• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you respond to visitors at your door?

Firedawg314

First let me say... I'm not picking on anyone's religion... just saying what happen.

With all the talks of OCing vs CC vs choices. I, personally, love to wear my gun. Sometimes, I will wear my gun until its time to go to bed. Well, I wear my gun on my hip and I have really nice leather holsters to go with the weapon I wear (just depends on my mood). About 2pm today, my door bell ranged... I didn't think anything about it and open the door. There stood two people (Jevoha Witnesses). They where SO focused on my gun. They could not think what to say. I said, may I help you? After about 30 seconds of stumbling over their words... the lady asked me, "are you a police officer?" I looked her in her eyes and said, no... just a concerned citizen. Then I said... why, did the laws changed that we cannot wear guns in our homes now? Of couse she said no, just "why would you need to wear a gun in this type of negiborhood?" I quickly said, some people carry pepper spray, some carry pocket knifes, and I carry my gun.

I asked (keep in mind.. during this whole time we didn't talk about their magaizines) what would you do if someone comes up to you and want to rob you? Of couse the blanket statement... "the LORD will protect us..." I said... true... but what if? She said, they would give the person what they wanted. I said, that's smart... what if the robber shoots your partner and take off? She really didnt have an answer. But I said, if you have weapon, you could stop the robbery from happening. In fact, maybe you could have "saved" that person, because the look on the robber's face when you and your parter show that that person is out gunned... you could have made history.

So basically, I wasited 20 minutes of my time. The parner was pretty scared because I have a gun. She was audiable about her opinion that "guns are evil" and I baiscally said, don't ask for help from your law enforcement, military and local negibor when you are endangered since ... "guns are evil".

So, I'm probably on the "do not knock" list.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There are JW's who carry firearms, too. They have their ignoramuses about firearms just like everyone else. Then again, some of them might have trouble remembering what topic they were presenting because they might want to discuss your particular choice in hardware. There is a time for every purpose under heaven, I suppose.

I've HEARD (you know what that means) that you can get in trouble for answering the door to the mailman with a gun on your hip. While I want to doubt it, there is always that lingering wonderment about how real that rumor might be.

Firedawg314

There are JW's who carry firearms, too. They have their ignoramuses about firearms just like everyone else. Then again, some of them might have trouble remembering what topic they were presenting because they might want to discuss your particular choice in hardware. There is a time for every purpose under heaven, I suppose.

I've HEARD (you know what that means) that you can get in trouble for answering the door to the mailman with a gun on your hip. While I want to doubt it, there is always that lingering wonderment about how real that rumor might be.

Good point. I would doubt (depending the local laws)... since here in Missouri, you can "have" a gun in your home and in your car, even holstered without a CCW. Since I didn't leave my door way or really the property... I think it would be hard for the case to "hold up" . Unless I was pointing it at them or even holding it in my hand. But even then... but I wouldn't be surpised to see some crazy law come out of it.

sraacke

I've never had a problem with the local JWs. I sleep days and work nights so the come by, knock then leave their flier on my door and leave. I find it around 10pm that night as I leave for work. The few times Ive' been awake when they showed up they didn't bat an eye at the sight of my holstered pistol.

TechnoWeenie

Depends on the time of day/night.

I'm always carrying at my house....

If I get a knock @ 3am, it's gonna be unholstered, and at my side.

If I get a knock @ 3pm, it's gonna be holstered.

As far as the JW thing goes.. I always have a nifty trick of getting rid of them....

I always ask 'well, isn't it true that you guys think that only 144,000 people will get into heaven?'.... followed by the usual 'oh... yes.. only a chosen few are selected to get into the kingdom of heaven'. kinda crap....

My response, regardless of what they say is... 'wouldn't it be a bitch if I was the ******* that took your spot'?

I invariably get a 'well, have a nice day sir'.

:D

G30Mike

My mom is actually a JW. She's never had a problem with my or my sister carrying. She owns a .22 Marlin and keeps it handy. She says she has it in case anything gets after her pets.

