open the door unless it's someone I know. They usually just stick something in the door and go on their way. If they don't go away, I have a contingency plan for that.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I've never needed more than a polite, "Thank you but I'm not interested" to get rid of a JW or other evangelical type. I have 3 largish dogs, the small one is 82 lbs, and there is always at least one loaded pistol in the house (if I am not there) and 2 if I am (wife is taking CC class in a few weeks - can't OC in our city and she isn't inclined to anyway although she has a bit in KY out in the boonies), but we keep one in bedroom for her and mine is usually in the room we spend most of our time at home next to me on the coffee table. Late at night or if someone looks hinky, I'll have it in my hand or on my hip, but we just don't have too much trouble like that around here, I think because so many people do own guns.

SFCRetired

Many years ago, I had overnight duty on base. When I got to my apartment, all I wanted to do was sleep. Just dozed off and someone knocked on the door. I got up, pulled my trousers on and went to the door. Real pretty young woman standing there, "Good morning, sir, I'm from the Watchtower Society."

"Yes, ma'am, and I am not interested. Please do not knock on this door again. Thank you." and shut the door.

Dozed off again. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Sounded like someone was trying to break the door down. I looked out the peephole and there is the same young woman with an older woman. Notice that I have not bothered with my trousers and, at the time, I slept in undershorts.

I swung the door wide open, stage-whispered, "Go away." and closed the door. Waited a couple of minutes and looked out the peephole again. They were alternating between looking at the door and at each other with their mouths wide open!!:D

Never had the JWs come around again as long as I lived in that apartment.

Note: the other incident I posted was some years later when I had moved out into the county.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's what I've never understood. If there is a selected number, just why would you want to drum up competitors for your spot? I'd be doing all I could to get current JWs to backslide or convert to budism or sumpun.

Interesting question. I just checked Wikipedia (assuming it is somewhat accurate enough for these purposes). With 7.5 million active members, the majority of them don't think they are going to heaven anyway. I suppose if God wanted Adam & Eve in heaven in the first place, that's where he would have created them, but I don't pretend to be a scholar on such things, especially here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Being as I put my weapon in the holster as soon as I get out of bed, I am OCing when I answer the door. I also have this little sign on my door, right by the doorbell. I have seen them come all the way up to my door, stand for a second, then go away.
I have absolutely no problems with any letter carriers or other delivery services (fedup, oops, etc..). OC is legal in Washington State.

Metalhead47

100% of home invasions happen in homes. Why wouldn't everyone keep a firearm within arm's length at all times?

How is this realistically possible without leaving numerous unsecured firearms around the house (which is a liability in its self)?

That's what I like about living away from the 'burbs. No one ever comes to my house unexpected. If someone ever does, I have weapons easily accessible, if not at "arms reach," from different locations. Between my wife & I, Someone knocking on the door, especially after dark, is likely to have three gun barrels ready to be pointed at them, if it comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Don't worry Metalhead, the JW will find you. I live 10 miles from the nearest town, and 5 from the nearest village. They still found me. I think my driveway isn't long enough or something. :p

Just start answering your door in your skivvies, that'll teach 'em. LOL

Seriously though, some of you folks seem mighty anti-social. Not that I'm judging you for it or anything but it seems a little wierd to me. Maybe it's different in different parts I guess. Around here most people answer the door, unless it's the government. LOL. Usually it's someone who wants to ask permission to hunt or fish or it's just a neighbor that needs something.

To each their own of course. :)

Metalhead47

Don't worry Metalhead, the JW will find you. I live 10 miles from the nearest town, and 5 from the nearest village. They still found me. I think my driveway isn't long enough or something. :p

Just start answering your door in your skivvies, that'll teach 'em. LOL

Seriously though, some of you folks seem mighty anti-social. Not that I'm judging you for it or anything but it seems a little wierd to me. Maybe it's different in different parts I guess. Around here most people answer the door, unless it's the government. LOL. Usually it's someone who wants to ask permission to hunt or fish or it's just a neighbor that needs something.

To each their own of course. :)

The JW's did show up once actually. I offered to teach them how to use the Dark Side of the Force to subjugate their enemies for fun & profit, even invited them in for a drug-fueled orgy, but they just rAn away screaming and haven't been back since.

Seriously tho, back in my pre packing days I did get into a religious discussion with a couple of Mormon missionaries... Let's just say it was less than amusing. If I want to deal with those kinds of round robin thick headed arguments, I'll just come on here :p

Could be local attitudes, true, but some folks are just REALLY sensitive about strangers on their property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Could be local attitudes, true, but some folks are just REALLY sensitive about strangers on their property.

I am too. I've kicked several people off of my property. Of course, I've allowed a few fishermen and even one rabbit hunter that asked permission. I guess I don't get mad when people come and knock on my door because I can't think of any other way for them to ask. I didn't always have land of my own to hunt and fish on and if it wasn't for generous land owners, wouldn't have been able to, at least as much. So, I guess I see it as returning the favor. Not that I'm indiscriminate though, I'm pretty choosy about who I allow.