A lot of people in her congregation own guns for hunting and sporting, but I highly doubt they have "defense" type weapons.

Their religion is pretty weird to me, but all of my moms friends that I've met have been very nice people and have never flipped out over the gun on my hip. I've had conversations with a few of them and they said that they respected my rights to protect myself, just as I respected their rights to express their religion.

On the topic of how I greet unexpected guests at the door though, daylight, its holstered, after dark, its in my hand. I don't live in the greatest neighborhood.

Last edited:

filhar1

Usually, they see my Doberman and don't want to come in. Actually, my neighboorss are JWs and have never pushed religion on us. The Doberman is also why I don't carry a gun in the house. (Except for the LCP that is always in my pocket)

PistolPackingMomma

As far as the JW thing goes.. I always have a nifty trick of getting rid of them....

I always ask 'well, isn't it true that you guys think that only 144,000 people will get into heaven?'.... followed by the usual 'oh... yes.. only a chosen few are selected to get into the kingdom of heaven'. kinda crap....

My response, regardless of what they say is... 'wouldn't it be a bitch if I was the ******* that took your spot'?

If they ignore my "no solicitors" sign, I may just use this, LOL.

HighFlyingA380

FTW!!! I'm sooo stealing this. I always have trouble getting rid of them.

Daylen

:exclaim::arrow::eek::question: How....? Just the belt and holster? ....Duct tape!

A belt and holster are needed to wear a holstered pistol. Not sure what you think I would duct tape, but I wouldn't let that stuff near my pistol.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...As far as the JW thing goes.. I always have a nifty trick of getting rid of them....
... 'wouldn't it be a bitch if I was the ******* that took your spot'?...

Any of you like-minded people ever ask to be placed on their do-not-call list? I hate people coming to my door, also. I have a gate, dogs, and signs. I have also politely asked to be on do-not-call lists. Works great, and contributes to the same polite society that JWs like as well as the rest of us.

John Canuck

I've never had a JW freak out at the sight of my gun when I open the door. I've never had trouble getting rid of them either. Just say thanks for stopping by and close the door.

SFCRetired

Only one JW ever gave me a problem and I think he was 'round the bend just a wee tad. He came to my house at ten o'clock at night and was actually going to push me aside and come in my house. He left rapidly when he saw what was in my right hand.

The next day, I called the closest Kingdom Hall that I could find and told the person who answered what had happened. They knew immediately who it was and apologized profusely.

For the normal ones, I just tell them that I am not interested, ask to be placed on an ignore list, and wish them a nice day. I haven't been bothered in some time now.

The Mormon missionaries who come around are always polite. I've never had a problem with them.

Daylight hours: I may not be wearing my pistol, but one is within reach.

After dark: Until ten o'clock, I'll be wearing and it'll probably be holstered.

After ten o'clock at night and before nine o'clock in the morning: Either the pistol or the shotgun will be in my hand and the door won't be opened unless I personally know the individual on the other side.

hermannr

If you find my place at night you are big time LOST.

If I tell you how to get back in here in the daytime, you might not find it. I Have never seen a JW or other "missionary" here, ever.

DrakeZ07

If my pistol isn't on my hip when answering the door, then my shotgun is within reach. That is, if someone is stupid enough to ignore the highly visable "NO TRESPASSING" sign at the gate to my driveway.

Last edited:

Ken56

I always have my pistol on my hip at home too and I live in a "nice" neighborhood out in the rural part of the township. I had a young girl scout and her mother knock on my door the other day and answered wearing my gun. Mom noticed it right away but I don't think the girl did. Mom didn't say anything about it and I bought 3 boxes. Lol

Jack House

Only one JW ever gave me a problem and I think he was 'round the bend just a wee tad. He came to my house at ten o'clock at night and was actually going to push me aside and come in my house. He left rapidly when he saw what was in my right hand.
How long till that guy got himself shot is my question. :lol: